IF and Bloodwork Changes

I was wondering if anybody has done Intermittent Fasting (IF) and seen positive affects on their cholesterol and triglyceride levels? I haven't found much here on IF, so I don't know if it's against rules or something. I've been doing IF, after watching those Youtube videos by the nephrologist, for 3 days and lost 9.6 pounds, so I'm really optimistic at this point. I'll probably wait 6 months before checking my lipid values. Just wondering anybody else has seen good results in bloodwork short term.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    If one loses weight, it's not unusual for triglycerides and cholesterol to change for the better. But really the only way you can tell is for you to have your blood tested before and after.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • joyanna2016
    joyanna2016 Posts: 323 Member
    Yes! My yearly triglycerides level was always about 200, several years in a row (like 12), some of those times I was eating in a deficit, but not doing IF. The last 2 years I've been doing IF 18:6. The first year they were 99, just recently 86. My cholesterol has dropped a few points but wasn't affected all that much.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Yes! My yearly triglycerides level was always about 200, several years in a row (like 12), some of those times I was eating in a deficit, but not doing IF. The last 2 years I've been doing IF 18:6. The first year they were 99, just recently 86. My cholesterol has dropped a few points but wasn't affected all that much.

If you also lost weight during those two years of IF, how much did you lose?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,872 Member
    edited June 2021
    Low carb also drops trigs whether in a deficit or not. maybe the OP is going lower carb as well as IF, they tend to be connected at the hip. I do both and my trigs though I haven't checked for about a year are in the 40's generally. Studies are showing up more frequently on the benefits of improved metabolic markers from IF with the most promising in longer fasting protocol's like alternative day fasting. Same day IF where you restrict eating for an 18 hr period (18:6) for example does show some metabolic improvement which is mostly seen in Ramadan studies but researchers are easily finding grants for IF so I suspect better controlled studies will come out more frequently. IF is like CR and in that respect will show similar outcomes but IF is showing improved outcomes in the absence of CR. It's a wait and see game for now.
  • joyanna2016
    kshama2001 wrote: »

About 40 lbs. There were many days I didn't eat in a deficit though. I also, think the person who posted above about low carbs being key is also correct because, not that I did low carb per say but I ate less. In effect low-carbing-it is what you're doing in the fasting window.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,872 Member

About 40 lbs. There were many days I didn't eat in a deficit though. I also, think the person who posted above about low carbs being key is also correct because, not that I did low carb per say but I ate less. In effect low-carbing-it is what you're doing in the fasting window.

I didn't refer to low carb as key to lowering trigs, I said that trigs are reduced in an isocaloric state when in a low carb diet. Calorie restriction reduces trigs but not as much, that is all. Like cwolfman13 said, after he put on 40 lbs his trigs were through the roof, which is typical and why MetS has elevated trigs as a marker to watch because it comes with associated unhealthy other markers by default.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member

I think the weight loss part is key.
  • joyanna2016

I didn't refer to low carb as key to lowering trigs, I said that trigs are reduced in an isocaloric state when in a low carb diet. Calorie restriction reduces trigs but not as much, that is all. Like cwolfman13 said, after he put on 40 lbs his trigs were through the roof, which is typical and why MetS has elevated trigs as a marker to watch because it comes with associated unhealthy other markers by default.

Sorry I misquoted you! 😀 I didn't read it closely enough!
  • joyanna2016

I think the weight loss part is key.

Maybe so. All I know is I like whats happening here and I'm going to keep doing it!
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    tsazani wrote: »
    When I went LCHF + fasting all my labs became great. Blood pressure too.

I was able to quit 4 meds. For diabetes, high BP, TGs/cholesterol, and enlarged prostate.

How much was your weight different between labs?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,554 Member
    tsazani wrote: »
    When I went LCHF + fasting all my labs became great. Blood pressure too.

I was able to quit 4 meds. For diabetes, high BP, TGs/cholesterol, and enlarged prostate.

+ Quiting stressful job + exercise?