Apple cider vinegar?

Has anyone had any success with apple cider vinegar? I’ve heard that it could potentially help and aid with weight loss!

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    I like apple cider vinegar for a lot of things. In many recipes I use it in place of regular white vinegar. I use it in a couple skin care products I make myself (very diluted). I think it tastes good, but I have a hard time imagining myself drinking it by itself (I assume that's the idea?) I know some people do that for colds. We have one recipe that calls for a LOT of vinegar - you know it's enough when you lean over the pot and cough when you inhale the fumes :D - so I guess that could clear out your sinuses.

I read the link PAV8888 posted but I'm still a little confused about how exactly it would work for weight loss.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    I like apple cider vinegar for a lot of things. In many recipes I use it in place of regular white vinegar. I use it in a couple skin care products I make myself (very diluted). I think it tastes good, but I have a hard time imagining myself drinking it by itself (I assume that's the idea?) I know some people do that for colds. We have one recipe that calls for a LOT of vinegar - you know it's enough when you lean over the pot and cough when you inhale the fumes :D - so I guess that could clear out your sinuses.

I read the link PAV8888 posted but I'm still a little confused about how exactly it would work for weight loss.

If someone drank it straight and it made them nauseous and thus decreased their appetite, they could conceivably lose weight :lol:

When I had Anaplasmosis, I had nausea and reduced appetite, and lost weight, but I don't recommend this. (Or ACV. Or phentermine.)

Mild-moderate exercise is my preferred form of mild appetite suppressant. Plus I earn exercise calories!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,540 Member
    edited June 2021
    For what it's worth I don't use ACV since I prefer red wine or raspberry wine vinegar in my salad and malt vinegar on my fish and chips while white vinegar is my go-to for cleaning with vinegar!

I don't see myself drinking ACV on the overwhelming majority of my days moving forward and I prefer coffee anyway! Black. And Strong.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    During weight loss, I drank ACV daily for weeks at a time, and didn't drink it at all for other weeks at a time, tracking calorie intake/expenditure carefully in both cases. I noticed zip zero nada no difference in weight loss rate between those time periods, nor did I notice any effect on appetite or other subjective stuff. There is no scientific evidence that it has a meaningful effect on weight loss.

(The reasons I was drinking it had nothing to do with weight loss, and were speculative/experimental. The reasons I stopped for weeks also had nothing to do with weight loss. Also - unlike some people who've reported above - I think it's pretty tasty and I like it, straight.)

Sooner or later someone will join the thread and say it will erode your teeth, hurt your esophagus, or something like that, because it's soSO acidic. I'm too lazy to find and post the ADA research data and commercial ACV pH range again (for the nth time) to illustrate the case, but ACV straight is not as acidic as lots of common soda pop, tea, or sports drink beverages. It can be hard on teeth to sip on acidic beverages all day long, so don't do that.

I just drink my daily ACV straight, fairly quickly, with a water chaser. No nausea or other dire consequences, for me, though I'm willing to believe others who say it makes them feel ill . . . if they've actually tried drinking it. People vary.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    @AnnPT77 Do you ever experiment with shrubs? I apologize if we have already had this discussion tangent to another ACV thread. It seems the ACV threads were really popping for a while there, but I haven't seen any in a while. I love lemonade and any tart citrus with soda, so when I learned of shrubs, I fell in love with the idea. Any fruit in the kitchen -- I made a shrub in varying proportions with different vinegars and different aging. Refrigerator looked like a science experiment. Alas, after all that I never really developed a taste for them.

I'm thinking of a basil infused strawberry balsamic shrub.... I think I've had a soda like this, and it was good! Probably had a lot more sugar than I'm inclined to use. Maybe I will have to give that another try. Maybe for Father's Day when we're smoking meats for a big ol' BBQ.
  • AnnPT77
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    @AnnPT77 Do you ever experiment with shrubs? I apologize if we have already had this discussion tangent to another ACV thread. It seems the ACV threads were really popping for a while there, but I haven't seen any in a while. I love lemonade and any tart citrus with soda, so when I learned of shrubs, I fell in love with the idea. Any fruit in the kitchen -- I made a shrub in varying proportions with different vinegars and different aging. Refrigerator looked like a science experiment. Alas, after all that I never really developed a taste for them.

I'm thinking of a basil infused strawberry balsamic shrub.... I think I've had a soda like this, and it was good! Probably had a lot more sugar than I'm inclined to use. Maybe I will have to give that another try. Maybe for Father's Day when we're smoking meats for a big ol' BBQ.

Yes, though not so much with making them as drinking them. I first learned about shrubs decades back, when a friend with re-enactor tendencies made some blueberry shrub. More recently, I've bought commercial ones to use in mixed drinks/cocktails. (So, so healthy! 😉) McClary Brothers (https://www.mcclarybros.com/) make some tasty ones (a person could get ideas . . .); and I have anther one in the fridge now that I haven't tried yet, called "Amish Harvest Sipping Vinegar Blend" that has (they say) 20 herbs and spices plus 5 fruit juice concentrates.

I'm kind of nutso about vinegars. Other than some of these drinking types, I don't usually buy flavored vinegars, but always have many different basic vinegar types on hand to use in cooking (with my own seasoning choices), because different base vinegars have different flavors. Offhand, I'm pretty sure that now I have ACV, red wine, white wine, sherry, champagne, beer, coconut, balsamic (basic), balsamic (fancy aged), white balsamic, malt, and brown rice vinegar, at least. I'll get raw vinegars if I can, but most are pasteurized.

I should probably try DIY shrubs. I used to make liqueurs, some very good (cranberry, tart cherry, . . .), others quite horrifying (basil, marigold . . . ). Shrubs are the same concept, but with vinegar rather than alcohol, more or less, I guess.

I'm not a huge fan of sweet drinks, usually, and IME the commercial mixer-type vinegars can be only lightly sweet, with the nice tang from the vinegar for balance. (Not a vinegar thing, but I even like to drink plain sparkling water with bitters - like you'd put in cocktails - and maybe a citrus wedge, no sweetener. Right now, I'm working on a bottle of cucumber bitters, and running out of a wonderful but no longer available bottle of smoked apple bitters. 😋 I should probably experiment with making my own bitters.)

I think sweet stuff, like regular soda pop, that most people seem to like, is kind of icky. I'm weird.🤷‍♀️
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    My favorite appetite suppressant is reduced sodium V8.

I have no idea why but I drink one of those, and I am DONE for a good long while. I even like them but they instantly kill my desire to eat anything else dead.

(Which is to say no, re: ACV)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    @wunderkindking Completely agree on V8. I used to stock them in my desk for nights I had to work late and was running on empty. I could get another 2 solid hours of work out of a can of V8 (12 oz, not the wimpy little ones).

@AnnPT77 I like bitters in soda too, currently have rhubarb and peach (although the peach isn't a strong taste). Not original or creative, but I really like Angostura, too. I also like bitter amaros like Cynar with soda. I tried making ginger bitters once and it turned out terrible -- I think it was the everclear. I should try again with vodka. For a ginger spike of flavor, I've really had the best luck just pureeing with water & straining.

Back to shrubs, I thought sugar was an important component for getting the fruit flavor to fuse into the vinegar. I suspect I didn't use enough to soften the vinegar. And I always added them to soda for a sparkling drink, never straight. I think your taste for tart is more robust than mine. But obviously I still haven't let go of this idea despite my dismal results.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Sooner or later someone will join the thread and say it will erode your teeth, hurt your esophagus, or something like that, because it's soSO acidic. I'm too lazy to find and post the ADA research data and commercial ACV pH range again (for the nth time) to illustrate the case, but ACV straight is not as acidic as lots of common soda pop, tea, or sports drink beverages. It can be hard on teeth to sip on acidic beverages all day long, so don't do that.

It really is hard on teeth. pH of around 2-3 same as lemon juice. I think soaking your teeth in that all day every day can't be good.

• AnnPT77

It really is hard on teeth. pH of around 2-3 same as lemon juice. I think soaking your teeth in that all day every day can't be good.

Of course it's not good for teeth.

But PowerAde Orange is pH 2.75, Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice is 2.6, Minute Maid Lemonade is 2.7, Coca-Cola Classic is 2.37, Rockstar Energy Drink 2.74, Arizona Iced Tea 2.75 . . . and there are dozens more popular drinks in that pH 2-3 range. I suspect many more people are soaking their teeth in those for longer time periods than are doing so with ACV, but the tsk-tsking about acidity pretty much always comes up on ACV threads, pretty much never on Coke or sports drink threads.

Further, many people who drink ACV dilute it with water, which increases the pH (makes it less acidic). I'm not saying it's a boon to teeth - no acidic food/beverage is - just saying it's far from unusually risky, especially when diluted.

This is the ADA link, but it is not usually clickable because of spaces in it:

https://ada.org/en/~/media/ADA/Public%20Programs/Files/JADA_The%20pH%20of%20beverages%20in%20the%20United%20States

Should be able to cut/paste the full URL to see the American Dental Association PDF.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

But PowerAde Orange is pH 2.75, Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice is 2.6, Minute Maid Lemonade is 2.7, Coca-Cola Classic is 2.37, Rockstar Energy Drink 2.74, Arizona Iced Tea 2.75 . . . and there are dozens more popular drinks in that pH 2-3 range. I suspect many more people are soaking their teeth in those for longer time periods than are doing so with ACV, but the tsk-tsking about acidity pretty much always comes up on ACV threads, pretty much never on Coke or sports drink threads.

Further, many people who drink ACV dilute it with water, which increases the pH (makes it less acidic). I'm not saying it's a boon to teeth - no acidic food/beverage is - just saying it's far from unusually risky, especially when diluted.

https://ada.org/en/~/media/ADA/Public%20Programs/Files/JADA_The%20pH%20of%20beverages%20in%20the%20United%20States

Should be able to cut/paste the full URL to see the American Dental Association PDF.

Yeah, I totally agree with you. I do have the same reservations about soft drinks. My mother is a dentist and we've been taught to rinse our mouth after soft drinks (which we don't consume often anyway), so I'm simply aware of the fact.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member

Yeah, I totally agree with you. I do have the same reservations about soft drinks. My mother is a dentist and we've been taught to rinse our mouth after soft drinks (which we don't consume often anyway), so I'm simply aware of the fact.

My dentist has a mini version of that chart in her office posted in the children's play area. I still drink the occasional diet soda, but wow was that an eye-opener. She's also the one who told my husband that black coffee is very hard on the teeth, and that the calories from milk or half-and-half are well worth it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,486 Member
    I use it to make adobo.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    ACV is great to rinse your hair with every once and a while. :) Wouldn't drink it though.