Not seeing any results after almost a month! Getting frustrated!

I have reached a point where I feel extremely disheartened. I'm trying my best to get rid of lingering body fat, especially belly fat, and I just have not been seeing much results. Ive been doing pretty much everything right, watching my portion sizes, tracking my calories, strength training, eating adequate protein, and cardio but nothing has really changed. It's been about 3 weeks, almost a month and by now I expected to see SOMETHING. I try not to pay too much attention to the scale but I "lost" 2 llbs and went away for the weekend, wasn't really exercising or tracking my macros or calories and when I got back the scale went back to 130lbs, so I went from 128lbs back to 130lbs. I'm only 5'2 and I'm really trying to do this the right way, the last time I had lost weight I went from 130 to 115 but I still had belly fat and body fat and I'm really not trying to have that happen again.
My ultimate goal is a curvier figure with nice definition and overall a more proportionate body. I have broad shoulders but I have realized that they look "broad" because my upper arms are fat. I feel in my heart that I can reach this goal, its just getting rid of the body fat has been extremely challenging. What should I do😪? Should I tweak something in my routine or has it just not been that long and I need to keep working?

Replies

• tluisa311
    tluisa311 Posts: 113 Member
    It really comes down to your deficit. I would guess that your calorie intake or outtake isn't accurate. If you're consistently in a deficit, then you will lose weight. On days that you're not in a deficit, your intake should be the calories you need to maintain your weight, which will prevent you from gaining anything back.
  • candysashab88
    candysashab88 Posts: 71 Member
    it appears that I have gained 3 pounds in two day and i Havent changed anything? Is this water weight or part of the normal fluctation stuff
  • kontehhalima
    kontehhalima Posts: 44 Member
    It really comes down to your deficit. I would guess that your calorie intake or outtake isn't accurate. If you're consistently in a deficit, then you will lose weight. On days that you're not in a deficit, your intake should be the calories you need to maintain your weight, which will prevent you from gaining anything back.

I have been in a deficit consistently and I eat adequate protein while keeping my fat low. I don't even eat my mother's cooking because I know she cooks with so much oil so I have been making my own food being very careful and mindful what I put on my plate. I workout 3-4 times a week and walk on days I'm not working out. I really have no idea why I haven't seen any results😪. Maybe I need to an even larger deficit? However I feel as if I cut my calories lower from 1500-1600 to 1400 that wouldn't be very healthy and I'll end up looking "skinny fat" .
  • devash77
    devash77 Posts: 18 Member
    You could use an app like HappyScale to watch your weight trends; it's helpful as a woman due to fluctuations of weight during cycle changes.

You also might try weighing your food for a while to make sure you're not underestimating calories; it's super easy to do.

Also, are you getting enough sleep? Are you super stressed out? Are you on any medications? Sometimes these things can play into the equation too.

I know it must be so frustrating, but don't give up! There must be an answer somewhere. (hug)
  • candysashab88
    candysashab88 Posts: 71 Member
    Thank you for that article @AnnPT77 , that's helpful. This is my second week and im like oh darn it. I will stick with it. Maybe my sodium intake is not my friend.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,964 Member
    Thank you for that article @AnnPT77 , that's helpful. This is my second week and im like oh darn it. I will sticks with it. Maybe my sodium intake is not my friend.

Unless you have reason to be worried about sodium intake (such as high blood pressure), I honestly wouldn't worry about it. Water fluctuation is what healthy bodies do, in response to a huge range of situations - literally, the fluctuation is *part of being healthy*, how a healthy body adjusts to varied circumstances.

It's not fat gain or loss, so IMO, the thing to do is understand it, and focus on the real goal of *fat* loss . . . which will show up in a longer-term trend, not over a day or few. For me, a rule of thumb is that multi-pound weight changes over a day or few, those are going to be water and digestive contents, primarily. Over many days to weeks, fat loss can show up on the scale. Over months to years, any changes in muscle mass that may be happening can start to be meaningful. Focusing on short run scale changes is just an exercise in frustration.

Personally, I don't think I even have a true current weight. What I have is a current range, up and down a few pounds. For example, over the past 7 days, I've weighed anything from 123 pounds to 126.6 (and not 123 at the start, 126.6 at the end, or vice versa - those are just the extremes of random ups and downs across those days).

Over weeks to months, changes in that range tell me my trend. I'm mostly in maintenance now, so I have to go back a ways to give an example, to when I was (re-losing) a few vanity pounds slowly in maintenance. On the same dates in January 2021, 7 day period, my weight ranged randomly up and down with extreme points of 125.6 to 127.4. Conclusion: I've lost a little weight since then.

Make sense?

A weight trending app can help you visualize the trend, but even they can mislead sometimes. (They just use statistics to "smooth out" the bumpiness of daily weights.) Example weight trending apps are Happy Scale for iOS/Apple, Libra for Android, Trendweight with a free Fitbit account (don't need a device), Weightgrapher, and I'm sure there are others. Just remember: They can mislead sometimes, too . . . just maybe a little less often than the scale does.

IMO, way too many people take on unnecessarily high stress by over-reacting to short term scale changes (day to day stuff). It's a trap. When we do that, we can be shooting ourselves in the foot. Some people see a totally random spike, think they need to cut calories eaten, ramp up exercise, and work themselves to a point of deprivation and exhaustion where they give up. Don't do that. Be patient. Watch the longer term trends. Given any new approach a month, at least, before making another change based on the results.

You can do this!
  • kontehhalima
    kontehhalima Posts: 44 Member
    edited June 2021
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    It looks like you're female, and I'm going to guess from your comments about your mother's cooking that you're still of pre-menopausal age.

Don't evaluate weight loss until you can compare body weights at the same relative point in at least 2 different menstrual cycles. Hormone-related water fluctuations can be weird, and can be very individualized. I've seen some here say they reach a new low weight only once per month, at a particular point in their monthly cycle. Three weeks is not long enough to evaluate.

I hear what you're saying about feeling frustrated: That's understandable.

I'd also observe that you don't have much weight to lose (you're not significantly overweight). At that stage, accurate logging and patience will be good friends. I'm not criticizing your logging, simply observing that it's a somewhat technical thing, so there's a learning curve for all of us.

it appears that I have gained 3 pounds in two day and i Havent changed anything? Is this water weight or part of the normal fluctation stuff

This is normal *and* probably normal fluctuation *from* water weight. If you didn't eat 10,500 calories over your maintenance calories in the last few days, or moved that much less - which you'd notice, right? - then there's really nothing else it can be except water fluctuation, or changes in digestive contents on their way to becoming waste. (It would require around 10,500 calories over maintenance to gain 3 pounds of fat.)

I gained 2.8 pounds in the past 2 days, which is more than 2% of my current body weight (125 pounds). I don't care, because I didn't eat 9,800 excess calories, so it can't be fat. 🤷‍♀️

This would be a good article for both of you to read:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations

Thank you so much for the information, I greatly appreciate it! I'm 23 years old just for more context. But im glad to say that I measured myself this morning and I've noticed that I've lost just about half an inch around my waist, arms, and belly. My hips seem just about the same which I'm glad about because I've been lifting heavy for my lower body to for a more curvier physique. I hope this is genuine progress instead of measuring inconsistencies! I'm going to stop being so hard on my self and stop doubting myself so much. Thank you!

P.S : Is it normal for your hips/ butt to measure bigger at night? Sometimes when I measure myself at night the measuring tape tells me my hips are 37.5 almost 38 at times, but in the morning it goes back to 37. Like I said before I lift heavy on my lower body, is this a sign of muscle growth? My ultimate goal is 40in hips!!
  • Krisydee103
    Krisydee103 Posts: 416 Member
    I have reached a point where I feel extremely disheartened. I'm trying my best to get rid of lingering body fat, especially belly fat, and I just have not been seeing much results. Ive been doing pretty much everything right, watching my portion sizes, tracking my calories, strength training, eating adequate protein, and cardio but nothing has really changed. It's been about 3 weeks, almost a month and by now I expected to see SOMETHING. I try not to pay too much attention to the scale but I "lost" 2 llbs and went away for the weekend, wasn't really exercising or tracking my macros or calories and when I got back the scale went back to 130lbs, so I went from 128lbs back to 130lbs. I'm only 5'2 and I'm really trying to do this the right way, the last time I had lost weight I went from 130 to 115 but I still had belly fat and body fat and I'm really not trying to have that happen again.
    My ultimate goal is a curvier figure with nice definition and overall a more proportionate body. I have broad shoulders but I have realized that they look "broad" because my upper arms are fat. I feel in my heart that I can reach this goal, its just getting rid of the body fat has been extremely challenging. What should I do😪? Should I tweak something in my routine or has it just not been that long and I need to keep working?

Weight trainning for body contour and definition is your best friend, and building muscle will rev up your metabolism and burn fat. If you've hit a plateau, intermittent fasting will also be your best friend. I follow Dr. Berg and Thomas Delaeur on YouTube. Life changers in this matter. Hope this helps.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,964 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    It looks like you're female, and I'm going to guess from your comments about your mother's cooking that you're still of pre-menopausal age.

Don't evaluate weight loss until you can compare body weights at the same relative point in at least 2 different menstrual cycles. Hormone-related water fluctuations can be weird, and can be very individualized. I've seen some here say they reach a new low weight only once per month, at a particular point in their monthly cycle. Three weeks is not long enough to evaluate.

I hear what you're saying about feeling frustrated: That's understandable.

I'd also observe that you don't have much weight to lose (you're not significantly overweight). At that stage, accurate logging and patience will be good friends. I'm not criticizing your logging, simply observing that it's a somewhat technical thing, so there's a learning curve for all of us.

This is normal *and* probably normal fluctuation *from* water weight. If you didn't eat 10,500 calories over your maintenance calories in the last few days, or moved that much less - which you'd notice, right? - then there's really nothing else it can be except water fluctuation, or changes in digestive contents on their way to becoming waste. (It would require around 10,500 calories over maintenance to gain 3 pounds of fat.)

I gained 2.8 pounds in the past 2 days, which is more than 2% of my current body weight (125 pounds). I don't care, because I didn't eat 9,800 excess calories, so it can't be fat. 🤷‍♀️

This would be a good article for both of you to read:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations

Thank you so much for the information, I greatly appreciate it! I'm 23 years old just for more context. But im glad to say that I measured myself this morning and I've noticed that I've lost just about half an inch around my waist, arms, and belly. My hips seem just about the same which I'm glad about because I've been lifting heavy for my lower body to for a more curvier physique. I hope this is genuine progress instead of measuring inconsistencies! I'm going to stop being so hard on my self and stop doubting myself so much. Thank you!

P.S : Is it normal for your hips/ butt to measure bigger at night? Sometimes when I measure myself at night the measuring tape tells me my hips are 37.5 almost 38 at times, but in the morning it goes back to 37. Like I said before I lift heavy on my lower body, is this a sign of muscle growth? My ultimate goal is 40in hips!!

Sadly, muscle mass gain is very slow, a matter of many, many weeks to months or years.

If your hips are noticeably bigger in the evening, I think it's likely to be one of two things: (1) A little water retention, if after your workouts maybe the water retained for muscle repair causing a little "pump" in the areas that were worked out, or (2) gravity over the course of the day redistributing something (probably water) downward on your body, after moving from horizontal body position overnight to vertical in the daytime.

I'm sorry if that's discouraging, but I think it's probable.

Muscle mass gain, like I said, is very slow (a pound of new mass over a woman's total body in a month would be a really good gain under excellent conditions, most often we'd see less). Trying to lose fat weight is somewhat at counter-purposes to trying to gain muscle: A calorie surplus creates best conditions for mass gain. I'm not saying there would be zero gains in a calorie deficit, because that's not inevitable. If new to strength training, the odds of some gain are a bit better, but the bigger the deficit, the further the probability is going to drop.

Strength training for mass gain is an exercise in patience. Strength gain can be much faster than mass gain, because early strength gains come from better recruiting/using pre-existing muscle fibers (neuromuscular adaptation, NMA). There can even be some quicker appearance improvements from a variety of factors, making a person look more muscular without actually adding new muscle fibers (mass).

Mass gain comes much slower. With a good progressive strength training program faithfully performed, patience, adequate fuel (calories), patience, good nutrition (especially but not exclusively adequate protein), and patience, mass gain will come. 😉

Are you using a good program, such as Strong Curves, for example?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    edited June 2021
    Are you weighing your food by scale or guestimating? Also your BMR is about 1300 so your deficit is small (a little over 200 calories if I base it on your activity and calorie intake).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    [

You’ve gotten great advice here. Bodies fluctuate and “talk” all the time. They’re never static- until we die. Heck, mine politely notifies me when the barometer is fixing to change.

Regarding nighttime measurements. Two observations.

I am considerably thicker in the gut before bed than I am in the morning. It may be because most my calories tend towards 2-9pm. It may be (TMI but true) elimination habits. It may be because I remember to catch up on hydrating in the late afternoon/evening. There’s nothing abnormal there.

My kids even have a name for for it: “Food Baby”.

Secondly, please be kind to yourself. If you’re weighing yourself morning noon and night, you’re too immersed. Step back and chill out. I know it’s still early days and it’s like a little kid watching a seed every day, and waiting for that first leaf to show, but don’t become obsessive about it.

And third, since I can’t count, it’s only been three weeks. Good heavens! Stick with it, if you’re truly doing what you say you’re doing, things will start to happen.

And fourth, since I’m on a roll and have a big ol” advice dispensing mama-mouth: >>>I… went away for the weekend, wasn't really exercising or tracking my macros or calories<<< it’s awful easy to blow three weeks of careful management in a casual weekend. Being casual was what got us here in the first place, right? Learn new habits. You don’t want to lose the weight and fall back into casual habits just to gain it all back again!

Much success to you! Be patient, weigh your food accurately, and log honestly!