Transformations men that are 6' plus (w/pics) please

Options
JRugg1946
JRugg1946 Posts: 58 Member
Im 6'4" 260 at the moment, and 41.
Im looking for men who are close to my height who have made transformations.
Pics would be great, im looking to see similar people, so i can see what i could do and strive for.
I cant unpload pics, but my build in my profile pic, i was at 285..

Replies

• JRugg1946
    edited June 2021
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    52sksazowaml.jpeg

This might not exactly be what you’re looking for but here’s what six years of very consistent lifting while controlling diet looks like for me.
    Left: July 2015, 168lbs ~18% body fat
    Right: June 2021 (Monday evening) 174lbs ~11%

I’m meticulous about tracking my intake and a little fanatical about data collection but it’s worked well for me. For reference, age-wise that was from 26 to 32 currently and I’m 6’1”. I’m currently following Renaissance Periodization’s nutrition and workout templates and like them a lot, though I have only adopted them in the last few months and have tried a lot of different things in the past finding what works well for me.

Still pretty bad *kitten* results. Ill have to look up what you have mentioned, once i stop getting results with just doing CICO.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    JRugg1946 wrote: »
    52sksazowaml.jpeg

This might not exactly be what you’re looking for but here’s what six years of very consistent lifting while controlling diet looks like for me.

I’m meticulous about tracking my intake and a little fanatical about data collection but it’s worked well for me. For reference, age-wise that was from 26 to 32 currently and I’m 6’1”. I’m currently following Renaissance Periodization’s nutrition and workout templates and like them a lot, though I have only adopted them in the last few months and have tried a lot of different things in the past finding what works well for me.

Still pretty bad *kitten* results. Ill have to look up what you have mentioned, once i stop getting results with just doing CICO.

It still all comes down to CICO but I have seen some qualitative advantages to RP's principles in terms of gym performance and body composition/aesthetics. I do highly recommend checking out their website, podcast, and Mike Isratel's youtube channel if you do want to learn more of the science side.

Beyond overall adherence to the correct number of calories for your goal, their methodology encourages lean proteins, healthy carb sources (whole grains and fruit), and healthy fats with protein dosed consistently throughout the day to optimize utilization, and vegetables at every meal. It's a pretty common sense approach; eat as high quality food as is practical in the right amounts for your goals.

I'm following the advanced, 6-day, full body version of their Men's Physique Template. Boils down to a hypertrophy focused PPLPPL with built in deloads and auto-regulation to ramp volume and RIR in between. I'm only on week 3 of the first meso and really digging it. The Mrs. has already made a few unsolicited comments, which is nice. Thankfully, I think I've overcome some significant stagnation in my aesthetic progress in the last year or so with better programming and actually doing a lean bulk last fall.
  • JRugg1946
    Options
    52sksazowaml.jpeg

It still all comes down to CICO but I have seen some qualitative advantages to RP's principles in terms of gym performance and body composition/aesthetics. I do highly recommend checking out their website, podcast, and Mike Isratel's youtube channel if you do want to learn more of the science side.

Beyond overall adherence to the correct number of calories for your goal, their methodology encourages lean proteins, healthy carb sources (whole grains and fruit), and healthy fats with protein dosed consistently throughout the day to optimize utilization, and vegetables at every meal. It's a pretty common sense approach; eat as high quality food as is practical in the right amounts for your goals.

I'm following the advanced, 6-day, full body version of their Men's Physique Template. Boils down to a hypertrophy focused PPLPPL with built in deloads and auto-regulation to ramp volume and RIR in between. I'm only on week 3 of the first meso and really digging it. The Mrs. has already made a few unsolicited comments, which is nice. Thankfully, I think I've overcome some significant stagnation in my aesthetic progress in the last year or so with better programming and actually doing a lean bulk last fall.

Thats awesome! I believe i have a bit of muscle under the fat i have, even at 283 alot of ppl thought i was at most 240s. I carry weight in a way that shocks most people when they hear my weight compared to how i look like i weigh. Im 283 in my profile.
  • JRugg1946
    Options
    Bump
  • JRugg1946
    Options
    There has gotta be more people who are closer to 6'4 and where close to 270 when they started thier transformation.
    Or do only people under 6' and 270 visit this site?
  • JRugg1946
    Options
    lx1x wrote: »
    4duiy4pfa6ky.jpg
    240ish to 190
    6'3"..
    Old photo..

Nice, how you do it, just watching what you eat? How long did it take you?
    Three years ago i was in a accident and was in a wheelchair for almost 8 months. People thought because i was 280+ that i would gain weight, i lost 40lbs in just the 2 weeks i was in the hospital somehow, by the end of the 8 months i had lost 83lbs. I gained it all back a year later.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    4duiy4pfa6ky.jpg
    240ish to 190
    6'3"..
    Old photo..

Three years ago i was in a accident and was in a wheelchair for almost 8 months. People thought because i was 280+ that i would gain weight, i lost 40lbs in just the 2 weeks i was in the hospital somehow, by the end of the 8 months i had lost 83lbs. I gained it all back a year later.

Just eat right portion .. in the calories mfp suggested.. took at least 8months or more.. was couple years ago.. on maintenance now..

Still ate fast food.. had ice creams etc.. only drastic thing I did was stop drinking sodas.. used to drink a lot.... now hardly any. Mostly water nowadays.
  • JRugg1946
    Options
    4duiy4pfa6ky.jpg
    240ish to 190
    6'3"..
    Old photo..

Just eat right portion .. in the calories mfp suggested.. took at least 8months or more.. was couple years ago.. on maintenance now..

Still ate fast food.. had ice creams etc.. only drastic thing I did was stop drinking sodas.. used to drink a lot.... now hardly any. Mostly water nowadays.

I also cut out, soda, amazing how many calories i was drinking! Just water, and every now and then once or twice a week ill have a coke zero. Just water other than that, and black iced coffee
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Just put In your info on the app.. go with the calories suggested and be patient.. you'll get to your goal in no time..
  • steveko89
    Options
    Just put In your info on the app.. go with the calories suggested and be patient.. you'll get to your goal in no time..

Calories will always be the driver for weight loss but I find the default macro recommendation (50% C 20%P 30%F) to be too low protein if on a cut. That's enough protein to achieve the minimum RDA but suboptimal for preserving and/or gaining lean mass. I maintain well at 40/30/30 and cut closer to an even 33% split (aiming for ~1 lb/week loss).

0.6-0.8 g protein/lb body weight is shown to be more optimal for muscle gain/retention
    0.3-0.5 g fat/lb is what I've seen recommended for healthy fat intake
    Fill out the rest of your calories with carbs (the more whole grains and fruit the better) at 4 cal/g
  • JRugg1946
    Options

Calories will always be the driver for weight loss but I find the default macro recommendation (50% C 20%P 30%F) to be too low protein if on a cut. That's enough protein to achieve the minimum RDA but suboptimal for preserving and/or gaining lean mass. I maintain well at 40/30/30 and cut closer to an even 33% split (aiming for ~1 lb/week loss).

0.6-0.8 g protein/lb body weight is shown to be more optimal for muscle gain/retention
    Fill out the rest of your calories with carbs (the more whole grains and fruit the better) at 4 cal/g

I changed my macro percentages to match exactly those numbers. I believe i am around 180lbs of lean muscle mass at 260lbs and 6'4. Im at 180grams protein if i did the math right, 92 grams fat and the rest is carbs.
  • JRugg1946
    edited June 2021
    Options
    zsrn2afh5253.jpg

Me today, with my Daughter and wife, i have a belly hiding what i feel is a muscular frame.

5l7otnori41e.jpg

Im 260 in top picture now,
    3 months ago in bottom picture i was 283
  • steveko89
    Options

I changed my macro percentages to match exactly those numbers. I believe i am around 180lbs of lean muscle mass at 260lbs and 6'4. Im at 180grams protein if i did the math right, 92 grams fat and the rest is carbs.

180g protein is probably a good target, don't sweat it too much if you end up +/- 20g or so on a given day. The biggest driver is still consistently being in a caloric deficit. I also agree that if you trim down the gut you'll be in great shape aesthetically; you look to have good size in your chest and shoulders already.

What loss rate/daily deficit are you aiming for? A 1% drop in total body weight per week is about the maximum you can do and have it primarily be fat, though I find I really struggle with hunger and energy levels at that big of a deficit (for me it's ~1.7-1.8 lbs/week so ~-900/day). However, if I stick closer to 0.5% for a goal I can hit that consistently much easier. Sure it takes a little longer but it's a much more pleasant experience and I struggle less with adherence and consistency. Aggressive goals are fine so long as the don't reduce your consistency so much that they're unsustainable. If you have any history of binge-type eating or an all-or-nothing type personality I'd be wary of trying to push the deficit too hard.
  • JRugg1946
    Options

180g protein is probably a good target, don't sweat it too much if you end up +/- 20g or so on a given day. The biggest driver is still consistently being in a caloric deficit. I also agree that if you trim down the gut you'll be in great shape aesthetically; you look to have good size in your chest and shoulders already.

What loss rate/daily deficit are you aiming for? A 1% drop in total body weight per week is about the maximum you can do and have it primarily be fat, though I find I really struggle with hunger and energy levels at that big of a deficit (for me it's ~1.7-1.8 lbs/week so ~-900/day). However, if I stick closer to 0.5% for a goal I can hit that consistently much easier. Sure it takes a little longer but it's a much more pleasant experience and I struggle less with adherence and consistency. Aggressive goals are fine so long as the don't reduce your consistency so much that they're unsustainable. If you have any history of binge-type eating or an all-or-nothing type personality I'd be wary of trying to push the deficit too hard.

My thought originally was to get into the 190s, but i am thinking ill try to drop 10lbs a month and see where im happy. My problem i think was i was drinking my calories in sugary drinks, i believe from my calorie intake now of 2092, and seeing the portion sizes. Between what i was eating and drinking, im guessing i was probably taking in 6000 calories a day give or take.
  • steveko89
    Options

My thought originally was to get into the 190s, but i am thinking ill try to drop 10lbs a month and see where im happy. My problem i think was i was drinking my calories in sugary drinks, i believe from my calorie intake now of 2092, and seeing the portion sizes. Between what i was eating and drinking, im guessing i was probably taking in 6000 calories a day give or take.

That's probably about the most aggressive I would try and go. At 6'4" and your build, I'd guess 210-215 would probably look solid at <20% body fat (assuming your assessment of 180 lbs lean mass and mostly fat loss to get there). For reference, pre-2015 I hadn't really done much real lifting, only some haphazard stuff through high school and college and dabbling with stuff like p90x '11-14 so I've probably added close to 15lbs of lean mass (~140 to 155) if the metrics I have are accurate.
  • JRugg1946
    Options

That's probably about the most aggressive I would try and go. At 6'4" and your build, I'd guess 210-215 would probably look solid at <20% body fat (assuming your assessment of 180 lbs lean mass and mostly fat loss to get there). For reference, pre-2015 I hadn't really done much real lifting, only some haphazard stuff through high school and college and dabbling with stuff like p90x '11-14 so I've probably added close to 15lbs of lean mass (~140 to 155) if the metrics I have are accurate.

Im only using the BMI to estimate my lean muscle mass. I don't lift at all, I have a pretty active job, as a pipefitter/welder.. i pick heavy pipe, valves, fittings and tools up all day long. I also pull on chain falls with hundreds of pounds of weight on, and pull on the chain till the material is sometimes 20+ feet up. Of course the chain fall takes most the weight off me, so im not actually pulling the full weight, but itll still burns the shoulders, pulling on the chain. I also go up and down sometimes 4 floors of stairs a few times a day, and walk close to 8 miles a day combined.. i think my problem is that i just ate and drank to many calories.
    Itll be a trial and error, ive only been trying to lose the weight about 6 weeks now.
  • JRugg1946
    Options
    Bump
  • JRugg1946
    Options
    Bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!