Balance: Cardio AND Weight Training

Options
When I started exercising I fell in love with walking. Not only was it physical exercise but it was mental as well. Months go by and after doing some research, I decided to pick up some weights. Guess who fell in love again and decided to kick cardio to the curb?! Bad idea. Fast forward to today after weeks of battling with myself I decided to do what’s best for me mentally. I’m going to start back going for my morning stroll (light cardio) and then come home and lift. Today was day 1 and I feel GREAT!!! While this is backwards to most people who are looking to lose fat, I’ll just have to see how it works for me. Wish me luck! 🤞🏾

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    You lose fat with a deficit. The balance of the two in exercising is to help burn calories to make deficit easier, but overall it's for health aspect.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Doing both is great for your health, in different ways. I think you have a good plan.

Like niner says, fat loss is about managing the calorie intake to be a sensibly moderate amount below calorie expenditure (from a combination of daily life and exercise, plus just the calorie expenditure from being alive in the first place). Get cardio & strength exercise; if needed, lose fat at a gradual, sustainable rate: Perfect.
  • abarocio
    abarocio Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Exercise needs to be meaningful to you otherwise why bother. Stick to what you like but challenge yourself with other work out types like circuit training and HITT intervals when you are ready. Weight training is very important and should not be skipped so glad you are combining.

Best of luck
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    You don’t need to worry about walking the same day as lifting weights. Walking is a low intensity, lower impact cardio exercise. If it was a HIIT session or high intensity cardio then you would need to treat that like a weight lifting day and allow for a day’s recovery before lifting weights. For example, if you were focusing on running a race you would only lift weights 1 or 2 days a week with the the same weights but less volume of sets and frequency of sessions each week. In other words just enough lifting to maintain current strength. Instead you would use the extra time and energy to focus on your running training and recovery.
  • Indialove901
    Indialove901 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 Thank you! I do think I need to pay more attention to exactly what I’m eating and snacking on.

@abarocio I definitely have to enjoy what I’m doing so that I will continue to do it. Walking to me is undefeated. Thank you!
  • Indialove901
    Options
    @Beautyofdreams Got it! Great advice.
  • CTtugboating
    CTtugboating Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Lift for muscle, cardio for weight loss, and watch your calories when doing both. It's a tough balance for sure. I cut calories and walked 4 miles every day for 6 weeks and I lost 18 lbs, but it was a mix of muscle and fat. I also gained it all back because I lost my focus. What has been working for me is 3 days of strength training, 3 days of HIIT Cardio and a day of rest every week. On the days I lift, I go a little heavier on the calories and carbs to give me some extra strength. On the Cardio days I really try and stick to my calorie goal religiously and push for a nice sweaty, hard to breathe / speak workout.

What few people advertise / realize is that the presence of lean muscle mass automatically increases our metabolism and makes losing weight easier. Also, healthy muscle mass will not dwindle due to a calorie deficit on days you do cardio only. Your body will naturally target your fat reserves first.

Cardio every day with a calorie deficit will lead to weight loss, but it will also lead to losing muscle and fat together.

Good luck to you!!
  • Indialove901
    Options
    @CTtugboating Thanks for your response. So you never do both in the same day? What I did this week (Sunday and today) was a mile walk - moderate pave according to MFP and some upper body weight training - the heaviest dumbbells I use are 20 lb, so super light. As for my diet, I have drastically increased protein and veggies because at first I wasn’t eating enough. I still need to get a grip on my snacking because while some are healthy I do get carried away and then I don’t want to eat real meals. It’s a journey but I’m not giving up. 😊💪🏾
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,990 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Then, as you get fitter/stronger, you can think about increasing the frequency, duration, intensity or exercise type. IMO, the sweet spot is where you have just a little bit of challenge in your exercise sessions, but you don't feel dragged out or fatigued later. (There might be just a few minutes of "whew!" feeling right after the exercise, but in general, you want to feel energized for the rest of the day, not burned out.) With new strength exercise, it's normal to have quite sore muscles at first, but after a few sessions, that should not be major soreness, more like just a nice, taut, "I've worked out" feeling vs. soreness that has you groaning and limping. That latter should not generally happen, after the first few sessions with a particular exercise type.

Nicely phrased!
  • Indialove901
    Options
    @AnnPT77 Very well said! This week since I’ve added cardio back to my regimen, I feel really good. I’ll pay attention to how I feel going forward and make adjustments as needed. Thanks so much!
  • koolGsmoove
    koolGsmoove Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I do a little bit of both
  • Littlemizzmochrie
    Littlemizzmochrie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do both. I swim most days for at least an hour, often longer. I’ve started doing bodypump classes three times a week and I also try and fit in a couple
    Of aqua HIIT classes and yoga. All of these I really enjoy so that really helps with my motivation to get down to the gym and get stuff done! 🙂
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Lift for muscle, cardio for weight loss, and watch your calories when doing both. It's a tough balance for sure. I cut calories and walked 4 miles every day for 6 weeks and I lost 18 lbs, but it was a mix of muscle and fat. I also gained it all back because I lost my focus. What has been working for me is 3 days of strength training, 3 days of HIIT Cardio and a day of rest every week. On the days I lift, I go a little heavier on the calories and carbs to give me some extra strength. On the Cardio days I really try and stick to my calorie goal religiously and push for a nice sweaty, hard to breathe / speak workout.

What few people advertise / realize is that the presence of lean muscle mass automatically increases our metabolism and makes losing weight easier. Also, healthy muscle mass will not dwindle due to a calorie deficit on days you do cardio only. Your body will naturally target your fat reserves first.

Cardio every day with a calorie deficit will lead to weight loss, but it will also lead to losing muscle and fat together.

Good luck to you!!

While I don't completely disagree with what you wrote there's a few points I think could be stated differently. First, extra muscle does burn more calories but it is very minimal. Many times I hear this advice phrased like it is some kind of magic bullet that will allow you to eat so much more. In reality a few pounds of muscle gained (and fat lost at the same time - not easy) will net you an extra Oreo or 2 per day.

Also, diet is king. Cardio allows you to eat more but it is possible to gain weight and run 60 miles per week (ask me how I know :D ).

To the OP - Do both. I run and lift. I run more when I'm training and I lift more when I have no races on my calendar. At no time to I stop doing both. Good luck.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

Good luck to you!!

While I don't completely disagree with what you wrote there's a few points I think could be stated differently. First, extra muscle does burn more calories but it is very minimal. Many times I hear this advice phrased like it is some kind of magic bullet that will allow you to eat so much more. In reality a few pounds of muscle gained (and fat lost at the same time - not easy) will net you an extra Oreo or 2 per day.

Also, diet is king. Cardio allows you to eat more but it is possible to gain weight and run 60 miles per week (ask me how I know :D ).

To the OP - Do both. I run and lift. I run more when I'm training and I lift more when I have no races on my calendar. At no time to I stop doing both. Good luck.

Yes to this: The whole post.

To the bolded: IMU, a pound of muscle at rest is believed to burn about 6 calories per day, while a pound of fat - which is also metabolically active - is believed to burn about 2 calories per day at rest. So, if one loses a pound of fat, gains a pound of muscle, that's 4 extra calories per day, metabolically. EPOC (excess post-exercise oxygen consumption, a.k.a. afterburn) is not a huge thing numerically, either, despite the gee-whiz blogosphere's trumpeting the difference in percentage terms. 🙄)

It's going to take a lot of added muscle to burn even one Oreo. With 1-2 pounds of muscle gain per month a really good result under ideal conditions (but without illegal/dangerous drugs in the picture), increased BMR (metabolism) via body composition is a long term investment, far from a quick fix.

I do suspect that people with more muscle mass and less fat mass are likely to move more in daily life, simply because it's easier and more fun for them than for fat people (true for me, for sure). That burns calories, too, but that's not "improved metabolism", it's moving more - a thing fat people can work to do, too, either exercise or non-exercise. ** Further, fat people get numerically more caloric benefit from moving more, compared to thin people: Takes more calories to move a heavier body around.

Also, the cardio part is true, too. I was doing plenty of pretty intense cardio 6 days most days a week for a dozen years, training to compete at a short-endurance sport (on-water rowing), while staying at an obese bodyweight. It's super easy to eat that few hundred extra calories daily, and stay fat. It's not very many Oreos at all, typically. (NB: I don't like or eat Oreos. 😉) Someone who naturally eats close to but a little above their maintenance calories may be able to turn that around and lose weight via exercise, but for a lot of us, attention to food intake is going to be necessary (sure was for me).

** Ideas about that discussed in this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Like you OP, I don't want to sacrifice cardio - in my case running - for lifting. I run for my mental health and it's also the majority of my social life currently, but I love the strong feeling I get from lifting. Giving up my personal training when we moved away two years ago is the only thing I regret about the move; I stopped training completely and ate more, instead, putting on a good 3 stone (and I was overweight anyway) but more importantly, losing that feeling of strength.

I've been running since November, and running for an hour is within my comfort zone. I figure I'll maintain that, rather than specifically trying to improve the duration or speed/distance. I'll start lifting again soon (waiting on equipment) and ignoring a bit of soreness initially, I think I'll see my running improve as my strength improves because we have all the hills and glute strength is key.

I am unlikely to do both on the same day because I don't like committing so much time to working out. I'd rather do an hour every day than two hours in one day and nothing the next, for example. This is compounded by a healthcare package I have, where you get benefits for certain types/frequencies of activity; this steers me towards cardio and few/no rest days in a week. This is where the concept of an 'active rest day' comes in I suppose, where running to a level the body is already well accustomed to is fine. I might cope/recover better if I do cardio and weights on the same day then have a complete day off, so that could be an interesting experiment.

I'm also going to be trying to maintain a calorie deficit as I still have quite a bit to lose. I'm expecting that at some point, I'll either have more hungry days than not, or I'll have more hard workouts than not - by that I mean the ones that are a real slog/struggle. That to me is the signal that I will need to ease off on something and prioritise for whatever my goal is at the time.
  • Indialove901
    Options
    @Littlemizzmochrie Swimming is great exercise!!!
    @dewd2 I couldn’t agree more. My diet is really what I need to focus on tweaking. While I’m seeing subtle changes in my body, I know that if my diet was balanced and under control then I would see a huge difference by now.