exercise shame

Options
just getting started over here, and i am so out of shape! i am ashamed that i can't even finish a workout. I've tried doing manual labor like tilling my garden or pulling my kids around in a wagon to fill my exercise needs, but it's just not quite enough. do any of you have any ideas for beginner exercises? how do you know when to push through and when it's just to much? how long did it take you to become in shake enough to finish a routine?

Replies

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Agreeing with Yirara. It's a lot more doable to find something you sincerely find fun. For me that's dog sports, disc golf, swimming (in a lake), hiking, riding (that one's expensive as hell), and some trail running. I don't have to fight myself to do them because they're fun for me, and they do still build fitness. They also build desire to be more fit and get me past my 'Exercise is torture' high school gym trauma.

Basically I cannot think 'go exercise'. I have to treat myself like a kid and 'go outside and PLAY'.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,392 Member
    Options
    Oh I totally agree with wunderkind that there needs to be a play element. For me as well. For my running I do a kind of structured programme on my sports watch. And my long cycle rides are mostly to go out for geocaching as I don't have a car. I select a few that sound really nice, either along a route that I want to ride or I plan a route along those. For strength training: I just want to get better, even if it's just a single additional pushup.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,454 Member
    Options
    The only shame should be in not getting off the sofa.

Start slow and build up. You’ll be surprised at how fast you build stamina, but you don’t build it if you never start it.

Your kids deserve the best mom you can be, one who can play with them and enjoy time with them. Why not incorporate your kids into these changes and teach them new habits, too? Walking, going to the playground, the local water park.

We have an amazing local park with a concrete rivulet for toddlers, mushroom showers and Ferris wheel buckets that dump water and spray them. We also have some really cool nature trails, from boardwalks by the river, battlefields, even a hidden gem done by Eagle Scouts at a local church.

• vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I think if you have worked out until you are tired then you have indeed “finished a workout.” I second the Fitness Blender workouts on YouTube. Put in your filters and it will be customized to you.
  • NerdyScienceGrl
    NerdyScienceGrl Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    As someone who has been there, it’s about finding what you enjoy. I tried to start with walking since it’s “easy” and free but found that there were days it simply hurt and was frustrated that I couldn’t walk as long as I wanted. At that point, I started stretching to engage the muscles I hadn’t been using and taking 2-3 short walks a day. Adding in the stretching and moving to beginners yoga, I found in a vary short time that I was adding time to my walks. Once I was comfortable with those two things I incorporated some easy whole body resistance band workouts. I don’t enjoy nor can I make it through many of the workouts I tried online. I stick with the walking, yoga and resistance bands. I supplement it with a healthy dose of yard work, housework, play and ultimately focus on just moving.
  • Manga23
    Manga23 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    We all started once.......I started running with the 5k start to run app at my mid 30......1st excersise I thought I could never finish this journey.....began with 1 minute walk 1 minute run and so on.
    Ended with running 15 km until I step food in the gym and got hooked on weight lifting. Besides that I tried every class like spinning, yoga, boxing, TRX/suspension, bodypump you name it and I tried it. Once you know what exercise fits you you'll get the flow.
    And still I can feel a bit dumb when I wanna learn something new or don't have the power yet to finish something like I want to.......nothing to be ashamed off, at my gym people are always willing to help you out or encourage you.
    See it as a lifetime journey, you'll get better results.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,454 Member
    Options
    Manga23 wrote: »
    And still I can feel a bit dumb when I wanna learn something new or don't have the power yet to finish something like I want to.......nothing to be ashamed off, at my gym people are always willing to help you out or encourage you.
    See it as a lifetime journey, you'll get better results.

This sounds all wrong compared to how it is, but one of the things I love about my gym is everyone knows everyone else’s personal records. If they see you pulling something higher, they will stop what they’re doing out of respect and so as not to distract you visually, cheer for you and high five you when you accomplish it. They even cheer my little piddly *kitten* efforts.

I feel the same way about runners in our trail. I see new, overweight people running, and I’m looking, not thinking “lardass”, but because I want to swoop in, hug them, and tell them “Way to Go!!!!!”

Ditto yoga. I’m pulling for everyone who struggles. That was me, more recently than I care to remember (or still is, during handstand hops, lol).

So if you feel shame or like you are being judged, it’s not always the case. Someone is there silently (or not) pulling for you to accomplish something.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    just getting started over here, and i am so out of shape! i am ashamed that i can't even finish a workout. I've tried doing manual labor like tilling my garden or pulling my kids around in a wagon to fill my exercise needs, but it's just not quite enough. do any of you have any ideas for beginner exercises? how do you know when to push through and when it's just to much? how long did it take you to become in shake enough to finish a routine?

Most so-called "beginner programs" really aren't.

This was laughably difficult when I started it, I think the beginning of the year. While I'm no longer embarrassingly bad at it, it is still challenging. And I don't do it straight through - I have easy physical therapy exercises that I do in between exercises.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIdAPUA3GY4&list=PLUXvX9BaxgqG9yO5XWB3gA_QshvrrcjVr&index=4&t=4s
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    No shame. Work on changing your internal dialogue. You are worth all of the accolades that you will get here for doing ANYTHING that is a step above nothing. The fact that you are looking for ways to build activity into your day is great. You deserve absolutely NO SHAME. None. You deserve high 5s, pats on the back, cheers all around :heart:
  • Snapy15
    Snapy15 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    A little bit late to the conversation but here it goes. I agree with the general consensus of slow and consistent. I was ashamed of being so out of breath that I had to stop multiple times on my first bike ride on a 5% hill. After only a week, I was able to make that same distance with no breaks but still fairly out of breath. It's progress, the next time you do that workout you will do it longer and at one point will complete it, then redo it and it'll be easier. Everyone has a starting point that's different than others.

One beginner exercise I found is Chair Yoga, wasn't strong enough for regular beginner yoga so the Chair yoga is my stepping stone. My boyfriend laugh at me because when getting up to refill my water bottle I do lunges. It's only like 6 total each time but I'm still getting stronger slowly but surely. Find ways to sneak a couple exercise in your daily routine like :
    - You need to grab a pot from the lower cupboard do a squat instead of bending over.
    - Going upstairs and not too much in a hurry, do a couple calf raise every couple of steps.
    - Park at the end of the parking lot when grocery shopping, pushing that heavy cart further will sneak in some extra exercise. (don't do this with little kids because parking lot are dangerous)
    - Sit on an exercise ball while watching tv and work those stabilization muscles.
    - Check out Justin Agusta's workout, he has some true beginner workouts and a way to make them low impact.

There's nothing to be ashamed with your starting point, you'll notice only *kitten* and people who don't workout make comments about other people's workout.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on taking the first steps on your health and fitness journey!
    There is nothing to be embarrassed about. Needing to pause is normal and required. It is fantastic that you know you need to pause. This is a journey and takes time.
    I’ve been exercising regularly now for 4 years and I still pause my workout videos. The videos have become more challenging. This morning I did 24 push-ups on my feet. Four years ago I could do one or two.

In terms of recommendations:
    1) I like FitOn it is a free app and has a variety of trainers, styles, intensity and length
    2) I also really like Beachbody on demand. It is $120/year. I like their workout programs because they all have a calendar to follow. They have a beginner program called YouV2.
    3) just move more, walk,
    4) nutrition — start with that. Track your food. Make changes as you go.
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    HASfit on youtube has good beginner workouts (scroll down to find the beginner section). Also higher level workouts when you are ready for that.