Struggling with low carbs, high protein meals

Options
SheisFitMel
SheisFitMel Posts: 14 Member
Hi Friends, :)

I am a newbie on this journey, on it just under a week and managed to lose almost 7 lbs, but it has been a struggle - dietwise.
I am suppose to consume a low amount of carbs and until now, hadn't realized that carbs are in almose every-damn-thing and LOTS of it! :#
Can anyone share some low carb, high protein, low fat recipes ... meat and dairy free preferred, but not mandatory. It has been easier to find meat and diary replacements than Low Carb, go figure! :o

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,522 Member
    Options
    Why low carb? A calorie deficit is all that's required to lose. But if that's your CHOICE and can do it FOR LIFE, then there are low carbers in the GROUPS section that could advise you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SheisFitMel
    SheisFitMel Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My short term weight loss goal calls for low carb - high protein - low fat, as a healthy way to lose weight. I do imagine weight maintenance requires different caloric composition, but that is not where I am currently. Do you have food suggestions?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    My short term weight loss goal calls for low carb - high protein - low fat, as a healthy way to lose weight. I do imagine weight maintenance requires different caloric composition, but that is not where I am currently. Do you have food suggestions?

Low carb is just a way of limiting calories...in and of itself carbohydrates have zip to do with weight management. It's also going to be pretty difficult to go low on two of the three macro-nutrients (carbs and dietary fat) and have any kind of diversity in your diet. Most people low carb, high fat, moderate protein.

For what you're wanting to do, pretty much meat, poultry, fish, vegetables.

• crackon20
    crackon20 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight limiting refined carbs. Fruits and veggies are carbs. They are good for you. Limit bread, pasta, rice, and other grains. So...refined carbs, processed carbs are out. Sugar added to foods is out. You will be fine and lose weight.
  • Lookngd
    Lookngd Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    OK... So pretty much lots of meat and veg/ salad. Increasing fibre, so the amount of salad and /or veg, also fruit that you consume will help keep you fuller, in the absence of complex carbs, as will fats high in Omega 3 and a good serve of protein.

So... stirfrys and salads are a good option, or plain old meat and veg. You probably want to avoid a lot of starchy veg, and stick more so with the cruciferous veg and other veg/salad, the more colour and variety on your plate the better. You should be able to find a variety of tasty recipes to keep food interesting for you.

A meat free option includes eggs, egg whites and high protein yogurt. You can have a high protein yogurt with some chia and fruit as a snack in between meals or a few hours before bed. Eggs are versatile and if you use one whole egg per serve and 1, 2 to 3 egg whites then you can increase your protein profile. You can do this in an omelet, scrambled eggs, poached and fried eggs even. Serve with cooked veg like mushroom, asparagus or zucchini or spinach and tomatoes, yum. Or you can make a fritata, such as a roast pumpkin, spinach and fetta (can opt for low fat) fritata, my favourite.

Hope this helps you to achieve your goals!