Just a doubt

Options
Hey guys . Male 174 cm 90.5 kg . Lost around three kg in three weeks . Eating 1865 calories a day and burning extra 500 by walking 12000 steps a day daily . Recently someone told me that the way im losing weight is wrong and I'll mess up my metabolism alot . I understand weight lifting and high protein is best for weight loss but I prefer the way I'm doing . I lost 17 kg last year and gained it all back due to my laziness . So now my weight loss is even harder since I don't have any more water weight to lose and it's mainly going to be fat I guess . If I reach my goal weight of 63 kg ..will my metabolism be screwed complete ly and will that mean I won't be able to bulk up from 63 kg IF I reach my goal weight hopefully

Replies

• MJW12020
    MJW12020 Posts: 39 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I'm a bit confused about what your calorie target is. What is your net calorie deficit, once you add in the 500 calories burned?

Also, can you explain why your friend thinks what you're doing is wrong? Is it the size of your deficit, or something else?

One kg a week is at the high end of maximum weight loss - certainly don't aim for anything more than that.

Finally, 63 kg looks pretty low to me. I am 55 years old and 172 cm. According to various studies my ideal weight should be around 67-69 kg, but given I exercise a lot it should really be higher. My gym coach works on a target for those working out (for males at least; not sure if it applies to females) of your height in centimetres minus 100. For me, that is 72 kg, which is what I am aiming for (down from 99 kg to 75 kg now). For you that would be 74 kg.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    Options
    Did you regain the 17kg you lost because of your "laziness", or did you weight loss methods contribute to you ending up with a propensity towards operating in a way where you would reduce your caloric expenditure and increase your caloric intake... thus driving towards regain?

I would have another look at your weight loss methods and figure out how exactly (if at all) they are contributing and setting me up for long term maintenance.

Are they? Or are you doing a variety of "things" to lose weight, things you have no intention of continuing to do once you've lost the weight?
  • sultank101
    sultank101 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    MJW12020 wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused about what your calorie target is. What is your net calorie deficit, once you add in the 500 calories burned?

Also, can you explain why your friend thinks what you're doing is wrong? Is it the size of your deficit, or something else?

One kg a week is at the high end of maximum weight loss - certainly don't aim for anything more than that.

Finally, 63 kg looks pretty low to me. I am 55 years old and 172 cm. According to various studies my ideal weight should be around 67-69 kg, but given I exercise a lot it should really be higher. My gym coach works on a target for those working out (for males at least; not sure if it applies to females) of your height in centimetres minus 100. For me, that is 72 kg, which is what I am aiming for (down from 99 kg to 75 kg now). For you that would be 74 kg.

He thinks I will lose a lot of muscle . Even though I have a good amount of protein but I don't lift weights . I'm just aiming to get skinny . And I was at 74 kg but I didn't like how I looked
  • sultank101
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Did you regain the 17kg you lost because of your "laziness", or did you weight loss methods contribute to you ending up with a propensity towards operating in a way where you would reduce your caloric expenditure and increase your caloric intake... thus driving towards regain?

I would have another look at your weight loss methods and figure out how exactly (if at all) they are contributing and setting me up for long term maintenance.

Are they? Or are you doing a variety of "things" to lose weight, things you have no intention of continuing to do once you've lost the weight?

I regained it because I got really lazy. I was happy with the way I was losing weight . Enjoying the foods I loved. Once I lose the weight I will immediately get a plan to gain muscle considering I will be skinny at my goal weight
  • sultank101
    Options
    MJW12020 wrote: »

My net calorie deficit is 1000 approximately inclduing workout
  • sultank101
    Options
    You realize that to gain muscle if you're actually skinny you have to eat in a caloric surplus, right?

or you could just skip the undereating, cannibalizing muscle, lose slower, stop sooner, and switch to recomp.

So let's say I reach my goal weight with the way I lose weight rn. And I wanna build muscle so I eat in a surplus. Will I gain all the weight back
  • sultank101
    Options
    Well, people who go through repeated cycles of undereating, regaining, and undereating sometimes find that weight loss gets harder and harder. Why? You're losing unnecessarily large amounts of muscle when you're undereating.

You're putting your body through stress again and again, regaining body fat while not recovering much (if any) of the muscle you previously lost, and then wondering why you aren't seeing the progress you want.

You say you "prefer" this way, but wouldn't it really be preferable to eat reasonably, reach your goals, and then stay there?
    I'm eating 1800 calories ..how much more do I have to increase ?
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    sultank101 wrote: »
    You realize that to gain muscle if you're actually skinny you have to eat in a caloric surplus, right?

or you could just skip the undereating, cannibalizing muscle, lose slower, stop sooner, and switch to recomp.

So let's say I reach my goal weight with the way I lose weight rn. And I wanna build muscle so I eat in a surplus. Will I gain all the weight back

Yep. If you get very skinny and then put on muscle you are going to gain scale weight. Doesn't work with 'get skinny, eat enough to gain muscle, don't gain weight'.

Biology doesn't do that.
  • sultank101
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Hey guys . Male 174 cm 90.5 kg . Lost around three kg in three weeks . Eating 1865 calories a day and burning extra 500 by walking 12000 steps a day daily . Recently someone told me that the way im losing weight is wrong and I'll mess up my metabolism alot . I understand weight lifting and high protein is best for weight loss but I prefer the way I'm doing . I lost 17 kg last year and gained it all back due to my laziness . So now my weight loss is even harder since I don't have any more water weight to lose and it's mainly going to be fat I guess . If I reach my goal weight of 63 kg ..will my metabolism be screwed complete ly and will that mean I won't be able to bulk up from 63 kg IF I reach my goal weight hopefully

Part of the reason your weight loss is hard is because you are undereating, as you have been told on several other threads that you started.

You're 19 years old and netting 1,365 calories. Yes, you are losing weight the hard way. Eat more.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10835357/weight-loss-supplements
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10834583/weight-loss-is-too-slow-for-a-obese-guy-like-me/p1
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10834310/weight-loss-with-out-muscle-gain
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10834265/weight-loss-and-muscle-building
    hipari wrote: »
    3t08ugnp9jl1.jpeg

The above is a listing of discussion threads you have started in these forums. You have 4 different threads from last 7 days, all worrying about essentially the same thing.
    Am I doing anything wrong?or should I continue this

I’d say the thing you’re doing wrong is freaking out and letting your mind run in a circle about this stuff, instead of sitting down (or going for a walk, if that’s your thing), calmly and mindfully considering your priorities and goals, and then drafting a sustainable long-term plan and sticking with it for several months while fine-tuning as needed. Weight loss and fitness improvement are something that happen over the course of weeks, months and years, not days or a few weeks. Plans and expectations need to line up with a realistic timeline.

I really don’t think you will benefit from repeating the same (or similar) question on the forums until you calm down, set your priorities and goals, and align your plans with realistic expectations based on your goals. It sounds like you might even benefit from discussing these things with a trusted friend, family member or a professional (personal trainer, registered dietician, fitness/lifestyle coach or a healthcare professional are all valid options depending on your personal situation and goals).

I can't get a personal coach right now. My other question is ..how can I ensure my metabolism isn't screwed..if I just want to walk daily to burn 500 and eat 1860 calories . I don't want to body recomp since it's way harder and needs more knowledge
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    You are not eating

Part of the reason your weight loss is hard is because you are undereating, as you have been told on several other threads that you started.

You're 19 years old and netting 1,365 calories. Yes, you are losing weight the hard way. Eat more.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10835357/weight-loss-supplements
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10834583/weight-loss-is-too-slow-for-a-obese-guy-like-me/p1
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10834310/weight-loss-with-out-muscle-gain
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10834265/weight-loss-and-muscle-building
    3t08ugnp9jl1.jpeg

The above is a listing of discussion threads you have started in these forums. You have 4 different threads from last 7 days, all worrying about essentially the same thing.

I’d say the thing you’re doing wrong is freaking out and letting your mind run in a circle about this stuff, instead of sitting down (or going for a walk, if that’s your thing), calmly and mindfully considering your priorities and goals, and then drafting a sustainable long-term plan and sticking with it for several months while fine-tuning as needed. Weight loss and fitness improvement are something that happen over the course of weeks, months and years, not days or a few weeks. Plans and expectations need to line up with a realistic timeline.

I really don’t think you will benefit from repeating the same (or similar) question on the forums until you calm down, set your priorities and goals, and align your plans with realistic expectations based on your goals. It sounds like you might even benefit from discussing these things with a trusted friend, family member or a professional (personal trainer, registered dietician, fitness/lifestyle coach or a healthcare professional are all valid options depending on your personal situation and goals).

I can't get a personal coach right now. My other question is ..how can I ensure my metabolism isn't screwed..if I just want to walk daily to burn 500 and eat 1860 calories . I don't want to body recomp since it's way harder and needs more knowledge

You are not eating 1860 calories but 1360 if your exercise count is correct. Being active burns extra calories, thus eating 1860 and burning 500 calories is the same as sitting on your bum all day and eating 1360.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Well, people who go through repeated cycles of undereating, regaining, and undereating sometimes find that weight loss gets harder and harder. Why? You're losing unnecessarily large amounts of muscle when you're undereating.

You're putting your body through stress again and again, regaining body fat while not recovering much (if any) of the muscle you previously lost, and then wondering why you aren't seeing the progress you want.

You say you "prefer" this way, but wouldn't it really be preferable to eat reasonably, reach your goals, and then stay there?

I have no idea. Have you entered your goals and stats into MFP to get a reasonable calorie goal? I'd start there, monitor progress for a few weeks, and then adjust as necessary.
  • sultank101
    Options

I have no idea. Have you entered your goals and stats into MFP to get a reasonable calorie goal? I'd start there, monitor progress for a few weeks, and then adjust as necessary.

I chose lose 0.5 kg a week. So done the math and just need to burn 500 hundred daily to burn a kg a week ..
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I chose lose 0.5 kg a week. So done the math and just need to burn 500 hundred daily to burn a kg a week ..

1 kg a week is really aggressive for your weight. That's probably why you're struggling.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options

So just to be clear: If you choose to lose 0.5 kg/week, MFP builds that into the calorie goal it gives you. If it tells you to eat 1900 calories, you will maintain your weight on 2400 calories and lose 0.5 kg/week on 1900 calories without any exercise. If you then exercise to burn another 500 calories every day, you will lose 1 kg per week. MFP expects you to log your exercise and eat those 500 calories that you burned from exercise.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,996 Member
    Options

3t08ugnp9jl1.jpeg

You are 19 years old and otherwise healthy - your metabolism is not screwed

It would take a lot of walking to burn 500 a day - generally about 200 calories a hour would be the burn rate.

But you need to eat 1860 net.
    Not 1360 net - that is far too low for a teenage male of normal height