How does eating healthy look compared to just counting calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    In reality, portion control is the main factor for people staying at a more normal weight. You see it in countries where people eat carbs regularly (Asian countries for instance). Go to a penitentiary and the inmates don't have an obesity problem there because they too are on a portion controlled eating regimen and in many cases more fit than the average American even with all the LOW QUALITY food. You'd think that if this food was so unhealthy, that they'd have shorter lifespans in prison...................but don't due to food intake.
    Get in your RDA of macro/micronutrients however you see fit, and if there's leftover calories eat what you want. You don't get extra credit for eating "healthier" once you get RDA in.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yes, without trying AT ALL my ex lost 30-40 pounds during the 3 years he lived in Thailand, no doubt due to smaller portions. Or maybe rice has magical weight loss properties!

When I'm using recipes from my Thai cookbook I often double most things. When it says 4 servings, it is not referring to American servings.
  • CierraEstelle
    CierraEstelle Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Not sure if OP is male or female... but I wanted to add, there is some evidence to suggest that fasting can negatively impact women's hormones and throw them out of balance. If you're female, somehing to Google and consider.

Healthy eating to me, is eating a diet high in whole grains and vegetables. Along with that, I like to eat healthy fats, lean proteins like beans, soy, seitan (I'm vegetarian). I base things on how the diet makes me feel overall (digestion/bloating, energy and vitality, skin condition, sleep quality, etc)
  • neffyworld
    neffyworld Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    @CierraEstelle I'm a lady
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    My version of healthy eating, and how I reduced my blood sugar number, was to reduce my carb intake to under 130g a day. I've mostly done it by making substitutions - cauliflower rice instead of rice (or half and half), fewer potatoes but more veg, courgetti instead of pasta (or half and half). If I do a stirfry, I pile loads of veg into the wok and don't bother with rice or noodles at all. In all cases, the volume of veg makes me feel that I've had a bigger meal but the carb intake (and calorie count) is lower than would have been on my plate a few years ago.

My current favourite is sauted cabbage - ~200g finely sliced white cabbage, 7-10g lighter butter and 7.5-10ml olive oil, sauted for about 20 mins. I sometimes add a 5ml splash of apple cyder vinegar. Aside from finding it very tasty, it's only 9g of carbs and also gives me 9g of fibre, so I use that instead of rice or potatoes with multiple dishes.

If you don't fancy counting calories, the only suggestion I can offer is to look at your typical meals and look at how many calories /carbs they contain - and either predominantly eat the lower cal / carb meals or come up with lower cal / carb alternatives and substitute them as much as possible. I used to add all sorts of fruit to my morning yoghurt and use different veg in cooking. I then made a list and looked up the nutritional info, per 100g, for all the things I ate regularly. After discovering that raspberries are lower carb than blueberries, I now only buy raspberries to add to my yoghurt. I now buy green beans and cauliflower more than I buy broccoli and carrots; I rarely eat peas or petit pois at home now. I like all of them but I may as well focus on eating the options that are lower carb. I rarely eat bread anyway, but I did a similar exercise to compare all the different bread options available to me at my local supermarket and now only have the lowest-carb option in my freezer.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    When I decided to get serious again about losing weight, I viewed weight loss as part of an overarching goal to get healthier overall by choosing more good-for-you foods, foods that make me feel better overall ,while still having treats. That also means I now view exercise I actually like and makes me feel better afterwards and not just to burn calories/see how many calories I can burn. To get more serious about actually losing weight and admittedly, get to my "vanity" weight, that meant I had to be more mindful of actually how much I was eating by tracking. This also helps me see how much protein and fiber I"m getting and *kind of* keep an eye on added sugars.

I don't view healthy eating as cutting out or demonizing foods, let alone entire food groups. That's not sustainable for me, and therefore by my definition, not healthy if not sustainable. I pay attention to how certain foods make me feel and how eating too much makes me feel. I'm paying even closer attention to this, and realize most of the time I'd rather forgo something if I know I'm going to feel yucky afterwards. By 'yucky" I don't mean feel guilty, but physically not great.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Pick appropriate calorie and macros targets. Eat to them // MFP logging helps in this regard. Eat a good variety of nutrient-dense, healthful, fresh stuff. I highly recommend you do much of your own cooking, rather than eating out or taking in, except for occasions. I also bake - easy "no knead" methods - most of the family bread products, including rolls for summer grill sandwiches (much healthier than commercial bread). Get lots of colors on your plate (veggies, fruit). Don't go wild or constant with known "bad" stuff - deep fryer, highly-processed, highly-salted, high-sugar, etc. stuff - and don't fret too much if you indulge once in a while, we're all human. Don't drive yourself crazy or do big fad stuff. It takes time. As one doc told me, " ... it took all your life to get where you are, it's going to take a while to get someplace else."