Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

When I can't help........

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
I've dealt with this before on a couple of occasions in other gyms I've worked at, but we recently added a new member to our gym who was seeking help apparently. Anyway long story short, since she's joined, there's nothing I can do to help her. Let me explain:

This new member has an eating disorder. She's approximately 5'1" and 69lbs. When she joined she was paired up with one of our new trainers. The trainer did the RIGHT thing and told her that she couldn't use her training sessions until she saw at least a 5lbs weight gain on her next visit. Well the girl refused to weigh in the next visit and said she would nix the training sessions until she was ready on her own. But since that time, she's been coming in 2 times a day and working out for about an hour each time. No cardio, but lots of lifting with high reps.

There's nothing I or staff can do to stop her. The line is so fine here. Making suggestions are okay, but I haven't yet found a person with this disorder who complies. And until she actually injures herself or faints, etc., we can't stop her from coming in and working out on her own. Especially since what's she's doing is in good form and she doesn't look like she's exhausting herself.

But we know fully that this is how she's compensating for anything she's eating. I'm guessing she's not consuming more than 500 calories a day max.

I know there will be feedback on this, so maybe someone can give some input and possibly give me insight on what we may be able to do to help her curtail her behavior.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    It sounds like from her response to needing to show proof of gaining weight she knows what's up, and knows the state she's in probably.

Which means it's down to her being at a point where she sees the need for a change.
    She may not have a circle of friends or family that are willing to tell her, or she does and they have and realize it does no good.

Would a member of the staff possibly have dealt with that in their own past, or helping a family member?
    I'm guessing not since you all talked (unless someone didn't want to mention it).

Whether a compassionate ear or someone that dealt with it - was thinking of the approach of a kindly private conversation about wanting her to benefit most from the gym to reach her goals, and overall benefits of healthy body, cardiovascular system, and even mind due to exercise.
    But to be able to actually have those good benefits, the body can't be abused (or whatever word is best) or it'll just break down, and injury will ultimately give it the rest it wants.

Other help that came to mind is the physical setup around her for when she takes that nose dive doing something that finally makes her pass out, and what her face is going to impact.
    Talk about another hit to body image when that eventually happens.
  • JessD9031
    JessD9031 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    So, basically, you think she needs to eat a sammich. There is a whole other thread going on about this right now.

From what I read in the other thread "Body Shaming", you should be ashamed that you feel this way, you should accept the fact that she likes her body the way it is, and should train her the way she wants to be trained. The way I see it, refusing to train her is body shaming her because she is, in YOUR opinion, underweight. It is not your place to say or think negative thoughts about anyone because of their body.

(trying real hard here, but I can't seem to find the sarcasm font.)

• JessD9031
    JessD9031 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    JessD9031 wrote: »
    So, basically, you think she needs to eat a sammich. There is a whole other thread going on about this right now.

From what I read in the other thread "Body Shaming", you should be ashamed that you feel this way, you should accept the fact that she likes her body the way it is, and should train her the way she wants to be trained. The way I see it, refusing to train her is body shaming her because she is, in YOUR opinion, underweight. It is not your place to say or think negative thoughts about anyone because of their body.

A 5'1" adult human who weighs 69 lbs IS clinically underweight, his opinion doesn't enter into it.

Oh, I agree. Some on here would not.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    The comparison between not telling people to eat a sandwich or commenting on how their body looks in another thread vs : 'clinically underweight, presents health, safety, and legal risks to an organization' is kind of wild.

Also complete and total bs.

If someone in the gym tells her she's too ugly to be there or calls her a stick insect, we'll talk about similarities. As it stands it's not there because this woman is in danger and tried to hire a trainer to help her self-harm then dodged around the attempt for safety/mitigation by said professional.

You want to go back and find an analogy for debate, should dining establishments be allowed to deny service to super morbidly obese patients who try to order cheesecakes might be closer to what this is.

But there's nothing here on par with 'don't comment on other people's aesthetic appearances'. "You're going to die and I don't want to help you or be liable for it" is... not that.

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Gyms have a right to ban anyone. In college my sister was banned from our hot yoga studio because she was underweight. (She was only 20lb underweight, so less than this woman) I thought it was VERY wrong for them to do since they had no clue about her history/health/etc. She did not look emaciated.

But this woman with a BMI of 13 must look scary thin and I do think it would be right. If I was a gym owner, I would have to talk with her and ask her to provide a doctors note for clearance just to save my own butt in case something happens.

Also 69lb is very specific number, how did you come up with that instead of saying like 70lb? Did she say her weight or use the scales there? I find it interesting how you guessed 69 right off the bat like that and just wondering where you got the number from.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Gyms have a right to ban anyone. In college my sister was banned from our hot yoga studio because she was underweight. (She was only 20lb underweight, so less than this woman) I thought it was VERY wrong for them to do since they had no clue about her history/health/etc. She did not look emaciated.

But this woman with a BMI of 13 must look scary thin and I do think it would be right. If I was a gym owner, I would have to talk with her and ask her to provide a doctors note for clearance just to save my own butt in case something happens.

Also 69lb is very specific number, how did you come up with that instead of saying like 70lb? Did she say her weight or use the scales there? I find it interesting how you guessed 69 right off the bat like that and just wondering where you got the number from.
    No she let us weigh her initially. She just refused to check in again after being asked to gain 5lbs.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Ohhh okay sorry I missed that, I thought you were just guessing. Did you talk with the owners about it?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

No she let us weigh her initially. She just refused to check in again after being asked to gain 5lbs.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Ohhh okay sorry I missed that, I thought you were just guessing. Did you talk with the owners about it?
    Regional manager wants to talk to me more about it, but hasn't talked to me yet cause of the holiday.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• MerryFit519
    MerryFit519 Posts: 43 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    is it possible to agree to training, IF the training incorporated, say, a healthy protein shake during the workout? Part of training (as I recall from years ago when I worked with a trainer) ..is covering a whole-body wellness, including how to eat to best fuel muscles, fat loss, etc.

Not suggesting trying to force-feed or anything. But, if it were presented as, "working out requires fuel and if you would like to tone/build muscles, we can do that with this whey protein shake..(or whatever) during your training sessions so you'll see some results"

I don't know..but seems if her thoughts of food have turned into fear (leading her to under eat severely) .. introducing the notion that it is a "tool" for success might help?

editing to add: if this were possible, I'd not discuss it with her in terms of calories, or any other fearful words. I'd present the science, in terms like amino acids etc.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options

I don't think many got your sarcasm. :/
    Even *I* got it and things fly over my head at the speed of light.

@ninerbuff, you've gotten great advice as far as legal advice, counselor, etc. I'm sure her family is beside themselves with worry over her health. :( Any way you could get connected with them or does that violate privacy laws? Can you talk with the girl, offer her help or get her connected with the right resources? I almost think I'd try to anonymously contact the health department or someone and give them a 'what if' scenario to see what they could suggest. It sounds like she needs professional help and soon. :( The trouble with banning her or refusing training, it won't give her the help she obviously needs. As you've seen, she'll find ways to do what she feels she needs to anyways.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

I don't think many got your sarcasm. :/
    Even *I* got it and things fly over my head at the speed of light.

Ohhhhh I got it, too. :)

But I'm totally with @Noreenmarie1234 on that doctor's note if she can't be banned. People are sue happy and don't think anything of doing something stupid and then trying to get a payday out of it.

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,293 Member
    Options
    is it possible to agree to training, IF the training incorporated, say, a healthy protein shake during the workout? Part of training (as I recall from years ago when I worked with a trainer) ..is covering a whole-body wellness, including how to eat to best fuel muscles, fat loss, etc.

Not suggesting trying to force-feed or anything. But, if it were presented as, "working out requires fuel and if you would like to tone/build muscles, we can do that with this whey protein shake..(or whatever) during your training sessions so you'll see some results"

I don't know..but seems if her thoughts of food have turned into fear (leading her to under eat severely) .. introducing the notion that it is a "tool" for success might help?

editing to add: if this were possible, I'd not discuss it with her in terms of calories, or any other fearful words. I'd present the science, in terms like amino acids etc.

If the gym were able to do this, they would have to watch for the underweight person to be sure they didn’t immediately go throw up the protein shake.

In fact, it might be too much all at once and the person might throw it up spontaneously anyhow.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    There was a lady who posted on the 'heavy lifting made me bulky' thread, who had an eating disorder and said lifting saved her life. She hasn't been on the forums since 2019 unfortunately and didn't go into detail so I'm not sure how helpful that will be.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/43682850#Comment_43682850

If a doctor signed this member off as fit to train, maybe training her to lift heavy could lead to her realising she needs to give her body more fuel to get results? I am making an assumption, but if she's lifting rather than cardio, I figure she's wanting to "tone up" rather than lose more weight. There is another assumption, that if a trainer said 'do XYZ' and she felt like it wasn't enough, that she wouldn't simply spend another hour in the gym afterwards.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

We obviously don't think like a person with an eating disorder does. Realistically, if one is trying to put on weight, they HAVE to eat more than they burn. And a person who has an eating disorder is the opposite of that thinking. Body dysmorphia is another issue. I have no idea how long this has been a habitual behavior for her or even if any other drugs (laxatives, crank, etc.) are involved which would exacerbate the issue.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png