Weight Lifting Schedule

Options
Doug_T
Doug_T Posts: 148 Member
Basic question here but what is the best schedule to follow in regards to rest days. Should I just hit the gym every day, every other day, 5 days a week etc?

Replies

• IllustriousBee
    IllustriousBee Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I asked a similar question on here, and basically it depends on what you're doing. I don't take rest days, but I also only do 30 minutes of strength training along with 30 minutes of cardio a day and I space out muscle groups. Currently I do lower body on Monday, core/abs on Tuesday, upper body on Wednesday, core/abs on Thursday, lower body on Friday, upper body on Saturday, and core/abs on Sunday. If you're doing long periods of strength training or doing multiple muscle groups per workout, you should have rest days, but if you're doing something similar to me, rest days aren't really necessary unless/until your body tells you that you need one.
  • ForeverFitNHealthy
    ForeverFitNHealthy Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Unless I have to, I don't take rest days I train both with Kettlebells and bodybuilding style. I just alternate muscles worked, and I lift 60 to 90 minutes. I'll do heavy and lighter days. I just love to lift. My cardio is easy walking/jogging and kickboxing. I've been doing a push, pull, legs and bicep 3 day split. But yeah, if you need rest, rest.
  • DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Start here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

You'll find a structured lifting program will yield better results than making it up as you go along. Rest and recovery days are important especially when beginning. You can mix up strength and cardio - but it really depends on what your goals are.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    The "best" schedule or routine is one that fits your schedule/lifestyle, you enjoy, and you'll execute consistently. You can craft or find the most optimal, most bespoke training plan but if you don't enjoy it and/or struggle to make it fit your schedule you'll likely not get what you want out of it.

I also endorse using an established program, ideally one that has progression and periodization already baked into it. The wiki on the r/fitness subreddit also has a pretty good list of links to free, recommended training plans.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    ...depends. There have been times I could only lift 3 days a week...and there have been times I lifted 5 days a week. Your lifting schedule depends on your programming, recovery, work schedule, personal schedule, etc.

For me...I have found the easiest programs to follow are structured something like: 1 day for squats (legs), 1 day for deadlifts (legs/back) 1 day for overhead press (shoulders), 1 day for bench (chest).

ETA: I don't think I've ever been to the gym 7 days a week...unless one of those days was dedicated to foam rolling and stretching. I've always taken 1 day off from lifting/cardio.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals and how intense your workouts are and how you feel.
    I follow preset workout calendars that almost always have one rest day. Sometimes I need that total day off. Sometimes I do something less intense like yoga or light cardio. Sometimes I continue with the calendar and just go to the next workout day.

Your body does need time to recover. It is common practice to alternate your focus area every other day.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I agree with age_is_just_a_number it depends on the workouts and how your body responds. Good luck
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Schedule fits you and your goals.

I train 7 days a week. Just one body part a day. And some cardio.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "Basic question here but what is the best schedule to follow in regards to rest days?"
    Rest days are just one way to manage your recovery.
    e.g. today my legs are recovering from an unusually hard cycle ride yesterday but I'll be at the gym later for an upper body and core workout.
    I only take rest days where my total training stress is causing, or might soon be causing, general fatigue, poorer recovery, drop off in performance. But in the same stuation I might simply just reduce training intensity (after a very intense month in June my July training schedule will be easier overall).

"Should I just hit the gym every day, every other day, 5 days a week etc?"
    Dunno - you haven't volunteered anything about your training, capabilities, goals....
    Think you would get a lot more out of this thread if you outlined your training status, goals, preferences, current training style....
    There's loads of different ways to split your training load.