Building a Booty?

Options
Hi All:

Everyone knows butts are in. I don't have one, a total hank hill booty and an apple shape. I want to build up my booty as I lose weight. Is it possible? Do I have to squat every minute of every day? What's the deal here?

Tips please!

Replies

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I hate to be this person but you can build the muscle with a lot of work, but you're probably not going to fundamentally change your shape. Meaning unless you do a serious hypertrophy program (as in with lots of weight and progressive overload and a low BF%) and focus entirely on your glutes, results are going to be modest.

Shape is shape, sadly.
  • Luluetduet8
    Luluetduet8 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    On the changing body shape front…just wait … booties will be out one day and a new trend will start so don’t worry about what you have and don’t have.

That said building glute strength has tons of benefits for your health! @Speakeasy76 is right about Bret C. You can get his booth Strong Curves which outlines a twelve week plan.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    On the changing body shape front…just wait … booties will be out one day and a new trend will start so don’t worry about what you have and don’t have.

That said building glute strength has tons of benefits for your health! @Speakeasy76 is right about Bret C. You can get his booth Strong Curves which outlines a twelve week plan.

This is definitely true. I've always had a bit of a big bootie, but big doesn't necessarily mean strong. I've had low back problems for years, and weak glutes was at least part of the blame. Since I've been focusing on strengthening them from all angles ( as well as being aware of my posture), my back is so much better.
  • stealthette
    stealthette Posts: 35 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I saw very quick results from doing deadlift daily. I have 4kg weights that I put in my bedroom so I could see them every time I went to the bathroom. Since I'm already on my feet, I found it easy to do 2 sets of 8 every... well something like nearly every time I went past I'd do them.

Deadlifts are a compound exercise. Meaning you do many muscles at once. The backs of the thighs and muscles up the middle of the back.

I noticed how much easier my bike was to ride before I noticed my butt had lifted up. It doesn't just bulk you out, I guess because it works the top of your butt, it lifts it up. I wish I took before and afters now because it reduced the crease beneath my cheeks.

The only thing I got from squats was sore knees.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I hate to be this person but you can build the muscle with a lot of work, but you're probably not going to fundamentally change your shape. Meaning unless you do a serious hypertrophy program (as in with lots of weight and progressive overload and a low BF%) and focus entirely on your glutes, results are going to be modest.

Shape is shape, sadly.
    QFT. As a trainer in the industry, I've seen so many females doing glute after glute exercise trying to be JLo, Kim K. etc. to NO AVAIL because they aren't even shaped like them in any way. Can you improve your butt? Sure, but improvement will dependent on training, how you eat to support growth, and age.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I saw very quick results from doing deadlift daily. I have 4kg weights that I put in my bedroom so I could see them every time I went to the bathroom. Since I'm already on my feet, I found it easy to do 2 sets of 8 every... well something like nearly every time I went past I'd do them.

Deadlifts are a compound exercise. Meaning you do many muscles at once. The backs of the thighs and muscles up the middle of the back.

I noticed how much easier my bike was to ride before I noticed my butt had lifted up. It doesn't just bulk you out, I guess because it works the top of your butt, it lifts it up. I wish I took before and afters now because it reduced the crease beneath my cheeks.

The only thing I got from squats was sore knees.
    To EFFECTIVELY affect glute muscles for hypertrophy, you'd need resistance enough to stimulate growth. 4kg weights aren't going to do that unless you're really really light in weight.

If you got sore knees from squats, it's likely because your form wasn't correct.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Agree with all the above.
    Some of my favourite glute focused exercises are:
    Glute medius:
    Side leg lifts
    Side leg circles — add ankle weights

Hamstrings:
    really focus on that spot where the top of your hamstring meets with the bottom of your butt. Muscle-mind connection is important. Really concentrate on engaging that spot. It strengthens your hamstring. The hamstrings are the butt elevators.
    Romanian deadlift
    Straight leg deadlift
    - different weights and tempo

Glute max:
    Squats — all different kinds of squats - sumo, narrow, split, plyometric

Glute min:
    Standing leg raises - all different directions, with a loop at your thighs or under one foot and around the other foot

Inner thigh:
    Side lying upper leg bent lower leg lifting.

You might want to try Pilates. I like Casey Ho on FitOn. FitOn is a free app. Her Pilates workouts are no or low weight with high reps. They are effective.