Difficulties we face to lose weight in 30s & 40s

13»

Replies

• MsBaz2018
    MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member
    Thank you very much for your response. I am really feeling hopeful now. And congratulation for reducing 15 kg in 15 week effortlessly. :smile:

I had to laugh at the "effortlessly" part of your answer. The poster did mention reducing calories to 1500 and exercising (albeit gently) up to 2hrs a day. :smiley:
  • DrSelfish1131
    DrSelfish1131 Posts: 35 Member
    I
    You indicate you only started two weeks ago. That’s not enough time at all to analyze if what you are doing is effective. You need at least 4-6 weeks to get past “beginner” water and weight fluctuations, learning how to log, etc. These forums will be your best friend to further your “self” education. And I do mean SELF education.

I wish you both success, but you also need to discuss ahead of time what happens if one gives up, and r one is super successful. Are you going to continue to support one another? Or will you give up as a couple! Hopefully, you’ll be successful together and we will get one hell of a “Success Story” over on the other board in a few months.

Many thanks for your response☺️. Me and my wife have started to lose weight steadily💪.
    I am losing weight a bit faster than her though😏 (don't know why as she is working harder and eating lesser than me 🤔).
    I am encouraging her not to lose focus. I know, if we give up as a couple, there will be no "success story"👫. How can I alone be successful without her?👩‍❤️‍👨
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Lol, I wish I was in my 30's and 40's. Late 50's and have to work much much harder than I did at those ages. And I'm in pretty good shape.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    I
    You indicate you only started two weeks ago. That’s not enough time at all to analyze if what you are doing is effective. You need at least 4-6 weeks to get past “beginner” water and weight fluctuations, learning how to log, etc. These forums will be your best friend to further your “self” education. And I do mean SELF education.

I wish you both success, but you also need to discuss ahead of time what happens if one gives up, and r one is super successful. Are you going to continue to support one another? Or will you give up as a couple! Hopefully, you’ll be successful together and we will get one hell of a “Success Story” over on the other board in a few months.

Many thanks for your response☺️. Me and my wife have started to lose weight steadily💪.
    I am losing weight a bit faster than her though😏 (don't know why as she is working harder and eating lesser than me 🤔).
    I am encouraging her not to lose focus. I know, if we give up as a couple, there will be no "success story"👫. How can I alone be successful without her?👩‍❤️‍👨

When my husband discovered he was diabetic twenty years ago, he changed his way of eating and lost a lot of weight. With, I’m ashamed to say now, very little support from me, other than I did go to the diabetic “training” class, and try to learn. But I ate candy, cookies, everything he wanted in front of him. I realize now how selfish it was.

But now it’s the exact opposite. He’s put on weight, on several prescriptions, etc. although he does have the grace to hide his treats and snacks.

So we’ve both been able to do it individually.

I wish we’d coordinated at some time, However, he does exercise regularly, and puts up with the minutiae of my weighing and logging. I don’t stay on him about losing weight because frankly, I don’t feel like I have the right to, and he’s several years older than me and it doesn’t seem fair to try to change him at this stage.

I guess it comes down to how bad you want to do it. And your level of comfort with your spouse, too I suppose. I don’t think either of us ever thought the other was “shoppin’ round”.

Maybe explain to her how much you love her, and want to share those golden years healthier and for a longer time with her.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    I

The basic equation of calories in < calories out for weight loss applies to women as well as men, but the calories out portion can be a little trickier for women especially at childbearing age (30s being a prime time for that.) For my weight loss, I have had to contend with: postpartum recovery, breastfeeding, and return of cycles, all within the past year. I am adamant about not hating the body I've been given, but the reality is that while our bodies, both male and female, are always cycling in some fashion (cells growing and dying, digestive system functioning, and so on and so forth), female bodies are less static on the calories out portion and it can require some extra tinkering to figure out a good formula. We also (generally speaking) have lower calorie needs than men of a similar size, have more body fat than men of a similar size, and don't build muscle as rapidly.

It's not better or worse, but it is different.
  • DrSelfish1131
    I

When my husband discovered he was diabetic twenty years ago, he changed his way of eating and lost a lot of weight. With, I’m ashamed to say now, very little support from me, other than I did go to the diabetic “training” class, and try to learn. But I ate candy, cookies, everything he wanted in front of him. I realize now how selfish it was.

But now it’s the exact opposite. He’s put on weight, on several prescriptions, etc. although he does have the grace to hide his treats and snacks.

So we’ve both been able to do it individually.

I wish we’d coordinated at some time, However, he does exercise regularly, and puts up with the minutiae of my weighing and logging. I don’t stay on him about losing weight because frankly, I don’t feel like I have the right to, and he’s several years older than me and it doesn’t seem fair to try to change him at this stage.

I guess it comes down to how bad you want to do it. And your level of comfort with your spouse, too I suppose. I don’t think either of us ever thought the other was “shoppin’ round”.

Maybe explain to her how much you love her, and want to share those golden years healthier and for a longer time with her.

It's very nice of you to be self-critical as it's a rare trait at present.

To be honest, sometime if either of us does some extra cardio exercise, the other becomes upset unintentionally. 😅maybe it is in our genes to be competitive🏆 (in a healthy way😌 I guess in this case)
  • DrSelfish1131
    edited July 2021
    I

The basic equation of calories in < calories out for weight loss applies to women as well as men, but the calories out portion can be a little trickier for women especially at childbearing age (30s being a prime time for that.) For my weight loss, I have had to contend with: postpartum recovery, breastfeeding, and return of cycles, all within the past year. I am adamant about not hating the body I've been given, but the reality is that while our bodies, both male and female, are always cycling in some fashion (cells growing and dying, digestive system functioning, and so on and so forth), female bodies are less static on the calories out portion and it can require some extra tinkering to figure out a good formula. We also (generally speaking) have lower calorie needs than men of a similar size, have more body fat than men of a similar size, and don't build muscle as rapidly.

It's not better or worse, but it is different.

I do agree.
    Women burn less calories and also require less calories than men.

But some studies show -
    "women burn fat more preferentially during exercise compared with men".
    (Wu, Betty N, and Anthony J O'Sullivan. “Sex differences in energy metabolism need to be considered with lifestyle modifications in humans.” Journal of nutrition and metabolism vol. 2011 (2011): 391809. doi:10.1155/2011/391809)

So should they get in shape quicker than men?
  • wooshthereitis
    wooshthereitis Posts: 2 Member
    40s here (and closer to 50 than 40 :D). I've dropped over 10 BMI points (and counting). Down to 164 lbs and still losing a lb or more a week while averaging 2,300 calories a day. Age is not a hindrance. I also keep reading that height is supposedly a hindrance too, but I'm 5'2" and being a shortie hasn't hurt my progress or forced me to do a low calorie diet. Best advice I have is to lift weights and build up that muscle mass. It's been a total game changer for me.
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    Does it make sense that as we age, our bodies become more efficient at moving the same mass around causing us to need less fuel for the same activities? I don't think so. If anything we would need more energy to do the same activities since they are harder over time. Is it the muscle loss(sarcopenia) and moving less because we have more aches/pains, and less energy? That seems much more likely to me. I think age is an excuse. I'll be 40 soon and my avatar is a recent pic. Seems to be just as easy to be in shape as ever and I've been bodybuilding for 20 years.