Tummy Overhand

Did anyone sucessfully decrease/lose their tummy overhand? I've been told by a trainer that once it stretches out from pregnancy there is no bringint it back without a tummy tuck. Can anyone prove this wrong? Thanks

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    oneirosou wrote: »
    Did anyone sucessfully decrease/lose their tummy overhand? I've been told by a trainer that once it stretches out from pregnancy there is no bringint it back without a tummy tuck. Can anyone prove this wrong? Thanks

The link above is a good one.

Just from personal experience: things may never look *exactly* as they did before pregnancy, but your skin does shrink over time. You need to be patient and give yourself that time, though.
  • lmf1012
    lmf1012 Posts: 402 Member
    I am still a work in progress.. 26.6 lost and 15-20 to go. I have already seen great progress with this just with losing weight, which I have only been doing since March 30th. I expect with more weight loss and with time, I will be pretty happy with the result.

For the record, I am 48 years old (5'4") and have had 3 kids. The last two were by C-section. I had pretty significant overhang when I started on March 30th at 166lbs.
  • Lhenderson923
    Lhenderson923 Posts: 102 Member
    I hadn’t thought about my overhang for a while until I read this post. I had to go check it out in the mirror! I’m happy to report that it is SIGNIFICANTLY smaller! I was the top end of healthy weight until college, then gained a lot of weight. I was obese for about 5 years then lost about 65lbs. I was still overweight there but happy, and maintained it for two years. Then I had my son! I gained 55lbs while pregnant and my son was very large so there was a lot of stomach stretching. Since he was born I’ve lost 80lbs and I am within the healthy weight for my height. If I lost another 10lbs which would put me in the middle of the healthy range, I’m certain the hang would be gone. I’m very happy to report that yes it is possible, at least in my experience!
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Everyone's body is different, so it's impossible to tell how yours will respond. I will tell you that I am currently at a weight I haven't been since high school (I'm 44) and in the best shape I've ever been, at a BMI of 20.4....and I still have a bit of overhang. I've had 2 c-sections, which I think makes a difference in how the stomach recovers. It's smaller than it ever has been post-pregnancy, but I know that little pooch most likely won't go away with some kind of surgical intervention. Really, though, it doesn't really bother me, as I generally don't get too hung up on self-perceived body "flaws," anyway.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    after my second child, my tummy never lost a little overhang or the stretch marks even though i was under 25, healthy, hydrated and maintained a healthy weight. after a couple years, the overhang did get smaller and the stretch marks faded in color, so my tummy looked better - not like it looked before, but definitely less overhang.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,423 Member
    Mine disappeared but it took a year, year and a half after I reached a weight I liked, which is low’ish end of normal BMI. I also work my butt (and overhang, or “apron”, as some fetchingly call it) off, which probably contributes to minimizing it.

There’s still a ring of Floam, but it continues getting smaller.

Yours will shrink, with continued good nutrition, exercise, strength and core training, and a healthy dose of patience.
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    edited July 2021
    Everyones body is different I had 1 child never loss the over hang because I never loss all the weight, but even at my smallest I still had very small over hang.

My daughter has 3 children 1, 5 and 8 she has no over hang, she's always been a lean person though with the exception of pregnancy weight.

The trainer can't speak for everyone body type I know plenty of women who didnt need tummy tucks after pregnancy who have no over hang at all.

Keep working on it, exercise and nutritional intake, water.