Where do I start?

Options
Hey
I’m 18F, 5’0 tall and I weigh 37kg.

Is this bad? I eat 3 meals per day, plenty of fruit and veg etc. I do eat chocolate, sweets etc but in like a moderate amount? Like a bar of chocolate per day, or a slice of cake etc. Currently I’m a waitress at a very busy restaurant with a big staircase so I’m kept extremely active at work, and when I’m not working I do a lot of walking when out with friends, taking my dog out etc.

I know I’m technically underweight but is it that bad? I should be starting university in September but I feel like I’m not physically ready.

Replies

• carennashva
    carennashva Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It looks like you maybe a little underweight for your height. They say 43-53kg is an average weight for your height. Do you work out? Try adding a few carbs and nuts/seeds and dried fruit to your diet.
  • dumplingdawg
    dumplingdawg Posts: 4 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    @carennashva
    I don’t work out, but my job is fairly physical as I do a lot of steps (up and down a large staircase too) carrying heavy plates and boards etc.

Thanks for the advice :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    @carennashva
    I don’t work out, but my job is fairly physical as I do a lot of steps (up and down a large staircase too) carrying heavy plates and boards etc.

If you like nuts, nut butters, seeds, full fat dairy foods, avocados, fattier cold-water fish, those are pretty healthy foods that are more calorie-dense and typically less filling (if that's an issue), if you want to try to add a bit of body weight. Fats are more calorie dense than carbs (9 calories per gram for fats, 4 for carbs and protein). Many people find protein filling, some find fats filling, but that latter seems less common.

Nothing wrong with treats, though, once the nutritional boxes are checked.

Have you talked with your doctor about your weight? Build really does make a difference. At BMI 15.8, it's quite probable that you're thinner than would be ideal for best health odds, but your doctor can assess your weight in context of your build & health history.

• dumplingdawg
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    @carennashva

If you like nuts, nut butters, seeds, full fat dairy foods, avocados, fattier cold-water fish, those are pretty healthy foods that are more calorie-dense and typically less filling (if that's an issue), if you want to try to add a bit of body weight. Fats are more calorie dense than carbs (9 calories per gram for fats, 4 for carbs and protein). Many people find protein filling, some find fats filling, but that latter seems less common.

Nothing wrong with treats, though, once the nutritional boxes are checked.

Have you talked with your doctor about your weight? Build really does make a difference. At BMI 15.8, it's quite probable that you're thinner than would be ideal for best health odds, but your doctor can assess your weight in context of your build & health history.

Yeah, I do feel full quite easily as I struggle a lot with appetite. It’s better now as I gradually increased my portions but my weight hasn’t seemed to increase in congruence. Thank you for the advice! I’ll try and add more dense foods in where possible- although I still live with family (should be moving out for uni in September though) so I typically just eat what they eat for my main meal.
  • mikethewriter
    mikethewriter Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Being underweight, you are prone to malnutrition, decreased immune function, fertility issues caused by irregular menstrual cycles and growth & development issues.

So, to prevent yourself from these complications, try eating smaller, more frequent meals. Add more snacks into your routine as well. Stick with foods that are rich in nutrients, like whole grains, fruits, vegetables, dairy products, nuts and seeds, and lean proteins.
    Start exercising. You can gain weight by adding muscle to your body. Working out may also help to stimulate your appetite.
  • dumplingdawg
    Options
    Being underweight, you are prone to malnutrition, decreased immune function, fertility issues caused by irregular menstrual cycles and growth & development issues.

So, to prevent yourself from these complications, try eating smaller, more frequent meals. Add more snacks into your routine as well. Stick with foods that are rich in nutrients, like whole grains, fruits, vegetables, dairy products, nuts and seeds, and lean proteins.
    Start exercising. You can gain weight by adding muscle to your body. Working out may also help to stimulate your appetite.

Thanks for the advice! Will try to eat more frequently but it’s difficult when working shifts and being constantly busy… Something I could definitely implement at home when not working however
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Start by drinking lots of water and fasting without food for 3 days to fully flush your body out from everything..
    Then when the 3 days are up start a weetbix diet for 3 month's breakfast lunch and dinner..

No. Don’t do this.
    Why would someone severely underweight want to do a 3 day fast?!
    This advice could be seriously dangerous.