feeling down because the scale isnt going down very much at all

Options
I have changed my eating habits and excersise habits (like actually doing them) Its been almost two weeks and I have only lost a pond. I had a metabolism test done to see how many calories should eat in a day, I was told not to go under that. But should I????

Replies

• nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    First - what is your expected weight loss per week? And what is that based on? The weight loss stories you see on tv are not standard/normal/realistic for real people living real lives with moderate amounts of weight to lose.

Did the test give your total daily energy expenditure? Or was it used to set a calorie target with a small deficit for weight loss? What is your calorie target? And how much weight are you trying to lose overall?
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    In addition to weightloss not being linear your monthly cycle, if you have one, can wreck havoc on scale weight - as can how much food is in transit in your system, sodium, carbs, travel, cortisol levels from stress, sleep-- All of it will change how much weight you show on the scale. Fat loss is happening anyway.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Two weeks is not enough time to notice weight loss. Myself, I lose 1/2 pound a week at best. Slow and steady...get back to us in 8 weeks and let us know how it's going.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    As a rule of thumb every time you make a significant dietary or exercise change you should give it a month for the impact of that change to settle out to start seeing the true trend of what your weight is doing.

Start thinking with a much longer timescale.

By the way if you had a Resting Metabolic Rate test done that is just part of your overall daily needs, unless you are actually resting all day it's not a reflection of your total calorie needs. As you are working as a nurse and exercising you certainly are not resting all day!

• darleenturner
    darleenturner Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I GAINED seven pounds when I started working out again, but it was just new exercise water retention and after a few weeks it all had come back off and continued going down.

cs17oe75dcn0.jpg

What is the chart and do you have a link. Cant see it o my phone
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I know it is a bummer working so hard and seeing the number on the scale change. I find it helpful to take my measurements once a month and keep an eye on other health factors like resting heart rate. The number on the scale might not be so bothersome if you find out you lost inches! Hang in there. Change is hard but you are strong.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I GAINED seven pounds when I started working out again, but it was just new exercise water retention and after a few weeks it all had come back off and continued going down.

cs17oe75dcn0.jpg

What is the chart and do you have a link. Cant see it o my phone

Try this: https://us.v-cdn.net/5021879/uploads/editor/fq/cs17oe75dcn0.jpg
  • Sixteen_Tons
    Sixteen_Tons Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I retain water very easily, my weight can fluctuate as much as 20 pounds overnight. I still weigh myself every day, but, I track progress either weekly, or monthly to see the trend. Our society espouses weight loss can/should be 'quick', in reality, it takes time, don't beat yourself over the scale, it will just make you crazy.
  • naomi9271
    naomi9271 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I suggest adding in body measurements as well as scale measurements. On the tab where you chart your weight, you can also log your waist, hips and neck measurements. Sometimes those will be changing while your scale measurements are not. That’s been the case for me, at least.
  • Viking_Dad
    Viking_Dad Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Now I'm curious; have you gotten back on track?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Viking_Dad wrote: »
    Now I'm curious; have you gotten back on track?

She hasn’t logged in since June.

Cheers, h.
  • Viking_Dad
    Viking_Dad Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I noticed. Sometimes I like to toss out a message in a bottle.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Funny article about real weight vs scale weight — https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

Don’t worry about the scale. It will all come together over time.