Has anyone else experienced these things with weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Coldness- common when you lose weight because you're losing fat which insulates the body. You lose it viscerally and subcutaneously.

Hair slow regrowth- usually an indication of not enough micronutrients, but also undereating can cause this especially with protein.

When you're smaller you burn less, but again if you're undereating, the same can happen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,594 Member
    Options
    I don't buy the fat insulator theory. But, I DO buy the extended and / or large deficits cause some slow down that slowly and mostly resolves at maintenance (or weight gain) theory.

My n=1 contains an example of weight loss with "cold" effects to the point of an actual Raynaud's diagnosis by my GP (less than 3 months, sharp deficit of unknown size using the eat the least you can while exercising the most you can to lose fast and regain faster formula).

And the example of the current 7+ year attempt where at the end of year 2/~110lbs I would feel cold if un-moving for extended periods of time. This continued to year 3/another ~10lbs. By year 4+ it only happened if I under-ate / over-moved during the day, and usually more along the lines of over-moving (say after 3-4 hours of walking), or if I've sat at the computer all day long (>10hours at a time). Or if I've gone into a persistent deficit for more than a few days (even in the 500 Cal range). So I try to play in the 250 range... and move once an hour or so! :wink:
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I've always been in a bit intolerant to cold, even when overweight. Because I lost weight slowly, I didn't notice a huge switch, but am pretty a little bit more intolerant to cold than I was. I never noticed hair loss (but then again, I have a lot of hair, anyway), but have noticed my nails did seem to get weaker.

I haven't lost a significant amount of weight recently ( about 8 pounds slowly, then about 10 more, but more quickly), but do remember when I lost weight quickly as a teenager I was cold all.the.time and my skin was dry.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I've been basically freezing since I started dieting in May 2019; the only respite is when I take diet breaks. I used to keep the temperature at 67-68 degrees; nowadays it's on 71 and a lot of summer days, we just turn the AC off and open the windows. I am constantly cold. The correlation with dieting is inescapable for me.

I haven't had hair on my head in many years, so I can't comment on that lol
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    If I eat at a deficit I am freezing, but when I eat maintenance or more I am super hot.
  • saritafann1959
    saritafann1959 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well now I know why I'm cold did not put it on the weight loss, twenty pounds down. Thanks
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    How small did you need to get to be cold, asking for a friend who withers up and dies in a hot sweaty mess once the temperature reaches like 18C 😓

I run hot and have no expectations of being cold until best case after menopause, which is yet to start despite me being almost 55 >.<

I know how to deal with the cold - I've winter camped and have been too cheap to turn up electric heat to a "normal" temperature, but suffer during the heat, despite eating and drinking cold food and drinks, and wearing as light clothing as I can get away with.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Thyroid etc are always a good thing to check and to eliminate as potential complications.

You can add to all the above:

--nails growing slow and/or more brittle and growing faster after a day or two of extra calories
    --resting heart rate that may be below where it would be if you were eating at the higher end of maintenance

Your concerns "hit" on a lot of things one observes when having some degree of adaptive thermogenesis.

Solution seems to be eating at maintenance. Perhaps pushing said maintenance as far as you can push it up without continuous / accelerated regain. And time. Have a look at reverse dieting with a pre-set "gain" budget, and/or look into a nice long diet break...

re: exercise burn: I would not be sure that either before or now are more accurate. A lot of it could be related to your apparent resting heart rate while the underlying calories getting burned are the same for the same amount of activity.

Yes, some of the OP's issues could definitely be from losing a lot of weight quickly, so count me as another vote for eating at maintenance, preferably for at least a month or so.

Meanwhile, I'd suggest seeing the doctor to check thyroid and for deficiencies.