Does anyone else have any weird habits with food?

Options
This is more of a fun question than anything else. I have two habits that I’m wondering if others relate to.

1. I love to snack, which is not super conducive to calorie counting, so I’ve started to chill by my scale and I’ll sit there weighing my snack in grams, eat it, sit there and weigh a bit more, eat it, and so on and so forth.

Yes I know I could weigh out my entire snack and then eat it in one setting, but I’ve always loved going back for seconds so this oddly satisfies that desire without me losing track of what I’m eating.

2. I love one ingredient meals or one ingredient days. I know it’s not the healthiest, but I’ll just get a craving for something and want only that.

Does anyone else eat in a way that’s slightly out of the normal from others around you? At least enough that you notice. It could be like a dish you like, where you add some unusual ingredient to it as well.

Replies

• Luluetduet8
    Luluetduet8 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    How big is a travel scale?
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    How big is a travel scale?

It's roughly the size of my iphone, slightly thicker but easy to put in a backpack without issue.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L92G6CF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Luluetduet8
    Luluetduet8 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    steveko89 wrote: »
    I'm unsure how weird it in within this community but I recently bought a travel food scale and it's awesome.

I bought one for work and used to take it to Whole Foods with me to weigh all the more calorie dense food at the salad bar when I'd pick up something for lunch.

After checking out the What We're Eating thread, I realized I am VERY weird with how I eat. :)

I don't do actual meals like chicken, broccoli, rice or a fancified version of a meal. I eat things one at a time (and usually in the same order) so like I'll go get a bowl of cottage cheese/greek yogurt/protein powder, finish it, make some butternut squash, finish it, make my liquid egg/egg whites in the microwave, finish it, eat a banana, finish it, etc.

We also get a big bag of m&ms from one of our vendors whenever we place an order and if I take the bag home (I'm the only one who eats them), I separate the m&ms into colors...red/black, orange/yellow, green and eat them in that order. And with the two colors, I have to have an equal number of each color so like 2 red and 2 black at the same time.

Yes! Another person who eats things one at a time. Haha I’m glad to hear I’m not alone. All my friends look at me with distress when they see I never put a meal together “correctly.”
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I'm unsure how weird it in within this community but I recently bought a travel food scale and it's awesome.

I bought one for work and used to take it to Whole Foods with me to weigh all the more calorie dense food at the salad bar when I'd pick up something for lunch.

After checking out the What We're Eating thread, I realized I am VERY weird with how I eat. :)

I don't do actual meals like chicken, broccoli, rice or a fancified version of a meal. I eat things one at a time (and usually in the same order) so like I'll go get a bowl of cottage cheese/greek yogurt/protein powder, finish it, make some butternut squash, finish it, make my liquid egg/egg whites in the microwave, finish it, eat a banana, finish it, etc.

We also get a big bag of m&ms from one of our vendors whenever we place an order and if I take the bag home (I'm the only one who eats them), I separate the m&ms into colors...red/black, orange/yellow, green and eat them in that order. And with the two colors, I have to have an equal number of each color so like 2 red and 2 black at the same time.

Yes! Another person who eats things one at a time. Haha I’m glad to hear I’m not alone. All my friends look at me with distress when they see I never put a meal together “correctly.”

Ditto! I have a few strange and borderline bizarre habits and food combinations... lol
    I have a food scale at home and work and weigh everything. I love voluminous and use things to thicken, expand and stretch food. I like mashing protein powder in sugar free jello. I use glucommanon in Mt protein,soups, oats and more. I have to but portion sizes or make my own. I cannot have too much food in my house at once. I eat foods in specific order, times and combinations. I have specific spoons, cups, bowls and plates. I have " theme days" where everything is similar in flavor profiles. I do not eat high fat foods the same day as high carb usually except rice cakes with nut butter. I will have a food obsession for days, weeks or months then not want it ever again or for few months. I have tofu with cocoavpowder, cinnamon and stevia almost every night and have for over 10 years.
    There are much more ...lol
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    I'm not an eat-one-thing-for-a-day person but I make efforts to keep different food from touching and eat things on my plate individually in a sequence rather than mixed together and/or a little bit of everything evenly. Unless the dish is intended to be mixed together by design, of course.
  • YellowD0gs
    YellowD0gs Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    All my unique habits are perfectly normal, thank you very much! :wink:
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    The Skittles comment reminded me of how I eat M&Ms, one color at a time, usually beginning with the least amount.
    I guess my only other weird eating habit is eating a lot of plain 0% fat yogurt but doctoring it up with peanut butter and SF syrup. It's really yum but I have to be careful of how much PB I use.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    VegjoyP wrote: »

Ditto! I have a few strange and borderline bizarre habits and food combinations... lol
    I have a food scale at home and work and weigh everything. I love voluminous and use things to thicken, expand and stretch food. I like mashing protein powder in sugar free jello. I use glucommanon in Mt protein,soups, oats and more. I have to but portion sizes or make my own. I cannot have too much food in my house at once. I eat foods in specific order, times and combinations. I have specific spoons, cups, bowls and plates. I have " theme days" where everything is similar in flavor profiles. I do not eat high fat foods the same day as high carb usually except rice cakes with nut butter. I will have a food obsession for days, weeks or months then not want it ever again or for few months. I have tofu with cocoavpowder, cinnamon and stevia almost every night and have for over 10 years.
    There are much more ...lol

Funny that all of these would be considered "ED behaviors" yet I do them all too. My sister had an ED and they told her all of these things were because of her ED and I was like.... I do all of that too though.
  • Indee19
    Indee19 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Colored candies like M&Ms and Skittles are grouped by color then eaten in order of the one I have the least of. It sounds like I'm not alone on this one!

On a plate with a variety of foods I eat the one I like least first.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    Indee19 wrote: »
    Colored candies like M&Ms and Skittles are grouped by color then eaten in order of the one I have the least of. It sounds like I'm not alone on this one!

I always save the best for last. Hence the green m&ms. 😁

And I toss the blue ones cuz I think they taste off.
  • Indee19
    Options

Green will ALWAYS be the best and blue needs to go away. Bring back the browns!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options

OMG, I was going to bring up the purple because I remembered they were around a while and googled to make sure they weren't a fever dream and the original colors were red, yellow, green, brown, and purple. Screw you, blue!

(Originally came out in 1941. I'm old but not THAT old!)
  • Indee19
    Options

OMG, I was going to bring up the purple because I remembered they were around a while and googled to make sure they weren't a fever dream and the original colors were red, yellow, green, brown, and purple. Screw you, blue!

(Originally came out in 1941. I'm old but not THAT old!)

It was an unfair set up for both purple and blue. M&Ms are meant to be fall colors. They don't belong. #freeblue
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,428 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else having a craving for M&M cookies right now?
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options

I refuse to hit the disagree button but I DO disagree with all the green lovers here. Orange is the best. Especially if they're Peanut M&M's. :)