Has anyone seen success switching to Organic?

Options

Replies

• wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Washing produce will remove some amount of water soluble pesticides on the surfaces. Nothing as to systemic pesticides and nothing useful as to bacteria. Probably fans of organic will not want to hear this but the washing actually removes antibacterial agents found on some produce. So it will actually increase bacteria levels. And, of course, no dry produce should be washed and put away. It should be washed, if at all, immediately before consumption.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Washing produce will remove some amount of water soluble pesticides on the surfaces. Nothing as to systemic pesticides and nothing useful as to bacteria. Probably fans of organic will not want to hear this but the washing actually removes antibacterial agents found on some produce. So it will actually increase bacteria levels. And, of course, no dry produce should be washed and put away. It should be washed, if at all, immediately before consumption.

I found about five little green bugs on my broccolini today! The little stinkers blended in really well and even hung on through washing and chopping. I even had to pick a couple out of the pan after I started cooking it thinking I'd finally found them all!

Some people say yay for the extra protein, but I say no thank you.

I tend to store produce in whatever way it will keep the longest. TBH I'm not always sure if it's the absolute "cleanest" way that's longest lasting, but I'd rather get to eat it than have to throw it out for going bad. Then it just becomes expensive compost.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    I have been reading alot about nutrition and your body lately and how the effects of toxins in our food can lead to weight gain and other health issues. I am curious if anyone switched to an organic lifestyle and saw good changes in weight or medical condition?

Currently as of a week ago I am doing IF 14/10, cut out processed foods and switched to an organic lifestyle, and use the elliptical from 10 to 20min a day. I have high blood sugar and blood pressure so I am hoping to see a good change there and my weight but im not sure if its wishful thinking since im not noticing much movement on the scale

And most (if not all) of what you are reading is fear-mongering. In terms of available nutrients, there is very little, if any, difference between organic and non-organic foods. In terms of pesticides and residue, many of the pesticides allowed in organic farming are just as toxic and just as harmful to the environment as those allowed in non-organic farming. In fact, it is a rather common practice to spray a field with non-organic pesticides (to kill the bugs before planting the crop), allow the field to sit for a couple of weeks, plant a crop and then declare that the produce that comes from the field is organic because no more pesticides were used after the crops were planted.

The only real difference between organic and non-organic is the price at the grocery store.

That's not how "USDA organic" certification works, in the US.

That said, organic food will not make any meaningful difference in weight loss. (I say that as someone who eats a fair fraction of her diet as organic foods, though not for weight loss reasons, and only for health speculatively with respect to a single food group. Non organically grown foods, as long as responsibly grown and handled, are healthful, IMO.)

I have a Meyer Lemon Tree in my backyard. I use no pesticides or non-organic chemicals on it. I came in one day and said something like "nothing like organic lemons". My straight A adult daughter, who was tops of her college class (at a major university) said "that's not organic, it has to have a designation as organic...". Alrighty then...

It's amazing how little people understand about what organic really means. But the "organic feed" sometimes is also the ground chickies from the egg industry. Another nasty little secret. Didn't know that until my dogs were going absolutely nuts when I put "organic plant food" on my fruit trees. They grind the males up for fertilizer. True fact. Live. Cruel and true. The egg industry said they would end this barbaric practice soon. Not sure when.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options

I found about five little green bugs on my broccolini today! The little stinkers blended in really well and even hung on through washing and chopping. I even had to pick a couple out of the pan after I started cooking it thinking I'd finally found them all!

I tend to store produce in whatever way it will keep the longest. TBH I'm not always sure if it's the absolute "cleanest" way that's longest lasting, but I'd rather get to eat it than have to throw it out for going bad. Then it just becomes expensive compost.

Off topic, but we (or rather my husband) have a giant garden, and broccoli has been growing like crazy. The first ones we picked had several green larvae in them (which I hate!). He even blanched them in salt/vinegar water, as he read that was supposed to make the come out...nope, still found some ALIVE on them in the fridge the next day.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,174 Member
    Options

Off topic, but we (or rather my husband) have a giant garden, and broccoli has been growing like crazy. The first ones we picked had several green larvae in them (which I hate!). He even blanched them in salt/vinegar water, as he read that was supposed to make the come out...nope, still found some ALIVE on them in the fridge the next day.

Still off topic: Salt water soak might help.

If they're cabbage looper larvae or similar, Bt (thuricide) spray is an organic (i.e., US certifiably organic AFAIK) option. It's been controversial, especially in commercial overspray or GMO contexts, but if you have a lot of trouble with larvae, I'd encourage you to look into the pros/cons more deeply, and see if it seems OK to you.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options

If they're cabbage looper larvae or similar, Bt (thuricide) spray is an organic (i.e., US certifiably organic AFAIK) option. It's been controversial, especially in commercial overspray or GMO contexts, but if you have a lot of trouble with larvae, I'd encourage you to look into the pros/cons more deeply, and see if it seems OK to you.

This is helpful! A lot of our produce comes from an organic CSA (including the buggy broccolini) but I have a small garden too, and I'm a definite novice. I'm actually having more trouble this year with things eating my flowers rather than my veggies and herbs. But pest control is definitely not easy, and I'm really only fending them off a few plants that I see constantly and can painstakingly look through, not huge crops designed to feed hundreds or even thousands of people.
  • dshvimmer
    dshvimmer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    the benefits of agricultural products do not depend on the cultivation technology, but varies depending on the type of crops and the amount of nutrients in the soil. However, to the delight of organic fans, eco-products can contain 20–70% more antioxidants, as well as 10–100 times less pesticides in their composition.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options

This is helpful! A lot of our produce comes from an organic CSA (including the buggy broccolini) but I have a small garden too, and I'm a definite novice. I'm actually having more trouble this year with things eating my flowers rather than my veggies and herbs. But pest control is definitely not easy, and I'm really only fending them off a few plants that I see constantly and can painstakingly look through, not huge crops designed to feed hundreds or even thousands of people.

I use BONIDE Captain Jack's Deadbug Brew to control the little orange/red bugs (not ladybugs) on my tiger lilies. Per the label, I spray in the evenings, after the bees have finished feeding for the day.

Captain Jack is another naturally occurring bacterium also approved for organic vegetable gardening, but Bt is even milder, so I stick to that for veggies.

https://bonide.com/product/captain-jacks-dbb-conc/

I also plant marigolds among my veggies, as they attract beneficial insects. Hmm, I see they are supposed to ward off cabbage worms. Will try planting more around my kale next year.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/plant-marigolds-vegetable-gardens-53427.html

In addition to the cheery flowers that marigolds bring to your garden, they also attract beneficial insects, such as ladybugs, hoverflies and parasitic mini-wasps, that prey on garden pests. If you sow the marigolds as a cover crop and plow them under before planting, they will repel harmful nematodes.

And there is some evidence that marigolds ward off cabbage worms from cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli and Brussels sprouts.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Always wash fruit and buy either prewashed veggies (eg salad bags) or wash them whether organic or standard.

Antimicrobials are applied to fruits post harvest. One example is ortho Phenylphenol being applied to citrus and pears to prevent fungal growth. This material is water soluble and easily rinsed off, but has been proven to be harmful to humans.

Often, people don’t wash citrus and other fruits they will peel, but the antimicrobials get on your hands and into your mouth.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    On the taste thing, it's likely nothing to do with pesticide choice. Probably smaller-scale production versus the massive scale producers who have bred for appearance and longevity for extended shipping at the expense of taste. (such as those god-awful ubiquitous Driscoll Strawberries at most supermarkets here versus the amazingly more flavourful (but more delicate and having a shorter season) local strawberries).
  • kshama2001
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    On the taste thing, it's likely nothing to do with pesticide choice. Probably smaller-scale production versus the massive scale producers who have bred for appearance and longevity for extended shipping at the expense of taste. (such as those god-awful ubiquitous Driscoll Strawberries at most supermarkets here versus the amazingly more flavourful (but more delicate and having a shorter season) local strawberries).

Yes, the strawberries I grow are AMAZING. I don't attribute this to my lack of pesticide use, but to me picking them at peak ripeness and only transporting them to my kitchen, if that far.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Yes, the strawberries I grow are AMAZING. I don't attribute this to my lack of pesticide use, but to me picking them at peak ripeness and only transporting them to my kitchen, if that far.

Yeah, I buy a mix of organic and non-organic vegetables at my farmer's market. I don't notice a difference between organic and non-organic, but everything that is grown at farms in my area tastes miles better than the same product purchased at the grocery store. And the produce I buy at the "local" section of my grocery store often tastes better than the other produce I'm buying.

• ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options

Yeah, I buy a mix of organic and non-organic vegetables at my farmer's market. I don't notice a difference between organic and non-organic, but everything that is grown at farms in my area tastes miles better than the same product purchased at the grocery store. And the produce I buy at the "local" section of my grocery store often tastes better than the other produce I'm buying.

Carrots from the farmers market taste like a completely different vegetabe compared to the ones in the grocery store!
  • NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    BTW these sunscreens were just recalled and I threw mine away for the same reasons that I choose organic when possible. "out of an abundance of caution."
    J&J said in a statement that "use of these products would not be expected to cause adverse health consequences" and that it voluntarily decided to recall them "out of an abundance of caution."
    Reducing pesticides and contaminants is part of a healthy lifestyle. I don't foresee weight loss or anything based solely on eating organic, but it's all part of a healthy mindset. & with that you will see results! I eat organic whenever it's available, but am only particular about a few things; organic berries, celery, bananas (because taste) and wine. There was a study, a few years back, showing high arsenic levels in some of my favorite cheap wines, but not in any of the organic ones so I tend to buy those now.

https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/johnson-johnson-consumer-inc-issues-voluntary-recall-specific-neutrogenar-and-aveenor-aerosol
    iam4scuba wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    What keeps me paying the premium for the organics is when I drive past the extensive corn and soy fields where I live and I see all the weeds yellowing and dying amongst the sparkling green crops after they come through with the crop dusters. It just highlights for me the absurdity of literally drenching a plant with poisons throughout its growing cycle and then eating it. That just can’t be very good for you.
    So do you use makeup or cleansers on your body? You realize soap is made of lye (which is caustic)? Dosage matters. And specific pesticides kill specific plants/weeds. If you go to a lawn and garden shop, you'll find fertilizers that kill weeds in your lawn, but don't affect the lawn itself.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I take issue with the premise. Even assuming makeup and soap is bad for you, the argument that you shouldn't decrease contaminants in your food because you are subject to contaminants elsewhere seems flawed.
  • kshama2001
    Options

Carrots from the farmers market taste like a completely different vegetable compared to the ones in the grocery store!

I only buy peaches from a local orchard. I'll make do with supermarket apples if I have to, but the ones from the orchard are so much better.

And don't get me started on the amazing bananas and pineapple I had in Costa Rica!
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options

Yes, this is what they are! I will definitely look into that. What's interesting is that they don't seem to have gotten into the later-bloominh broccoli or cauliflower.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options

Carrots from the farmers market taste like a completely different vegetable compared to the ones in the grocery store!

I only buy peaches from a local orchard. I'll make do with supermarket apples if I have to, but the ones from the orchard are so much better.

And don't get me started on the amazing bananas and pineapple I had in Costa Rica!

I'll occasionally buy apples, tomatoes, and stone fruit (nectarines, peaches, plums and apricots) out of season at the grocery store, but I load up on them at the local farm stand when they're in season and have at least one a day.