Indoor rower

Hello, I'm looking to add an indoor rower to my home gym. Any recommendations on brands that are good or to stay away from? TIA!

Replies

• lmf1012
    lmf1012 Posts: 402 Member
    Concept2 is considered to be the go-to brand, that is what I got for my home gym.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    lmf1012 wrote: »
    Concept2 is considered to be the go-to brand, that is what I got for my home gym.

Same. C2 or bust (usually literally).
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,094 Member
    Another vote for Concept 2, works great! (but I've never used another brand).
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited July 2021
    Concept2 and it's not even close. Don't even consider the other "interactive" ones like Ergatta or Nordic Track. What people that see the Concept2 don't understand is there is an entire world of interactive apps that only work with the Concept2. Every single interactive thing pails in comparison to what you have available with a C2. People see a TV screen built onto a crap rower and pay $3000 for it. That's silly and uninformed.

The reason? Durability and every single real over the water rower only uses the Concept2. It's that good. It's also the reason you can't find one used. And if someone is (rarely) selling one used, it will go for nearly what they bought it for (during Covid, actually higher, because there was a wait list from Concept2 to get a new one). I've tried nearly every brand and they are hot garbage in comparison.

Ergatta is just a WaterRower with an inferior app. Nordic Track the same thing. There's an app called Asensai that is the same as what both of these offer and it's made by World Class Olympic rowers, not personal trainers. asensai is also putting up videos of rowing. And they help with training.

ErgData is a training app that auto loads your workouts onto a Concept2 logbook. It tracks improvements, stroke mechanics, history of workouts.

There's a new one called EXR Rowing. It's being developed to be the Zwift of Rowing. Plus, Zwift has rowing being developed for the Concept2 (not others).

You can buy a phone cradle or a tablet cradle to go right on your machine and Wa-lah, it's an interactive machine.

There's several more I'm not including (RowPro for virtual racing in real time) and LiveRowing, among others.

https://www.concept2.com/service/software/apps

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,963 Member
    Yup, C2. I'm an on-water rower, and Concept 2 is what's used for land training all the way up to national team (Olympic) level, plus for most indoor competition, whether simple machine racing or part of Crossfit games. Gold standard.

Not cheap, but bulletproof. I've had mine since around 2004, use it lots through Winter. A little chain oil, a couple of battery changes, and it's still perfect.

• SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    The concept 2 has awesome ratings ladders where you can compare yourself to everyone else for age/weight/distance.
    They also have huge Facebook followings. Plus daily WOD’s and a ton of YouTube workouts that are all free.
    Plus the rower itself is bulletproof
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    What everyone else said.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    edited July 2021
    I went shopping for a spin bike at a Fitness Depot (don’t know if they’re a chain but they had a huge selection, and I’m sure there’s similar places where you are. )

After talking to the sales people and being able to try several bikes, I came home with something totally unexpected and unplannned- a recumbent bike which I love and use daily. Ironically, I initially totally pooh’poohed the idea when the guy suggested it.

Moral of my story is go somewhere you can ask questions and try things out.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    I own both the Concept 2 Rower and the Concept 2 Bike Erg.

The rower is fantastic.

The Bike Erg.... well, I really, really don't like the bike at all.

In fact, I'm looking to sell it and instead buy a trainer for one of my road bikes / zwift.
  • AnnPT77
    Motorsheen wrote: »

The rower is fantastic.

In fact, I'm looking to sell it and instead buy a trainer for one of my road bikes / zwift.

I own both, too. Wouldn't recommend the bike to someone on that specific machine's merits, either - there are better bike options. (There are reasons I chose it and keep it, but they're idiosyncratic.)
  • MikePfirrman
    edited July 2021

The rower is fantastic.

When I bought my Assault style bike, I considered one. I think the real huge C2 geeks (way more passionate about it than I am) love their BikeErgs. For the same reasons they love the rower -- because the ability to compete against each other and see all of their times.

For me, it was a no brainer to get something (instead) that worked more of the entire body.

There's also the whole "ergathlon" thing where now they have a way to do the rower, bike and skierg and somehow tie the times together, like a triathlon of C2 machines. Again, you have to be a huge fan of C2 to enjoy that sort of stuff.
  • MikePfirrman

The rower is fantastic.

Oh, and some of the friends that I know that ride the thing a ton are experiencing noises that are hard to fix. While Customer Service has been super responsive to them, there are some mechanical issues that C2 hasn't quite seemed to work out with the Bike yet.
  • Motorsheen

The rower is fantastic.

Oh, and some of the friends that I know that ride the thing a ton are experiencing noises that are hard to fix. While Customer Service has been super responsive to them, there are some mechanical issues that C2 hasn't quite seemed to work out with the Bike yet.

I called customer service and was told "Those noises might be normal; can you record them and send those to us?"

..... and in regards to standing on the Bike Erg while pedaling ( spoiler alert: You Can't - the resistance simply slips away - this is the deal breaker for me.). I was told to "change my pedal stroke". Really? I've trained for decades on road bikes and know exactly what I'm doing. To change my pedal stroke to meet their inane recommendation was kind of insulting.

I purchased it online and before doing so, I called Concept 2 and asked if there was a Bike Erg anywhere in the state of Arizona that I could try out. You know, like maybe a Crossfit gym. I was told "No.".

I could go on and on about the poor ergonomics and design decisions on the Bike Erg. My problem is that I'm used to putting in the hours on a road bike and not 15 minute sessions while only seated. Comparing the two are like night and day. That's 100% on me for believing the reviews from the crossfit community and not riding the bike before it's purchase.

This thread has now convinced me to sell that (*&%@! thing online and invest in something far more worthwhile.
    Thanks for keeping it alive.
  • MikePfirrman
    @Motorsheen - I would join a C2 online group on FB and sell it that way. I think you'd find takers. Yeah, that would kill me not being able to stand up and pedal. I can even do that (though it's not terribly comfortable to do it) on my AD Pro.
  • Motorsheen
    @Motorsheen - I would join a C2 online group on FB and sell it that way. I think you'd find takers. Yeah, that would kill me not being able to stand up and pedal. I can even do that (though it's not terribly comfortable to do it) on my AD Pro.

@MikePfirrman

Thank you sir, not a bad idea.
  • AnnPT77

The rower is fantastic.

I called customer service and was told "Those noises might be normal; can you record them and send those to us?"

..... and in regards to standing on the Bike Erg while pedaling ( spoiler alert: You Can't - the resistance simply slips away - this is the deal breaker for me.). I was told to "change my pedal stroke". Really? I've trained for decades on road bikes and know exactly what I'm doing. To change my pedal stroke to meet their inane recommendation was kind of insulting.

I purchased it online and before doing so, I called Concept 2 and asked if there was a Bike Erg anywhere in the state of Arizona that I could try out. You know, like maybe a Crossfit gym. I was told "No.".

I could go on and on about the poor ergonomics and design decisions on the Bike Erg. My problem is that I'm used to putting in the hours on a road bike and not 15 minute sessions while only seated. Comparing the two are like night and day. That's 100% on me for believing the reviews from the crossfit community and not riding the bike before it's purchase.

This thread has now convinced me to sell that (*&%@! thing online and invest in something far more worthwhile.
    Thanks for keeping it alive.

I admit I usually indoor-bike at home seated, unlike at spin class, because (unlike rowing) I can multi-task and cycle, so usually use it for lower-intensity base work. My BikeErg has not, in my use of it, made weird noises (but I'm light, not a super-strong cyclist, which may make a difference, dunno). I've also not noticed the loss of resistance when standing, but I've only done small amounts of standing because of the niche it fits in my routine. I'll have to try that for longer next time (which will be a while, probably, as outdoor cycling - and more importantly rowing - season is here).
  • Back_4_more
    Back_4_more Posts: 92 Member
    I recently purchased a Concept2 rower, used but in excellent condition. I was going to buy a cheap 1 from Amazon but glad I didn't. This is a tank and parts are available if needed from the company.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    my husband got a cheap one on amazon, the sunny one that works for those with inseams up to 38". we don't expect it to last, but for now, he's been doing 30 to 45 minutes 6 days a week. if he continues to love it, we'll get him something better down the line, but he prefers rowing to pedaling, and he actually enjoys this rower for the time being. btw, he puts two feet on blocks to make a steeper angle to work legs more.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Another happy C2 user here. They're the gold standard and there's a reason that olympic level athletes use them for dryland training, they're built like tanks and require minimal maintenance. I've had mine for close to 10 years (and closing in on 10,000,000 metres) and it has performed flawlessly with the occasional cleaning & chain lubrication.
  • happyness4me
    happyness4me Posts: 58 Member
    Thanks for the recs!