Indoor rower

2»

Replies

• z3dreamer
    z3dreamer Posts: 26 Member
    I echo everyone's comments about the C2 rower. I have rowed millions of meters. Have one at home.

No one has spoken about the C2 SkiErg. I first used it at the local gym. Bought one for my home gym. A great cardio and maybe full body workout. Has the same monitor and online experience as the rower. I highly recommend it.

Please note that I am not an on-the-water rower, nor am I a skier. Just a gym rat.
  • bartcal
    bartcal Posts: 40 Member
    I was prepared to buy an expensive rower...then realized the Concept2 would do what I needed and I could find videos etc. on youtube or other places for much less than those expensive machines' monthly contracts. I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    bartcal wrote: »
    I was prepared to buy an expensive rower...then realized the Concept2 would do what I needed and I could find videos etc. on youtube or other places for much less than those expensive machines' monthly contracts. I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

There are tablet holders for the C2. asensai is an app where they are now making videos and integrate training. EXR is an app where you row in a virtual river. There are a growing amount of apps that, arguably, are going to be better than what either NordicTrack, Ergatta or Hydrow can offer. And they are all being made for the Concept2. Zwift is even working on a rowing offering with the C2.
  • albamarie61
    albamarie61 Posts: 40 Member
    Hi Rower Users! I want to pull the lever on getting the Concept2 Rower and I am now confused and over-analyzing (analysis paralysis is real!) on whether the standard 14 inch height or the new 20 inch height is a better choice. I am now 60 and while I have no issues getting up from a lower height, I am thinking of the future. Thoughts, user experience and opinions are welcome! Thanks in advance.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Hi Rower Users! I want to pull the lever on getting the Concept2 Rower and I am now confused and over-analyzing (analysis paralysis is real!) on whether the standard 14 inch height or the new 20 inch height is a better choice. I am now 60 and while I have no issues getting up from a lower height, I am thinking of the future. Thoughts, user experience and opinions are welcome! Thanks in advance.

I have the lower type, bought way long ago when there was no taller version. I'm 66, have bad knees (osteoarthritis, torn meniscus), but not to the point where they prevent rowing. I have zero problems getting up and down from the rower. I suspect that if you start rowing regularly at 60, it will be a long, long time before you can't get up and down from the short one - unless you are unfortunate enough to experience some unrelated injury, which we of course all hope won't happen!

I have rower buddies into their 70s and 80s, and none have ever complained about the rowing machine height. (I'd observe that our boats - the singles - are about 4" above the waterline, seat might be up a little from that, maybe 6", depending on the boat. The 70s and 80s folks are getting into and out of those, too. I admit, that does get more challenging as I age, unless I work at the relevant flexibility/strength.

If it feels better to you to spend the extra $150 as a bet-hedge, that's fine, too. There's no particular technical down-side to the taller one, that I'm aware of.

I'm just being puckish, now: Some people my age tell me they're (sadly) having trouble stepping into a standard bathtub (14-16"), and (also sadly) I've seen others have difficulty putting their legs over the bench of a picnic table (17-18"), where the bench isn't a separate thing one can slide onto from the end. I guess one could get onto the rower by walking in from the end, if one's space has enough room for that, but the 20" Rowerg would otherwise require lifting one's foot 6" higher, to swing the leg over the rower, compared to the 14" one.

If I were buying a Rowerg now, I'd buy the dynamic. However, the difference is small, and if the user doesn't also row boats, my reasons for saying that absolutely wouldn't apply. (I've heard that Concept 2 tries to dissuade people from picking the dynamic, unless they're on-water rowers. That makes sense to me. The dynamic is harder to use - in a technical sense, not in a workout intensity sense - and costs like $350 more.)
  • albamarie61
    albamarie61 Posts: 40 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I have the lower type, bought way long ago when there was no taller version. I'm 66, have bad knees (osteoarthritis, torn meniscus), but not to the point where they prevent rowing. I have zero problems getting up and down from the rower. I suspect that if you start rowing regularly at 60, it will be a long, long time before you can't get up and down from the short one - unless you are unfortunate enough to experience some unrelated injury, which we of course all hope won't happen!

I have rower buddies into their 70s and 80s, and none have ever complained about the rowing machine height. (I'd observe that our boats - the singles - are about 4" above the waterline, seat might be up a little from that, maybe 6", depending on the boat. The 70s and 80s folks are getting into and out of those, too. I admit, that does get more challenging as I age, unless I work at the relevant flexibility/strength.

If it feels better to you to spend the extra $150 as a bet-hedge, that's fine, too. There's no particular technical down-side to the taller one, that I'm aware of.

I'm just being puckish, now: Some people my age tell me they're (sadly) having trouble stepping into a standard bathtub (14-16"), and (also sadly) I've seen others have difficulty putting their legs over the bench of a picnic table (17-18"), where the bench isn't a separate thing one can slide onto from the end. I guess one could get onto the rower by walking in from the end, if one's space has enough room for that, but the 20" Rowerg would otherwise require lifting one's foot 6" higher, to swing the leg over the rower, compared to the 14" one.

If I were buying a Rowerg now, I'd buy the dynamic. However, the difference is small, and if the user doesn't also row boats, my reasons for saying that absolutely wouldn't apply. (I've heard that Concept 2 tries to dissuade people from picking the dynamic, unless they're on-water rowers. That makes sense to me. The dynamic is harder to use - in a technical sense, not in a workout intensity sense - and costs like $350 more.)

Ann,

Thank you for commenting. I remember reading in your posts that you are a rower and I was hoping you would answer! I will definitely never row on open water as I have an intense fear of it (so good to know that I don't need the dynamic). I didn't learn to swim until I was in my 20s and being able to do laps in a pool (with a deep end!) is one of my proudest accomplishments. May sound silly to some, but I used to be so scared of the water that I would not get in anything deeper than my mid-thigh. I am swimming laps two to three times a week now, but I need some cross-training and due to an ankle injury intense walking/running is out.

I will most likely stick to the lower height rower and if I feel that I would be better served by the taller legs one day, they do make a retro kit that I can order.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Ann,

Thank you for commenting. I remember reading in your posts that you are a rower and I was hoping you would answer! I will definitely never row on open water as I have an intense fear of it (so good to know that I don't need the dynamic). I didn't learn to swim until I was in my 20s and being able to do laps in a pool (with a deep end!) is one of my proudest accomplishments. May sound silly to some, but I used to be so scared of the water that I would not get in anything deeper than my mid-thigh. I am swimming laps two to three times a week now, but I need some cross-training and due to an ankle injury intense walking/running is out.

I will most likely stick to the lower height rower and if I feel that I would be better served by the taller legs one day, they do make a retro kit that I can order.

It doesn't sound silly at all! While I don't fear the water - I took backwoods canoe-camping vacations in Canada for years, with my late husband, for example - I didn't really learn how to swim competently until taking adult learn-to-row classes when I was around 50. (Before that, I could float & swim on my back indefinitely, but no other strokes.) I still don't like swimming, but do try to practice sometimes - rowers need self-rescue skills.

Sounds like you have a good plan, for the rowing machine. That's what I'd do, in your spot.

I'd recommend investing some time and patience in slow rowing at first, to get the technique down well. Good technique is what lets a person scale workout intensity as they get fitter. With sub-par technique, intensity is limited (people end up whipping up and down the slide at high strokes per minute, not much intensity, don't get as much out of the workout as they could). It's better to be patient, go slow, get technique right initially, harder to fix it later.

Have fun!
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,301 Member
    My daughter is a college rowed and C2 all the way.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    My daughter is a college rowed and C2 all the way.

Remember the scandal with the rich kids in California with Lori Loughlin and Olivia Jade?

To me, the most hilarious part of this is they sent a picture of Olivia Jade to the rowing coach (that was in on it) with her on a WaterRower. Everyone in the entire rowing world was like, "a WaterRower????".
  • lifterfifty
    lifterfifty Posts: 1 Member
    Cooper on Garage Gyms reviews had a knock off C2 rower for half the price. I can’t remember the name of it but you could check it out.

I once had an opportunity to purchase a used C2 for $75,,, missed it by one email.