True or false?

Options
Is it true that if your muscles are sore you retain some water and it's not a good time to weigh yourself if you want a true number ?

Replies

• ChaoticMoira
    ChaoticMoira Posts: 103 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Someone just mentioned this to me. I had no idea it was a thing. But I looked it up, and it is. I don't personally understand weighing ones self daily, or stressing about a pound or two, because fluctuation is normal. My workout partner weighs herself daily and just gets upset if it is a pound up from yesterday...

I weigh myself weekly, and hope to see a trend in loss. Doing this, I never see it go up.. Problem solved... Seemingly at least.. My trend lately has been lower than I want it to be, but I guess I should just be glad it is going down..

I should mention weekly would not work the same if I had less to lose, as loss is slower then. Once I am under 200 lbs, I will probably shift to bi-weekly, and eventually even monthly...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,481 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Speaking only for myself personally here, not to be directive to others:

I've weighed myself daily, and noted the result, for well over a decade, starting long before even trying to lose weight. (I'm a data geek in other ways, too, not a weight obsessive.)

From that long experience, I know that there's pretty much no weighing frequency I could adopt that both gives me adequate guidance for managing weight, and absolutely guarantees I'll see a drop in weight every time, even during times when I'm actually steadily losing fat. 🤷‍♀️

It just seems easier for me to keep weighing daily, noting the results, learn from the fluctuations, be guided by the longer term trend.

But I know that I'm wired in a way that makes it easy not to feel bad or be de-motivated by one day's weight . . . or even by a short-term trend, if I'm pretty sure it's misleading. People differ, not everyone is lucky that way.

Now that I'm in long-term maintenance, I don't see how I could feel actually motivated by watching the scale noodle around in the same few-pound range for months or years. Realistically, it's kind of boring. But if I stop weighing at all, I lose useful feedback (guardrails) on staying at a healthy weight.
  • YellowD0gs
    YellowD0gs Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily because at this point in the process, I know that this morning's weight change is largely a result of yesterday's CICO; good, bad or indifferent. And seeing that number while I can still remember what I did and ate yesterday is a motivational reinforcement for how I'll act today.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Someone just mentioned this to me. I had no idea it was a thing. But I looked it up, and it is. I don't personally understand weighing ones self daily, or stressing about a pound or two, because fluctuation is normal. My workout partner weighs herself daily and just gets upset if it is a pound up from yesterday...

I weigh myself weekly, and hope to see a trend in loss. Doing this, I never see it go up.. Problem solved... Seemingly at least.. My trend lately has been lower than I want it to be, but I guess I should just be glad it is going down..

I should mention weekly would not work the same if I had less to lose, as loss is slower then. Once I am under 200 lbs, I will probably shift to bi-weekly, and eventually even monthly...

I weigh weekly at present but plan to up the frequency as I get closer to goal weight - within 20 lbs or so, probably eventually getting to daily. Right now it's rare that I have my weight actually go up at a weekly weigh in, though it has happened a few times. But I know as I get closer to goal and my deficit shrinks I will probably experience it more often, and at that point I'd rather have the comfort of more data points to identify the trend, rather than being grouchy about a blip all week (or longer, if I were to extend the times between weigh ins). Right now it's still kind of a touchy thing for me emotionally, though it's much better than it was when I started losing. And I am a data nerd too so I think that part of me will win out.
  • FitnessFreak1821
    FitnessFreak1821 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for clarifying and the tips! I might start daily and log it in go get more of a understanding
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    b1lt5fj2rl3a.jpg