Help for a drowning woman

Options
Hello, I was wondering if I could get some advice from a couple of people. I was in a motorcycle accident almost a year ago, and sustained a few injuries. After 2 months in the hospital, another month non-weight bearing, and then another operation six weeks ago to fuse my ankle, I have found myself with significant muscle loss and weight gain. With reduced metabolism, menopause, thyroid issues, insulin resistance, and weight gain as a side affect medication, I am finding it hard to lose weight. I have just been cleared to start weight bearing again, but slowly over the course of the next month. Aside from my ankle, I can move the rest of me.
I am flirting with intermittent fasting, but am wondering if there is anyone that may be able to offer some advice that would hack into the stronghold my body seems to have on keeping and increasing this weight. At this point, it feels like a "my precious" kind of situation. Thank you in advance.

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    No advice, but my goodness! Wishing you the very best!
  • jmgroberts468
    jmgroberts468 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you for responding. You are inspiring.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I'm so very sorry you have been dealt a poor hand. You have my best wishes.

What I am going to type is controversial on MFP. I veer to the functional side in medicine, this is as a patient.

Looking to link some of your issues together, start thinking thyroid function this links to muscle loss, insulin resistance and reduced metabolism. I do not underestimate the effects of not weightbearing, operations and all those will only add to the problem.

I strongly advise you to do your own research into thyroid function, the thyroid is not a gland on, its own its pivotal to the endocrine system and its very complicated. Most General Medics think its, "oh so simple" but that does the intraassay of body no respect. Please read either the latest hard copy of, Stop the Thyroid Madness, there is also the website of the same name. You will be able to find lists of doctors especially who have helped persons who have not achieved better function on t4 only treatments, it does not work for everyone. The US list has broad representation across the US thought internationally it is weak.

You need a medic who is willing to do a full raft of tests not least establishing what your active t3 level is. There is an expectation that all persons can't fail to convert t4 to t3 and nothing is further from the truth. If someone is over or under in their personal requirements for t3 they will be far from the healthy person they need to be for their body to function well. I know, I've been there, I know this concept is freely dismissed. T4 is basically a synthetic iodine, in order to make for a good conversion from t4 to t3 you need a combination of vitamins and minerals because without the right balance t4 can become reverse t3 because it lacks essential elements. When the t3 is in the reverse condition its like wiring up a three pin plug the opposite way round and the "power" which it should be providing unable to contribute anything. You need a medic who will need to know how much of your t3 is good and how much is reverse because total t3 really tells you nothing. You also need to know if you have autoimmunity, as in Hashimoto's thyroiditis also dismissed because general medicine considers iodine deficiency and autoimmunity can be treated in exactly the same way and it simply can't. Autoimmunity of any kind is a science in and of itself with so many facets. I'm not saying, having found a good doctor, all will be well in a month, I'm saying once you have the very best support for yourself, for you, you will start to feel a healthier person. This is my Promise.

There are several other websites on thyroid issues which will have the ability to express all the potential issues much better than myself in a rushed post. Look for "the hypothyroid mom". It may be her who defines over 200 possible symptoms most are often dismissed by general medics, they are simply not taught them in medical school. Check credentials, if you read someone's blog do more searches to see if this is accepted practice. You may also need to learn to be your own advocate. Thyroid issues can be simple but with your collection of symptoms its too much of a coincidence and makes your condition more interesting. Wishing you All the Very best, from the bottom of my heart.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Glad you are on the mend. Sounds like you’ve had a pretty long year.
    In terms of weight loss: CICO. Calories in vs calories out. Any way that works for you to do is the right way for you. I have a colleague who swears by intermittent fasting. He downloaded an app that tracks the “right” times to eat.
    In terms of muscle gain: add movement and resistance training.
    Wishing you all the best.
  • gooner2525
    gooner2525 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello, I was wondering if I could get some advice from a couple of people. I was in a motorcycle accident almost a year ago, and sustained a few injuries. After 2 months in the hospital, another month non-weight bearing, and then another operation six weeks ago to fuse my ankle, I have found myself with significant muscle loss and weight gain. With reduced metabolism, menopause, thyroid issues, insulin resistance, and weight gain as a side affect medication, I am finding it hard to lose weight. I have just been cleared to start weight bearing again, but slowly over the course of the next month. Aside from my ankle, I can move the rest of me.
    I am flirting with intermittent fasting, but am wondering if there is anyone that may be able to offer some advice that would hack into the stronghold my body seems to have on keeping and increasing this weight. At this point, it feels like a "my precious" kind of situation. Thank you in advance.

• gooner2525
    gooner2525 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Bless you. I hope you are feeling better. I fast and only eat between 2pm and 8pm and
    I think it makes a massive difference to my weight loss. I won't mention exercise because you will know what your body can cope with during your recovery. You may get hungry for a while but a couple of black coffee's doesn't spike my insulin levels and keeps hunger at bay. Good luck with everything.
  • Stellamom2018
    Stellamom2018 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    First, your body has been through a lot. Please follow your weight bearing precautions as the physician ordered, you can reverse so much internally if you try and push through when you shouldn't. Can you see a physical therapist? Access to a gym? Arm bike?

I would start with googling seated exercises, there are "sit and be fit" exercise programs, try there. Calories in vs calories out, it is not time specific. Do not cut calories too drastically, you need protein and carbs for energy and muscle growth.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    First, your body has been through a lot. Please follow your weight bearing precautions as the physician ordered, you can reverse so much internally if you try and push through when you shouldn't. Can you see a physical therapist? Access to a gym? Arm bike?
    If you aren't seeing a physical therapist or some other kind of physical trainer, maybe ask your doctor about it? Safe exercise is a great idea, even apart from weight management. You might also ask your doctor, physical therapist, etc. what specific exercises you can do. They might be able to suggest things that work for you, and that you like doing.

• jmgroberts468
    jmgroberts468 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you again everyone. I am seeing a physical therapist. Well, I will be in about another month when I am able to drive, and can get there again. He will fine tune exercises and walking again for me. I am anxious to resume life outside of this ankle business, but do realize that I need to appreciate what my body has been through, and not push the healing. I'm an old hen, not a spring chicken, but I am grateful I am still here.