Any other super small people out here?

Options
I'm 4'10" (147.32cm) with a small body frame. My wrist is only 5" (12.7cm) around. I felt totally left out when smart watches and fitbits became a thing. None of them go down to a size that would fit me. At least until I learned that they make them for children. There are several different brands, varying in price. I got a cheaper one just because I wasn't sure if it would work (I was worried about placement for skin contact on my tiny wrist) or if I would like it. It's a Biggerfive Vigor, and it seems to be working great. It does all the same stuff a regular fitness type watch does, it's just made for smaller wrists and the displays are cartoon-y. It also doesn't link with MFP, but I didn't really care about that. Fitbit and Garmin also make them for children if you want a brand-name one that will link up with MFP. Anyway, just thought I'd share my excitement about finally joining the smart watch gang.

Replies

• Redgirl55
    Redgirl55 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am one inch taller and I have similar issues with watches and other gear.
  • IllustriousBee
    IllustriousBee Posts: 70 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Redgirl55 wrote: »
    I am one inch taller and I have similar issues with watches and other gear.

I usually love being tiny, but finding things that fit is the ONE THING that drives me up the wall. I can't wear rings, bracelets, or watches without sizing them WAY down or getting kids' sizes. Which is why I was so excited to find these watches. Mine fits perfectly with 3 extra holes!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Same. My Garmin 920XT is massively huge on my wrist (especially with the quick release setup).
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm a giant here! 5 foot! Clothes are too long, too big, blah blah!
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Signing in as another 5ft giant!

Recently bought a Fitbit Luxe which fits a small wrist so much better than the Alta I used to have. There’s actually 2 spare holes on the strap and it picks up heart rate consistently which the Alta really didn’t because it was a bit too long for my wrist so never sat properly.

Even allegedly ‘Petite’ clothes are too long. Too long in length but also too long in shoulder to cleavage meaning that even tops don’t fit right unless I want to expose more than I feel comfortable with! 🙄

Have to keep a step stool handy in the kitchen at all times! On the plus side, I think I’m more limber than many women my age (60) due to the daily struggle and subsequent extreme stretching I do to reach stuff in kitchen cabinets! 😂
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'10" (147.32cm) with a small body frame. My wrist is only 5" (12.7cm) around. I felt totally left out when smart watches and fitbits became a thing. None of them go down to a size that would fit me. At least until I learned that they make them for children. There are several different brands, varying in price. I got a cheaper one just because I wasn't sure if it would work (I was worried about placement for skin contact on my tiny wrist) or if I would like it. It's a Biggerfive Vigor, and it seems to be working great. It does all the same stuff a regular fitness type watch does, it's just made for smaller wrists and the displays are cartoon-y. It also doesn't link with MFP, but I didn't really care about that. Fitbit and Garmin also make them for children if you want a brand-name one that will link up with MFP. Anyway, just thought I'd share my excitement about finally joining the smart watch gang.

I am tall. My roommate is very much not tall.
    Anyhow, I just wanted to say you can likely find someone on Etsy to make you a custom band for an Apple Watch.
    I do know you can get the end bits on Amazon.
    Anyhow. I just wanted to mention that. 💐
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    146cm here. Same problem with rings, bracelets ,clothes, etc. My wedding ring looks like a child could wear it.On the plus side,less material , so cheaper :smiley: I don't have a smart watch to monitor my daily activity,but i do have a running watch that i was thinking of replacing. All the straps are way too big for me, so i'm holding off at the moment until the one i have breaks down.
  • IllustriousBee
    IllustriousBee Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    @MargaretYakoda Thanks! I never even thought of getting straps made, which is funny because my SO actually does leather work and has made plenty of arm bands and stuff LOL.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I am a little taller at 5'3", but I can totally relate to the small bones issue! My wrist is 5.25" and my ring size is 4 on my ring finger. I once ordered a custom bracelet from a small business and the owner contacted me to verify I really wanted it *that* small! :lol: I also have a short torso and freakishly long legs, so even petite clothing doesn't fit me right.

Just a tip: a Fitbit is supposed to fit a little loosely, so it might work for you after all. I wear mine on the second to last hole.
  • Scotty2HotPie
    Scotty2HotPie Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hey!!! As a shorter guy myself... I'm thankful there's petite women out there!

Also, I'm also a glass half full guy too... I can't imagine having to fly in those tiny airplane seats if I was a taller, bigger guy... lol. It's already a little tight for me at 5'9'
  • Angelaloveschocolate
    Options
    I have similar problems, 5ft tall. I really struggle to find a decent sports bra with adequate adjustable straps. I prefer a crossover at the back as it helps take the stress off my shoulders. Any of you able to recommend a brand?
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    Options

I hear you! I ended up buying a Fitbit Inspire HR tracker (adult) and a Fitbit Ace 2 wristband (child) because I learned the two were compatible. Fitbit has launched Ace 3 in the mean time, so I don't know if the new ones are also compatible or not, though.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0" regular watch bands fit me okay, although I got a replacement band when my fitbit brand broke and it fits much better. It's leather too, so I could punch a new hole if I wanted. Honestly you can punch new holes in the rubber/silicone ones if you wanted to, it's not hard.

• ExistingFish
    Options
    I have similar problems, 5ft tall. I really struggle to find a decent sports bra with adequate adjustable straps. I prefer a crossover at the back as it helps take the stress off my shoulders. Any of you able to recommend a brand?

It's funny because my biggest complaint is I can't find a sports bra that DOESN'T have a cross or racerback, they put strain on my traps! I prefer regular straps. It's so hard to find.

My best fitting bra I got off Amazon, it's a 32 band (and I'm a 28 band, it runs small) and it's a racerback - I love it. Here is the link:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JGL8HLV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • ExistingFish
    Options
    Hey!!! As a shorter guy myself... I'm thankful there's petite women out there!

Also, I'm also a glass half full guy too... I can't imagine having to fly in those tiny airplane seats if I was a taller, bigger guy... lol. It's already a little tight for me at 5'9'

You aren't a shorter guy. You are average. Depending on where you live, In the US it's 5'9".

My dad is 5'6", that's short for a guy. :D
  • ExistingFish
    Options

Recently bought a Fitbit Luxe which fits a small wrist so much better than the Alta I used to have. There’s actually 2 spare holes on the strap and it picks up heart rate consistently which the Alta really didn’t because it was a bit too long for my wrist so never sat properly.

Even allegedly ‘Petite’ clothes are too long. Too long in length but also too long in shoulder to cleavage meaning that even tops don’t fit right unless I want to expose more than I feel comfortable with! 🙄

Have to keep a step stool handy in the kitchen at all times! On the plus side, I think I’m more limber than many women my age (60) due to the daily struggle and subsequent extreme stretching I do to reach stuff in kitchen cabinets! 😂

I recently started shopping in children's clothes, it's been fantastic. They fit well, are made for comfort and ease of movement, they have huge pockets, and the length is perfect without hemming. I'm a 14 plus in pants.

Petite clothes are designed for between 5'3" and 5'4" women. Which is, in fact AVERAGE height for women. So "petite" are made for average women, that means both "regular" and "tall" are made for the top < 50% of women. Kinda strange, right? And nothing is made for truly petite people (meaning those below average).
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options

I recently started shopping in children's clothes, it's been fantastic. They fit well, are made for comfort and ease of movement, they have huge pockets, and the length is perfect without hemming. I'm a 14 plus in pants.

Petite clothes are designed for between 5'3" and 5'4" women. Which is, in fact AVERAGE height for women. So "petite" are made for average women, that means both "regular" and "tall" are made for the top < 50% of women. Kinda strange, right? And nothing is made for truly petite people (meaning those below average).

I used to shop in children’s sections when I was younger, especially for skirts, trousers etc (larger bust made tops a bit more hit and miss for fit). But I was in my 30’s then so the styles were ok, but now, having just turned 60 I’m not sure how that would work out. Whilst I like to still look ‘current’ in terms of fashion I have a healthy fear of the ‘mutton dressed as lamb’ scenario!

Maybe I’ll have a look though!

Currently searching for a ‘Mother of the Bride’ dress which is all manner of headaches! Don’t think I’ll find a solution to that in the children’s section though! 😂
  • ExistingFish
    Options

I used to shop in children’s sections when I was younger, especially for skirts, trousers etc (larger bust made tops a bit more hit and miss for fit). But I was in my 30’s then so the styles were ok, but now, having just turned 60 I’m not sure how that would work out. Whilst I like to still look ‘current’ in terms of fashion I have a healthy fear of the ‘mutton dressed as lamb’ scenario!

Maybe I’ll have a look though!

Currently searching for a ‘Mother of the Bride’ dress which is all manner of headaches! Don’t think I’ll find a solution to that in the children’s section though! 😂

Yeah I have mostly bought basics, solid dress pants, casual dresses, etc.

Avoid the Junior's department - it looks horribly "trendy". Children's has a lot of smaller versions of adult clothes. I am not sure about mother-of-the-bride dresses!
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I am barely 5’0” but don’t have tiny fingers or wrists. My hands and feet are larger than some friends of mine who are several inches taller. I often buy petite clothing or have things altered though.