5'6 girls, whats your size and weight?

1235»

Replies

• OnceAndFutureAthlete
    OnceAndFutureAthlete Posts: 192 Member
    5'5 and 246.8 wear US 18 in pants and L/XL in pants. Oddly enough, when I weighed this much 6 years ago I wore 22/24.

There has definitely been a shift downward in sizes for the same size garments over the years. I am old and have been all kinds of weights over the years, but have a pair of trousers from the '70s that are labeled as "8" (US) that were my "goal" pants for years (decades!), that would definitely be a 6 or maybe a 4 now.

If you buy or wear true vintage, you will definitely know that size numbers have gone down for the same size garment: I have some items from a great aunt from as far back as the 40s, and they are what I would consider TINY but labeled "8" or "6" (she was 5'0" and proportional).

Even in more recent decades, I've noticed that the vanity sizes continue to creep down.

FTR, I am now 234# and still wearing the same 18/XXL or 2X I wore at 278#. :(
    I'm hoping this changes soon - I have lots of smaller sizes in my closet.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    5'5 and 246.8 wear US 18 in pants and L/XL in pants. Oddly enough, when I weighed this much 6 years ago I wore 22/24.

There has definitely been a shift downward in sizes for the same size garments over the years. I am old and have been all kinds of weights over the years, but have a pair of trousers from the '70s that are labeled as "8" (US) that were my "goal" pants for years (decades!), that would definitely be a 6 or maybe a 4 now.

If you buy or wear true vintage, you will definitely know that size numbers have gone down for the same size garment: I have some items from a great aunt from as far back as the 40s, and they are what I would consider TINY but labeled "8" or "6" (she was 5'0" and proportional).

Even in more recent decades, I've noticed that the vanity sizes continue to creep down.

This is a lot of it. In true vintage (early 80s) jeans, I'm a 10. or a 9 which seems to no longer exist in most places.

In modern jeans I'm often about a 4-6. Sometimes still an 8 or 10 though. Somewhat depends on the brand. Because even with vanity sizing the vanity sizing isn't consistent.
  • TinaLeigh67
    TinaLeigh67 Posts: 669 Member
    This is a lot of it. In true vintage (early 80s) jeans, I'm a 10. or a 9 which seems to no longer exist in most places.

In modern jeans I'm often about a 4-6. Sometimes still an 8 or 10 though. Somewhat depends on the brand. Because even with vanity sizing the vanity sizing isn't consistent.

9's are in the juniors department. I am currently wearing a pair. They are still out there :)
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    langstontl wrote: »

9's are in the juniors department. I am currently wearing a pair. They are still out there :)

well now I know where they're hiding! Thank you!
  • asonbrody
    asonbrody Posts: 6 Member
    5'6", 150 lbs, I'm either a 4/6 in jeans, usually a small in (junior) dresses, and a medium in tops.
  • dviolin1982
    dviolin1982 Posts: 17 Member
    5'5", 225. size 2X plus top, L bottom. My breast size is unhumanly huge though.
  • Lhenderson923
    Lhenderson923 Posts: 102 Member
    5’6” and 145lbs. I wear size 6-8 pants, and medium tops, though some smalls fit too.
  • OnceAndFutureAthlete
    OnceAndFutureAthlete Posts: 192 Member

Manufacturers/designers actually had to create sizes 0 and then 00 for the smallest sizes because 2s and 4s had gotten bigger.