Hi, Newly diagnosed T2 Diabetic

I fired my old GP in April.
The new doc ordered a LOT of tests in May.
I've had my hearing checked, mammogram done, bone density (not perfect), moles removed, BP monitor ordered, echo cardiogram, and lots of blood work.
Bottom line, my BP and cholesterol meds have been increased, I now have a cardiologist and will soon have a PA for the diabetes.
My family history is overwhelming. All of my immediate family members were diagnosed with diabetes in their 40s. I think I was fortunate to make it to 61, but perhaps this happened sooner than that. Nothing can be done about that now, so rocking forward.
I am using this as a pivot point in my life.
I am determined to grab my future well-being by the proverbial horns!
I have been walking between 7,500 and 10K steps per day.
Upgraded my gym membership and haven't touched anything with refined sugar in it, since my diagnoses. I am taking metformin and increasing the dosage week by week. This is the first day of week 2.
I have already lost a bit of weight and am excited to see my A1c (first one says 7.7) go down, etc.
Peace!

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,248 Member
    edited August 2021
    Congratulations for firing that GP!

I am also a relatively newly diagnosed T2D. With a horrific doctor story.

There’s a T2D group here. Come join us!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,914 Member
    I was diagnosed with T2D back in 2019 when I was hospitalized for the flu/pneumonia.... on insulin and medication ....fast forward to today I am happy to say I am no longer on any meds for T2D and I am now considered pre-diabetic ...my BS #'s went from 300's to 104-108 my last a1c was 6.1 I have labs this month so I am excited to know what my a1c is

Wishing you the very best :)
  • SheDiabetic2
    SheDiabetic2 Posts: 13 Member
    That is awesome Megan!! I have an appointment with my doctor in two more weeks and I am praying for the same results so that I can get off of diabetes medication.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,914 Member
    That is awesome Megan!! I have an appointment with my doctor in two more weeks and I am praying for the same results so that I can get off of diabetes medication.

Thanks ...Good luck with your appointment :)