Taking an ibuprofen/tylenol when having a headache?

Options
I often have headaches at least a couple of times a week and almost one severe migraine per month. But when I ask most people in my entourage they say they don't take any pills when they do have headaches, it seems I am the exception as I always take 3 advil pills at the minimum.

What are postitive and negatives for taking medication for headaches and for the people who don't use them, do you just tolerate the pain for potentially hours?

Replies

• yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I use them because I've had headaches since I was a pre teen and I'm 51 now. Good for them, their headaches must not be that bad I guess (not being mean but some people don't understand unless they experience it) but I've had some bad enough (migraines) that sent me to the ER crying so I'm not going to make myself suffer and these pain relievers are what all the doctors recommend and they work 99 percent of the time for me. When I went to the ER once it had been a couple hours and the meds hadn't worked until they gave me more Tylenol and I finally had relief, but sometimes people need stronger meds for these headaches, hopefully you don't.

I sometimes try and wait a headache out without taking pills by laying down if I can, my life is generally to busy to do so especially if it's day time, but if it last to long for me I have to medicate. I also use ibuprofen or any over the counter med that says migraine relief and some of those include caffeine.

I'm not sure of the negatives. You can Google them or read the packaging they come in. But the positives is feeling better and being able to get through my day and do my job and take care of family who can't take care of themselves.

I would also pay attention to your dietary to make sure it's not a food, drink or salt causing your headaches or your blood pressure, have you seen your doctor regarding these headaches?

Hope you feel better and find what works for you.🙃🤗🤕
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I've also had chronic headaches since childhood, it may be hereditary or something. For some reasons Ibuprofen works very well for me but not Tylenol, I notice Tylenol doesn't do anything for me.

Why I don't wait until it goes away is because often times it gets worse, i'd say most of the time. So as soon as I feel like a headache is coming I take some advils. Because sometimes it can be a migraine.

Seeing a doctor right now is very difficult, because of Covid waiting times are extremely long and it may not even be possible to see my family doctor for months.

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,381 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I am fortunate and rarely get headaches.
    My body is an utter train wreck in almost every other department. 😂

If we (my partner or myself) do happen to get a headache we go through a kind of checklist.
    1) Have we caffeinated?
    2) Drink a big glass of water.
    3) Have we eaten? Especially a bit of protein?
    4) Try a hot shower on the neck.
    5) Nap if possible.

If we still have a headache after that checklist, then we take a Tylenol or aspirin or maybe ibuprofen, and assume we’re ill. Because by that point, if nothing else worked, we probably are.

Having headaches that often isn’t typical.
    Do they start in the morning? And do you snore? Even a little bit? Because headaches can be a sign of sleep apnea. Which can be helped with a CPAP.
  • Mellouk89
    edited August 2021
    Options

Having headaches that often isn’t typical.
    Do they start in the morning? And do you snore? Even a little bit? Because headaches can be a sign of sleep apnea. Which can be helped with a CPAP.

I had a headache last night, and for absolutely no reason. It was sunday, the least stressful day of the week. I had a slight headache and the thought of having a headache made it a lot worse :D .

I did hear about advils causing chronic headaches, I will try that. I did it at one time and it worked.
    I think next time I have a headache i'll try to resolve it another way.

But I also think i'm prone to headaches, maybe genetic reasons.
  • Mellouk89
    edited August 2021
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Is there an advice nurse you can talk to?

Yes my aunt is a retired nurse, she's one of the very few people I know who take medication for headaches, or pretty much anything :D .
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    As others have said, I am wary of them losing their efficacy over time, so when I do take them, I start at small doses and only increase if I have to. Acetaminophen only works to take the edge off - if I'm really ill with a fever, I'll take it in between doses of ibuprofen so I can make it until it's time for the next dose.

I have taken higher than the labeled maximum dose on the bottle for a few days post childbirth for labor afterpains - but it's the recommended dose by my midwife and is safe for that amount of time. And then I definitely need every milligram!
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    i take meds only when i really can't handle the pain because i know they lose their effectiveness if you use them often and then you need more and more. I get migraines every now and then,and take one paracetamol pill of 500mg before i go to bed if it occurs in the evening,cause otherwise i will wake up in the middle of the night still in pain.Paracetamol is the lightest type of pill one can take and it's pretty much the only thing i've used my entire life for headaches,fevers, or period pains.
  • Skyler103
    Skyler103 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I also take imitrex for migraines. It's a miracle drug and has changed my life! I used to have debilitating headaches, usually once a month associated with hormones.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    Excedrin migraine..

I get nauseated when I get headaches.🤢
  • truGAINS
    truGAINS Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Goody's powder
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    When I get a headache, I take an Advil or a Tylenol. I find they help.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I get barometric pressure related migraines (tracked them for quite some time until I found the pattern/trend). I find if I take some Tylenol as soon as it starts, I can at least keep the pain and nausea at bay or tolerable (light sensitivity and generally feeling like poo still seems to happen). It is enough to at least allow me to keep on working or get through my day.

Since I often can't tell early on if it's going to be a migraine or "just" a headache, I tend to take Tylenol regardless. Thankfully I'm not particularly prone to regular headaches, so I can often go weeks without ever taking anything.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,437 Member
    Options
    I too have headaches/migraines ...In fact I have been dealing with them for the past 3 weeks .. I take Bayer and sleep ...
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Mellouk89 wrote: »
    I've also had chronic headaches since childhood, it may be hereditary or something. For some reasons Ibuprofen works very well for me but not Tylenol, I notice Tylenol doesn't do anything for me.

Why I don't wait until it goes away is because often times it gets worse, i'd say most of the time. So as soon as I feel like a headache is coming I take some advils. Because sometimes it can be a migraine.

Seeing a doctor right now is very difficult, because of Covid waiting times are extremely long and it may not even be possible to see my family doctor for months.

Oh I understand, I really shoulda said what I meant was a phone or video appointment with the doctor, because alot of them are doing that if not an advice nurse. That's most of my care and for my mom video or phone for quiet a while now. Some doctors are seeing their patients just depends on the circumstances.

And per my headaches/migraines I don't have them like I used to I can go weeks or even a few months without one, but when it comes it feels like something trying to kill me. Thats why the last one sent me to the ER in tears, yours are happening so often you should at least speak with a medical professional over the phone.

Best of care.