SOUP RECIPES WANTED

Options

Replies

• phocid
    phocid Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My hands down favorite soup recipe is Ina Garten's Roasted Fall Vegetable Soup. You can find the original version here: http://www.barefootcontessa.com/recipes.aspx?RecipeID=234&S=0

My favorite part is roasting the vegetables. The kitchen smells amazing!

I use an immersion hand blender to mix it all up right on the stove top in the pot rather than batch dumping into a food processor. This is seriously one of the best soups you will ever make.
  • BifDiehl
    Options
    bumping for fall!
  • jklm
    jklm Posts: 281
    Options
    bump
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    http://www.howsweeteats.com/2010/09/moroccan-vegetable-stew/

It's a stew but I've been meaning to try making it. It looks SO good, and seems like it'd be good for fall.
  • lenwie
    lenwie Posts: 240
    Options
    Cauliflower Soup

Cauliflower - Raw, 1 head, medium to large
    Semi Skimmed Milk, 500 ml
    Glass Tap Water, 2 glass
    Cornflour, 15 g
    Cumin seed, 1 tsp or to taste
    Knorr - the Chicken Stock Cube (Uk), 2 cube

Break up cauliflower into small pieces cook in the stock/water/cumin, when cooked/soft add the milk holding a little back to mix with the cornflour/starch, now blend the cauliflower mixture, you may find that it is thick enough without having to add the cornflour to thicken, it will also help if you do add to stabilise the soup as sometimes the cauliflower and water can seperate.

Delish soup especially with onion baguette

Per Serving: cals128 carbs19 Fibre4 Protein7 Fat4 sat fat2

You dont need to add any salt as enough in the stock cubes, but you may want to add onion powder/granules to taste, I live loads of black pepper added just before sitting down to eat it yummy
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    bump for later....and I will add my favs when I have time tomorrow!!!
  • claudiandw
    claudiandw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    ENCHILADA SOUP

2TBS. Vegetable Oil(or I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
    1/2C. Chopped Onion
    1/2C. Chopped Green Pepper
    1TBS. Minced Garlic
    1)14oz. Can of Vegetable Broth
    2)14oz. Cans Mild Red Enchilada Sauce
    1) 4.5oz Can Diced Green Chiles(I use 2 cans)
    1) 14oz. Can Diced Mexican Style Tomatoes
    15oz. Can Black Beans(Undrained)
    2C. Canned White Hominy(Drained)
    2TBS. Taco Seasoning Mix

Sautee Onion, Green Pepper and Garlic for 2-3 Minutes or until onions are transparent
    Pour in all ingredients and bring to boil. Lower heat to low/medium heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
    Garnish with Tortilla Chips, Shredded Cheese and Sour Cream.
    Enjoy!

Black Bean Soup
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 8 • Serving Size: about 1-1/2 cups • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 5 pts
    Calories: 234.4 • Fat: 2.6 g • Protein: 13.6 g • Carb: 40.1 g • Fiber: 19.6 g
    For the beans:
    1 lb dry black beans
    1 small bell red pepper
    1 small onion, quartered
    2 cloves garlic
    3 bay leaves
    For the soup:
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 large onion, minced
    1/2 cup chopped parsley
    1 red pepper, minced
    2 medium carrots, shredded
    5 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tbsp red wine vinegar
    1/4 (2 oz) cup white wine
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp oregano
    1 chicken bullion (vegans use vegetable bullion)
    salt and black pepper

Rinse beans and place in a large pot with about 8 cups of water. Cover and bring to a boil, then remove from heat and let the beans sit, covered for one hour. (Or you can let them soak overnight in cold water)

Drain the water, then add 8-10 cups of cold water when ready to cook.

Add bell pepper, garlic, onion and bay leaves to the beans. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about an hour, or until tender, stirring occasionally. (Add water if necessary)

Meanwhile, in a large frying pan, heat oil on low. Add chopped vegetables (onion, parsley, carrots, pepper, garlic) season with salt and pepper and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until soft.

Add the vegetables to the soup, then add wine, vinegar, cumin, oregano, bullion, salt and pepper and adjust water if too needed. Cover and simmer on low about 15 - 20 minutes. Remove bay leaves, then using an immersion blender, partially blend the soup for about 10 seconds to thicken. If you don't have an immersion blender, put about 3 cups of the soup in a blender, then add it back to the pot. Adjust salt, pepper and cumin to taste and ladle about 1 1/2 cups into each bowl. Top with sour cream (extra points), chopped onions, scallions, chives or/or cilantro and enjoy!

TERRIFIC TACO SOUP
    Ingredients
    1 pound of ground beef
    1 small onion, minced
    1 small can green chiles, chopped
    1 can stewed tomatoes
    1 can Rotel (Mexican tomatoes)
    1 can ranch style beans or chili beans
    1 can whole kernel corn
    1 ½ cups water
    1 pkg. ranch dressing mix
    1 pkg. taco seasoning mix

Brown beef, onion and chiles. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer 20 minutes. Great with cornbread or with tortilla chips and grated cheddar cheese.

CHILI SOUP

Ingredients:
    1 1/2 lbs. Lean ground beef
    1 med. Onion , chopped
    3 (10 3/4 oz.) cans Campbell’s condensed minestrone soup
    1 ( 14 1/2 oz.) can stewed tomatoes
    1 ( 10 oz.) can Rotell tomatoes
    1 ( 15 1/2 oz.) can chili beans

3 soup cans of water
    Brown together ground beef and chopped onions. Drain thoroughly. Add remaining ingredients. Mix together. Simmer for 10 minutes.

Serves 16 Serving size 1 cup
    Calories; 153, Protein: 10 gm., Fiber: 3 gm, Sodium: 64 mg, Fat: 6 gm,
    Carbo: 11 gm, Chol: 26 mg
    This freezes well in single portions or larger if you like.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    What a great thread! I have some to add but will have to go back and see if they've already been listed.
  • Frances_C17
    Frances_C17 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My favourite is good old lentil soup, so easy to make and healthy (and cheap!). I'm vegetarian so I keep the soup simple but my mum cooks it with a big chunk of ham to add some flavour.

Classic Lentil Soup - Serves 8

250g red lentils
    1 large leek - chopped
    800g carrots - grated or diced if you prefer it chunky
    1 veg or ham stock cube
    Fresh parsley - chopped
    Big chunk of ham - optional

1. Fill large pot with approx 2 litres of water and add stock cube
    2. Rinse lentils and boil in stock for 10 mins (add ham at this stage if you are using it but cook for a further 10 mins)
    3. Add leeks and carrots and top up with water if needed, leave to simmer for 20mins stirring occasionally
    4. Add fresh parsley and season to taste
    5. If using the ham chop it up and mix through

Sorry the measurements aren't exact but I've been making this soup for years so tend to just chuck stuff in. If made without the ham it comes in at about 146c per serving. Serve with some crusty wholemeal bread for a healthy dinner.
    Good thing about this soup is it freezes really well so I make loads then portion it into the freezer.
    It's easy to experiment with this recipe too; try adding come celery, onion or potato to suit your tastes.
  • krborer
    krborer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Mine is not a specific recipe, but rather a starting point for one...
    I like to make chicken stock/soup from the rotisserie chickens at the grocery store. I pull off most of the meat and all of the skin before I boil down the carcass. Once it's cooked for a while, I pour the liquid through a colander to get rid of the chunks, and then skim off the fat. I either freeze the stock at that point, or add spices and veggies and make soup. You can go in so many directions with the soup: add cumin,cilantro, corn and beans to make a tex-mex chicken soup; add tomatoes, italian seasoning and top off with some shredded mozzerella to make a chicken parm soup--the possibilities are endless!
  • slicksps
    Options
    I had a carrot and coriander soup yesterday, I have a sweet tooth so it absolutely fits the bill.

Serves 2:
    4 chopped carrots in a pan with enough water to cover.
    1 chopped onion
    A good dose of coriander leaves
    Vegetable stock cube
    Chili powder to taste (I like a lot, but is entirely optional)

Boil all together, purée and season to taste.

I worked it out at less than 100cal per bowl.
  • gianna42
    gianna42 Posts: 5,991 Member
    Options
    bump - love soup:)
  • cali_co
    Options
    Bump - Yummy!!!
  • Monkeylost
    Monkeylost Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I've started soup this week too I've done two here they are

Carrot and Corriander serves 4. 88 cals per serving

450g Carrots
    1 Onion
    1 Teaspoon of Ground Corriander
    Hand full of fresh corriander chopped
    2 piants of water 1 1/2 low salt stock cubes

Take 2 tbs of the water and put in pan with the onion and fry for 3 mins, add ground corriander fry for a further 1 min. Add chopped carrot the remaining water and stock cubes. Boil till the veg is cooked. Cool and blend till smooth with fresh corriander. Re heat to serve of freeze in portions

Cauliflower Soup serves 4 118 cals per portion

Low fay spray
    800g Cauliflower
    1 onion
    1 clove of garlic chopped
    1 teaspoon of cumin
    1 teaspoon of ground corriander
    1 1/2 piants of water
    1 1/2 low salt stock cubes
    200ml semi-skimmed milk

Spray the low fat spray in the pan and fry the onion and chopped garlic for 3 mins, add the cumin and ground corriander and fry for a further 1 minute. Add the Cauliflower, water, stockcube and milk boil till the veg is cooked. Cool and blend till smooth. Reheat or freeze in portions.
  • SunShineMom2402
    Options
    Love low cal soup recipes! Thanks for starting this thread :)
  • redpope
    redpope Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sounds good! Thanks!
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Chicken, Shiitake and Wild Rice Soup
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes

Servings: 6 • Size: 1-1/2 cups • Old Points: 5 pts • Points+: 6 pts
    Calories: 237.6 • Fat: 4.3 g • Protein: 14 g • Carb: 35.4 g • Fiber: 1.7 g

1 tbsp butter
    1 small onion
    1 tbsp flour
    8 cups (64 oz) fat free low sodium chicken broth
    1 cups water
    2 chopped carrots
    3 garlic cloves
    2 celery stalks
    4 skinless chicken thighs
    4.5 oz long grain rice and wild rice combo (I used Carolina)
    1/2 cup long grain white rice
    4 oz. shiitake mushrooms, sliced
    2 tbsp light sour cream (vegans can use vegan sour cream or leave it out)
    salt and fresh pepper

Melt butter in a large pot on medium heat, add onion and saute until soft nut not browned, about 3-4 minutes. Add flour and saute another minute.

Add chicken broth, water, carrots, garlic, celery, and chicken thighs, cover and simmer 20 minutes. Add wild rice mix along with it's seasoning, long grain rice, mushrooms, salt and pepper to taste and simmer on low, covered 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Remove chicken from pot and shred with two forks, return to pot, add sour cream and more water if too thick, adjust salt and pepper to taste and serve.
  • hazieo
    hazieo Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    These sound lovely. It's definitely soup-time here in Ireland :)
  • tlzidon
    tlzidon Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Bump, especially since it is getting cooler out now. Now if only my co-worker would bring back our Soup, Salad, Bread, and Dessert lunches. People would sign up to bring in one of those courses, enough for everyone who participated so we all got to try out new recipes.
  • Charbaby48
    Options
    BUMP