Eating back exercise calories?

Options
13»

Replies

• wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    So, if your mental state is defined by someone else as a "panic" mode, your act of exercising to eat is unhealthy, but if you do it deliberately it is healthy?

Wow.
  • wilson10102018
    Options
    Just for the record, it seems to me that engaging in exercise to facilitate eating more calories than those desired or required in order to achieve the maintenance or loss of weight is an unhealthy mindset whether you know it or deny it.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    Just for the record, it seems to me that engaging in exercise to facilitate eating more calories than those desired or required in order to achieve the maintenance or loss of weight is an unhealthy mindset whether you know it or deny it.

Look at it this way. What's your tdee?

Mine is MAYBE 1300...1400 for maintenance if I'm lucky. This is without exercise. Food is good and I DESIRE and REQUIRE more. Hell if I'm gonna torture myself eating that little when I can be averaging 2,000 cal a day and not gain weight.
  • wilson10102018
    Options
    That makes you a female 100 pounds more or less.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

When I was a machine operator running around a machine all day or a full time yoga teacher I got more calories by virtue of my job. What's unhealthy about a person with a desk job getting those calories back via exercise?
  • kshama2001
    Options
    So, if your mental state is defined by someone else as a "panic" mode, your act of exercising to eat is unhealthy, but if you do it deliberately it is healthy?

Wow.
    Well, yeah, what defines a “healthy mindset” (your choice of words) is your mental state, not sure what the alternative would be there!

3l08y5zk5a7y.png
  • kshama2001
    Options
    For those interested in the tangent this took, there is now a related thread in Debate: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10839925/eat-to-exercise-or-exercise-to-eat-which-describes-you
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    As a non-jogger, I am fine to not have the injuries that send the average jogger to the doctor or missed work 2 times per year, and I get no Schadenfreude from my contemporaries who are almost universally getting knee and hip replacements. But those who think that the issue is settled are just deluded. As a libertarian, I welcome persons making their own decisions to do things which give them satisfaction even when they are not sensible in the public health context. Exercise to achieving cardio improvement levels is helpful for cardio recovery patients. An exercise bike or a treadmill is probably the safest, least destructive way to accomplish that. But, that is about it.

You’re going on bad data here. I said this before but will repeat it as often as you repeat your falsehood: multiple large long-term studies show that knee replacements and osteoarthritis are LOWER IN LONG TERM RUNNERS than in people who have never run. Same for hip replacements. The myth that running wears out your knees is just that, a myth.

I would rather not ever be a cardio recovery patient. The best way to avoid that is daily activity.

Not gonna search for studies since you literally can’t read the news ten seconds without tripping over a new study demonstrating the benefits of exercise. Read one yesterday which found that intense exercise and HIIT increases the length of telomeres which aid in repairing cellular structures, and one just a couple days ago about the benefits of strength training in preventing osteoporosis in post-menopausal women. That you are arguing something which is, in fact, settled within the scientific community, to me says either that you enjoy being a contrarian or that you have a dog in this fight. So, just so you know, I don’t personally care if you yourself are a sponge soaking up the UV rays from your monitor, but you shouldn’t repeat bad info.

Having watched my father recover from a triple bypass (in which excess weight and low activity were factors), I'd much rather face the injuries associated with an active lifestyle (especially since, as you point out, we don't have a higher rate of knee and hip replacements). I used to live in Tucson, where I had the ability to associate with many older people who had been running for decades.

None of us can guarantee our futures, but when I look at the quality of life of the bulk of older active people versus the bulk of older people who chose less active lifestyles, I know what I want for myself as I age.

• Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Do you eat back your exercise calories? Why/why not?

There are probably thousands of threads on this but I couldn't find them.

For me, rn, I'm not. I usually burn (it's all an approximation anyway) 400 extra. Eating 1400 rn, without adding those back.

Thanks! <3

@cheshirechic - I don’t force myself to eat back exercise calories, especially if I’m not hungry.
    If I’m really desiring more food.. sure I’ll eat em.. but most of the time I only eat back a portion or not at all.
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Ohhh wow ty for all of these responses!!