Getting fit at 50 and beyond...200+ pound club

Replies

• jm216
    jm216 Posts: 3,734 Member
    zagadee wrote: »
    Hello Beautiful people 😃
    Am new here trying to find a partner who we can support each other on this journey I need motivation I have been on this journey for all my life am 50yrs now hope anyone can understand.
    We can motivate, support, encourage, advise each other I stay in Georgia Augusta.but still we find ways to uplift ourselves throughout
    Thanks

Welcome Zagadee!
    This is a great group of like- minded friends. We’re glad you’re here.

Jill ❤️
  • jm216
    ello Friends,

This year so far has not been what I’d hoped for in regard to weight loss…
    28zitxeqlvqs.jpeg

I’ve only been half focused on it. But it’s time to get logging, eating, and exercising back in sync for my physical and mental well being.

Jill ❤️
  • aqua14lisa
    aqua14lisa Posts: 35 Member
    edited August 2021
    Hello again, it's been a while since June 8th when I was last here. Have continued to log foods, watching what I'm eating, eating back some of my exercise calories, increased protein a bit and increased walking distance and speed. It's quite flat here but by starting to walk 2 nearby hills, have made some progress reaching 203. Onederland, here I come!!
  • jm216
    aqua14lisa wrote: »
    Hello again, it's been a while since June 8th when I was last here. Have continued to log foods, watching what I'm eating, eating back some of my exercise calories, increased protein a bit and increased walking distance and speed. It's quite flat here but by starting to walk 2 nearby hills, have made some progress reaching 203. Onederland, here I come!!

Very inspirational! I’m so proud of you and your accomplishments. ❤️🌼
  • jm216
    carolpa1 wrote: »
    Hello everyone. I have been a member for years but haven't been active in the message boards. I'm 75, well over 50+ with many health problems, most connected to my obesity.

My highest weight was 217 in 2008. It has taken 13 years to lose 27 lbs or so, but I've never regained. I am now determined to drop an additional 50 lbs by this time next year. How is it different now? I'm really sick of spinning my wheels, gaining and losing the same 5 lbs over and over. I can do this!

Love your determination! I grew up in Greensburg, PA and graduated from Slippery Rock University. 🥰🌼
  • carolpa1
    carolpa1 Posts: 72 Member
    [quote="jm216;

Love your determination! I grew up in Greensburg, PA and graduated from Slippery Rock University. 🥰🌼[/quote]

40 years living in Irwin, 20 minutes from Greensburg!

• jm216
    carolpa1 wrote: »
    [quote="jm216;

Love your determination! I grew up in Greensburg, PA and graduated from Slippery Rock University. 🥰🌼

40 years living in Irwin, 20 minutes from Greensburg!

We were neighbors for 18 years.

• jm216

Logged everything yesterday, stayed under calories, & exercised for 30 minutes… today I could sleep for another 3 hours!
  • jm216
    Had another good day of logging, exercise, and staying in my calorie goal. Stepping on the scale in the morning is my inspiration to move and make better decisions.
  • aqua14lisa
    aqua14lisa Posts: 35 Member
    jm216 wrote: »
    Had another good day of logging, exercise, and staying in my calorie goal. Stepping on the scale in the morning is my inspiration to move and make better decisions.
    Happy for you - great that better choices make better decisions and produce more inspiration. Had been getting very disheartened with a plateau last month, kept with the walking, good food choices and logging of same and BAM!! Blasted through the plateau and very close to Onederland today at 201!!
  • jm216
    aqua14lisa wrote: »
    jm216 wrote: »
    Happy for you - great that better choices make better decisions and produce more inspiration. Had been getting very disheartened with a plateau last month, kept with the walking, good food choices and logging of same and BAM!! Blasted through the plateau and very close to Onederland today at 201!!

I am so proud of you!!!
  • jm216
    Happy Friday!
  • jm216
    q2po4bqjpg8b.jpeg

Today is my day to stop the creep back… I’m totally over it. I have success when I log, so here we go!

Jill ☀️
  • patriciafoley1
    patriciafoley1 Posts: 137 Member
    This is my first time on MFP, and I am thinking the combination of activity calorie burned tracker (fitbit is what I'm using) and calorie logging is working for me so far. My sister tried to get me to join WW with her, but I've been to Diet workshop and WW in the past and I didn't think it would work for me, though it had worked in the past. But I didn't think it could work anymore for me. Too much food/product pushing and all those pictures of food on the website, with "you can eat this" and the "free" foods list - I don't think any food is free. I'm not saying WW doesn't work for a lot of people, but I thought it would not work for me, so I looked for something simple, calorie counting wise, and so far MFP with fitbit posting calories burned seems to be working for me. Not that I can recommend my fitbit, it is an inspire 2, and so buggy I'm sure at times it's raised my BP trying to get it to work. When it dies or breaks I'll look for something less buggy. But I'm happy I found MFP. It was just what I needed and I never thought I could lose weight again.

SW 6/1/21 212

8/1 189.8
    8/6 186.8
    8/7 186.4
    8/8 185.4
    8/21 184.6 Finally after ten days of plateau, had a small loss
    8/23 182.6 And finally the big loss after two weeks of plateau

total weight loss since 8/1 7.2
    total weight loss since 6/1 29.4

I might make 180 by the end of the month after all.....
  • azalea4175
    azalea4175 Posts: 290 Member

great job!! you are doing the right things, not too fast so it's unsustainable.

• jm216
    This is my first time on MFP, and I am thinking the combination of activity calorie burned tracker (fitbit is what I'm using) and calorie logging is working for me so far. My sister tried to get me to join WW with her, but I've been to Diet workshop and WW in the past and I didn't think it would work for me, though it had worked in the past. But I didn't think it could work anymore for me. Too much food/product pushing and all those pictures of food on the website, with "you can eat this" and the "free" foods list - I don't think any food is free. I'm not saying WW doesn't work for a lot of people, but I thought it would not work for me, so I looked for something simple, calorie counting wise, and so far MFP with fitbit posting calories burned seems to be working for me. Not that I can recommend my fitbit, it is an inspire 2, and so buggy I'm sure at times it's raised my BP trying to get it to work. When it dies or breaks I'll look for something less buggy. But I'm happy I found MFP. It was just what I needed and I never thought I could lose weight again.

SW 6/1/21 212

8/1 189.8
    8/6 186.8
    8/7 186.4
    8/8 185.4

total weight loss since 8/1 7.2
    total weight loss since 6/1 29.4

I might make 180 by the end of the month after all.....

Hi Patricia,

I agree with Azale4175,

Slow and steady is the best way to go. I did weight watchers back in the 90’s pre- kids and went from 185 to 155. … through walking and eating better… I still had a hard time logging mostly because I fought the POINTS system. It was a great success, but when I stopped going and didn’t do maintenance the weight crept back on. Back then I had youth and metabolism on my side.

I’ve had great success through MFP… for free…when I log and get in the right mindset.
    Working on those both now. ❤️

Jill
  • jm216
    Listen to this Llama… he is very wise.
  • patriciafoley1
    SW 6/1/21 212

8/1 189.8
    8/6 186.8
    8/7 186.4
    8/8 185.4
    8/27 181.6

total weight loss since 8/1 8.2
    total weight loss since 6/1 30.4

Had hoped to lose 10 pounds this month, but probably won't make it, but close. Still hope to make 150 by Jan 1 2022 and 135 by June 1 2022.
  • patriciafoley1
    Re slow and steady, I appreciate the advice. I set up MFP to lose two pounds a week, which used to be what WW recommended 1-2 lbs a week. I don't know what they recommend now. I always walk the dog every day, 1 to 3 times, usually around 2, so I'm not exercising all that much more than before. I just stopped snacking and overeating and switched to healthier foods. I'm trying to keep my calorie limit to what MFP recommended, which was around 1200. Some days I am hungry and eat more, other days a little less. I weigh and measure but I know that isn't ever exact so I try to leave a cushion, esp on non hungry days. I still don't quite believe that I can lose weight, after a long time when I couldn't seem to. I hardly believe it is working now. If it is. But I am fitting in size 16 jeans now, so I guess something is working.

I sympathize with those that quit WW because it was too expensive. My sister just quit because they raised their prices too high for her, and she wasn't losing. It wasn't working for her. She was on the purple plan with the free foods. I didn't think that would for me, because I worried I'd just eat too many of the free foods, and to call a food free just seemed like a tactic that I suspected would not work. sort of magical thinking. I preferred something less iffy, more controllable, like calorie counting. The WW packaged meals are very convenient, but I think they due to being processed, have a lot of salt (and I needed to be sodium controlled) and I wasn't sure the portion size would satisfy me. And I'd be too seduced into over eating by the free foods and the pictures of food and food pushing on the website. I also calculated that the cost of a fitbit and a premium MFP membership would be less, over six to twelve months that I thought I would need to get to goal, than WW. But again, I think WW is fine for those that choose it and if they think it works for them. Those are just my reasons why this time I chose MFP