Eat More Cucumbers!

Options
Cucumbers are a high-alkaline vegetable that helps regulate blood pressure and play a role in the structure of connective tissue within the body, including the muscles. Cucumbers are also a mild diuretic and can ease bloating or swelling. Their antioxidant qualities make them great for removing toxins from the body. Cucumbers are also high in B vitamins.

shutterstock_297523988.jpg

Replies

• jharris10252012
    jharris10252012 Posts: 7 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    According to the American Heart Association, since cucumbers are high in the electrolyte potassium, they can reduce sodium-induced water retention and that's how they can help lower blood pressure... Potassium is an electrolyte that helps regulate the amount of sodium retained by the kidneys.
  • jharris10252012
    jharris10252012 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Also, Cucumber water can help soothe your skin from the inside out. Staying hydrated helps your body to flush out toxins and maintain a healthy complexion. Cucumbers are also high in pantothenic acid or vitamin B-5, which has been used to treat acne. One cup of sliced cucumbers has about 5 percent of the recommended daily value of vitamin B-5.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    FYI, the OP has started a thread on alkaline diets in Debate and I've commented on that there: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10840186/how-do-you-feel-about-an-alkaline-diet

Because my partner likes them, we are having cucumbers (and other veggies) in our salads for dinner tonight.

I'm indifferent to them and wouldn't be buying them otherwise.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I will!

But only because my sister is getting a bumper crop of them in her garden and keeps leaving them outside my door. Home grown have so much more flavor than grocery store cukes.

My mom's cukes are off to a late start this year. Normally by now she'd be giving them to anyone who stops by, and she has also been known to leave them on neighbors' doorsteps.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    Oh, yeah, I have been eating the fresh off the vine ones, too. Delicious.

Am I alkaline yet??
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I will!

But only because my sister is getting a bumper crop of them in her garden and keeps leaving them outside my door. Home grown have so much more flavor than grocery store cukes.

I had some cucumbers I needed to use or lose too (also from the garden), so decided to try making a cucumber soup (with greek yogurt, dill, and parsley, plus some lemon). Will report back. Usually gazpacho is my go to for using up cukes, but I wanted to try this.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I will!

I had some cucumbers I needed to use or lose too (also from the garden), so decided to try making a cucumber soup (with greek yogurt, dill, and parsley, plus some lemon). Will report back. Usually gazpacho is my go to for using up cukes, but I wanted to try this.

That sounds good! I have so far just been eating them raw/in salads since they just started showing up on my doorstep. Once I get sick of them, I'll need some recipes. :)

My sister makes a lot of pickles when she gets this many cukes. Hers are coming in earlier than others in the area because she starts the plants inside and then transplants them outside when the weather permits.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,596 Member
    Options
    @paperpudding :lol::love: :kissing_heart: <slinks away to watch fireworks>
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I keep checking my cucumbers every day and they're only 3" long. Still a little ways to go but then, watch out. If they're like last year, I'll be picking 5+ every day. SO much better than store bought. :)
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I love cucumbers. And cucumber chop water. Knew they were healthy. Good to know they’re helping my complexion too!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I love cukes- especially this time of year when they are cheap and abundant at the farmers market!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    @paperpudding :lol::love: :kissing_heart: <slinks away to watch fireworks>

I think I have mentioned once or twice that I really do not like cucumbers :D

Fortunately for me I do not need any help with blood pressure or diuretics and I'm sure I can get enough potassium and vitamins from other foods and I don't have any toxins to need detoxing. :)
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I go through spurts with cucumbers. I'll eat them heavily for a week or two and then I don't touch them again for months. One of those veggies I get bored with quickly.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I usually love cucumbers and courgettes. But my neighbours have grown an impressive crop this year (thank goodness I haven’t grown any) and I’m now getting marrows fly-tipped on my doorstep. To be fair I did the same to them last year but I can’t keep up with the blasted things! This weekend is narrow chutney time.I’m desperate.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    I’m now getting marrows fly-tipped on my doorstep

^^ LOL I have no idea what this means!!