Body fat calculator?

Options
HI there, I am 7 lbs from my goal weight of 120 at 5.5. (At worst I was 156 lbs and felt awful.) But since I started recomposition, I don't care so much about the pounds anymore, but more about body fat and getting my body to feel strong again after an unhealthy and stressed out few years with small children. I am trying to get more sleep, eat a low carb diet and trying to cut sugars and dairy out. I often eat avocado and add coconut oil in my food and smoothies, as well as toasted coconut and nuts.

I got a Rehnpro (sp?) smart scale, and it calculates that I have 14.3% body fat. That just can't be right. I can easily pinch fat in 4 very typical problem areas: hips, abdomen, upper inner thigh, upper arms. I also can't get rids of the boobs after being pregnant, and I still wear a 32 E bra. I know, crazy. (Really wish I could afford surgery as I am not a feminine person, more androgynous/non binary.) It is not as crazy as it sounds though, I am just fitted right which many women are not. You would probably think I have a C cup honestly.

Yes, I have a very skinny back and skinny legs, but 14% body fat is extremely low, especially since I am 46 years old. I always had fat accumulation in the abdominal area so I am hoping to beat that this time with a lot of weight and core training.

Yes, I know my goals are on the low end, but that is just who I am. But I don't want to ruin my health, just become fit and strong. Anyone with similar experiences with this scale? I guess the trick is to measure with a tape measurer, I just don't have one right now.... ugh.

Replies

• westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I also have this scale....and I don't actually know how accurate all the other measurements are except for weight. I know the weight is right bc I've compared to other more traditional scales. I believe that it uses slight electric current through your body to measure fat percentage (I assume this measures how fast the current moves through your body and has something to do with muscle/fat/organ.....ect....having different densities and affecting how easily the electricity moves through you).

I am also on the lower end of my 'healthy weight' range --- I'm 5'3" and can weigh anywhere between 114-120....but my body fat percentage according to the Renproh is staying consistently at 20-21% and I can also grab fat in the usual places.

So...maybe it's just not accurate? I'm not sure.

You can see if there is somewhere they can use calipers to measure your body fat (gym/doctor) or use the measurement way to get an estimate: https://www.calculator.net/body-fat-calculator.html
    Compare that stuff and see?
  • Viktoria2022
    Viktoria2022 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was expecting 25% honestly, just going for a visual. I don't have muscle definition at all, or barely. Your numbers seems more correct. Very strange. I don't know your age, but in my age I am supposed to have 21% minimum!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,370 Member
    Options
    I'm female 5'5", 125 lbs, figure I'm somewhere in the lower 20s percent body fat.

The BIA scales aren't very accurate, as a generality. Today, mine said 22.9%. Last time I checked one of the online body fat estimators (where you input measurements of many body points), it estimated 23%. In comparison of appearance to example photos online, I think my upper body looks like upper teens percent, lower looks upper 20s, so lower 20s overall seems semi-realistic. I have no breasts at all (post mastectomies, no reconstruction).

I'm fairly defined in upper body, but not major muscle mass (that's my arm & back in the profile photo).

I have a hard time believing a woman near my height and weight would be at 14.3 percent body fat.

She'd have to be very muscular to have body fat that low, or be *ultra* thin if with minimal muscle.

With muscle, I think she'd also need to be very narrowly built, because muscle is heavy, and enough to wrap around a 5'5" average frame would drive weight above 120s at that low a body fat. (Seriously muscled women I know around my height with low body fat weigh much more than me.)

If ultra thin without muscle, frame size would need to be wider, or weight would be lower at that height. (With my currently estimated muscle mass, I'd be around 110 pounds at 14% BF, lower weight if less muscle . . . and would look pretty bad at that weight. I've been at 116 not that long ago, and that was Not Good IMO, on my frame, which is somewhat narrow.)

Breasts are usually at least partly fatty tissue, but actual breast tissue could shift the probability somewhat for a non-muscular woman.

14% just seems improbable, though.

BTW: At a healthy body fat level, most women, especially non-athletic ones, are going to be able to pinch up a bit of fat here and there. Trying to lose all pinchable fat is not likely to be a good goal, IMO, especially if not much muscle mass. I don't think either health odds or appearance would be favorable.

One option would be to take clear full-body front/side/back photos in a 2-piece swimsuit or sports bra & boy shorts (not undies), post in the Bodybuilding part of the Community forum here, ask for a bodyfat percent estimate. Some of the experienced personal trainers who participate there are good at ballpark visual estimates.
  • Viktoria2022
    Viktoria2022 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Your arm and back is a serious goal of mine. Yes, I think this scale just doesn't work for me, at least not the body fat calculation. I wish I was courageous enough to post those pictures of me. I have very underdeveloped muscles honestly. I really hope I'll be able to build them! One thing though is that the scale helped me set more realistic weight goals. I was pushing for 115, but that seems just crazy now. Now I am wondering if I should just try to hit 125 and then maintain and aim to build muscle. We will see.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,370 Member
    Options
    Your arm and back is a serious goal of mine. Yes, I think this scale just doesn't work for me, at least not the body fat calculation. I wish I was courageous enough to post those pictures of me. I have very underdeveloped muscles honestly. I really hope I'll be able to build them! One thing though is that the scale helped me set more realistic weight goals. I was pushing for 115, but that seems just crazy now. Now I am wondering if I should just try to hit 125 and then maintain and aim to build muscle. We will see.

No need to agonize too much over exact goal: You can change your mind at any point.

If you get to 125 and things feel good, you can maintain there for a bit, see if you can maintain happily there longer term with good life balance, maybe later decide to lose more or gain a little. Or, reach 125, decide 120 sounds better, hang out at 120 for a while. Whatever, it's flexible! Keep it healthy, that's the big thing.

Best wishes!
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I have one of those kinds of scales, but it always seems on the high side to me. I think they are inaccurate because they use electric resistance. The electricity will always find the shortest path. Since you’ve said you have very thin legs, the path up and down your legs would be very fast = lower number.

I use health status .com website bf% calculator https://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/body-fat-percentage-calculator/

You measure, enter, it calculates using four commonly used USA bf% algorithms.

I then take the average of the five (my scale + the 4 from the calculator)

If you don’t have a flexible tape measure then use a piece of string, take the measurement, hold or mark the string, then measure the string using a ruler.

At the end of the day, bf% is inaccurate unless you do a water displacement test — which, unless you are an elite athlete, isn’t necessary. How you feel is what is important.

Take care
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I have one of those kinds of scales, but it always seems on the high side to me. I think they are inaccurate because they use electric resistance. The electricity will always find the shortest path. Since you’ve said you have very thin legs, the path up and down your legs would be very fast = lower number.

I use health status .com website bf% calculator https://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/body-fat-percentage-calculator/

You measure, enter, it calculates using four commonly used USA bf% algorithms.

I then take the average of the five (my scale + the 4 from the calculator)

If you don’t have a flexible tape measure then use a piece of string, take the measurement, hold or mark the string, then measure the string using a ruler.

At the end of the day, bf% is inaccurate unless you do a water displacement test — which, unless you are an elite athlete, isn’t necessary. How you feel is what is important.

Take care