Tips for taming your desire to eat

Options
2»

Replies

• joowelz
    joowelz Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    [quote="ChaoticMoira;c-46164166"
    • You can also use sugar free jello to help make a meal feel bigger. This is good if I have had a healthy snack/meal, but it wasn't big enough; I can add on some sugar free jello to make it heavier in my stomach.

@ChaoticMoira What kind of jello do you have? When i hear jello, i think of that red jiggly stuff.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    joowelz wrote: »
    Thanks all. I am actually hungry so its not in my head. I have realized that i can switch my Truvia with Cane Sugar to 100% stevia for my coffees and will need to stop putting 1 tbs of ground flax in my yogurt. This will save a total of 127 calories. It really sucks that some of us can’t make use of the benefits of flax and other nutrient packed foods/nuts because of our low calorie needs. :( My friend really wants me to take flax daily for its effect on estrogen levels.

What is your goal with cutting calories and what is your calorie budget right now? If your aim is weight loss and your calorie deficit is pretty narrow, it might be best to go a little slower, or look to increase exercise if you can - the burn isn't huge for those things but when a deficit is small every extra burned calorie helps.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,556 Member
    Options
    For me it's just learning how to eat a little less of EVERYTHING to conserve calorie intake. 25-30 here and there adds up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • joowelz
    joowelz Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I stay away from sugar and processed carbs
    They keep me constantly hungry and unsatisfied.
    I don't do Keto because that's too restrictive and faddy for me.
    I just try to keep my food fairly clean no 'sugar or fat free' garbage, fairly low carb etc ..
    It's working so far 👍
    I do IF as well because it really helps me to draw a line under my last meal of the day.
    I obsess over food otherwise.
    Just as long as I'm in a calorie deficit and don't feel hungry it's all good.

• Anya_000
    Anya_000 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    To lose one pound a week, my allotment is 1300 calories a day + 1/2 exercise calories. Not much, but I'm 60. To do it, and not feel like I'm starving, I gave up wine, learned to drink coffee black, eat smaller slices of bread, smaller portions of rice. Before I quit the wine, I was so hungry because there weren't enough good food calories to keep me full.

I have three meals a day, and three snacks, and lots of water. I eat legumes, fish, eggs, cheese, veg, fruit. Snacks are plain yogurt w honey, or fruit, or toast w butter. I really have to plan it out, if I let myself get hungry, I lose it. Also added extra mile walk, so I could earn food. Yeah it's boring, but it's working.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,933 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I am actually hungry so its not in my head. I have realized that i can switch my Truvia with Cane Sugar to 100% stevia for my coffees and will need to stop putting 1 tbs of ground flax in my yogurt. This will save a total of 127 calories. It really sucks that some of us can’t make use of the benefits of flax and other nutrient packed foods/nuts because of our low calorie needs. :( My friend really wants me to take flax daily for its effect on estrogen levels.

Is there a medical reason you need estrogen? (No need to answer, just consider it)

If I took all the supplements my friends suggested for all my physical issues I’d probably be 500 calories in the red on a daily basis. And not one bit healthier.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    More estrogen is not always a good thing. Why do you (or your friend) feel you need it?

Not just ovaries produce estrogen. Among other sources, fat cells make estrogen. That's speculated to be one reason why obesity creates higher risk for things like breast cancer. (I had estrogen-fed breast cancer. It was sub-recreational, as a hobby.)

*I'm not saying you'll get breast cancer.* Not. Not. Not. I can't know that.

I'm simply saying that it may not be necessary or desirable to increase circulating estrogen, unless you have a specific situation that makes that a good idea . . . which you may.

While this article is somewhat ambiguous, my understanding is that the point of taking flax is to REDUCE estrogen levels, as phytoestrogens can be ANTI-estrogens.

https://www.oncologynutrition.org/erfc/healthy-nutrition-now/foods/flaxseeds-and-breast-cancer

I had 1 T of ground flax per day for years with no noticeable affect on my fibroids. However, reducing saturated fat (and increasing fiber) can also reduce circulating estrogen levels. I've been doing that since late December and HAVE noticed positive results with my fibroids with that. I'm adding fiber mostly with legumes, berries, and chia seeds, but may add flax back into the rotation due to this discussion.

As a bonus, not spending as many calories on fat, which I love but don't find particularly satiating, allowed me to create a calorie deficit and after being in a rut for four years I am finally able to maintain a calorie deficit and as of the end of July lost 30 pounds.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,933 Member
    Options
    What do you do to help you control your appetite? If you had to shave off 200 calories a day, for example, how would you do so while still feeling like you have had enough to eat?

1. Fuss with my macros until I find the foods that satisfy me the most for the last amount of calories. For me, that's reducing fat, and hitting my protein and fiber goals.
    2. I shoot for 500 exercise calories daily. Mild to moderate exercise also works as a mild appetite suppressant for me. I would really struggle to stay in a deficit without exercise!