Morbidly obese but have no appetite

Options
2»

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,596 Member
    Options
    @milenazh37 , especially for someone who has reasons to believe they're operating a couple of standard deviations slower than the mean, 3.5kg in two months is EXCELLENT progress. It is probably "easiest" for you if you keep your effective deficit in the 20% or less range, maybe going up to 25% of actual TDEE while above BMI 30. So about a lb a week sounds quite good and well done! :smiley:
  • milenazh37
    milenazh37 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    milenazh37 wrote: »
    I'm someone who is currently fighting amitriptyline-induced weight gain. I was put on it in December for depression and neuropathic pain, 50mg a day. I was in the second trimester of my second pregnancy and by the end of pregnancy I didn't gain much more than I did in my first pregnancy. So, everything seemed fine until couple months after birth when I realised I haven't lost a single kg (I was literally the same weight as I were just before birth) and I was staring at a 15kg haevier person than I ever was. For almost 40 years of my life I was able to eat whatever I wanted and never to have any serious problem with body weight. To cut the long story short, after many careful observation of my current lifestyle, it turned out that amitriptyline ridiculously increased my apetite. What was normal for me during my whole life (like, being able to only eat two squares of a chocolate bar in one go) was suddenly increased like five fold or so (I could now eat the whole chocolate bar). The only thing that helped was a meticulous measuring of everything I ate and using fitbit to ensure I'm in a calory deficit. I'm down ~3.5kg in two months, this is painfully slow, but at least it's showing that I have some control over it (I really don't want to stop amitriptyline because the effect it has on my neuropathic pain is really life changing). So, if you want an advice from a fellow "amitriptyline-suferer": measure everything meticulously! As someone said, nothing goes into my mouth unles it was on a scale. Yes, I was that person who took a kitchen scale to a dinner with friends, but I was super determined to figure out what the f was going on - I'm overweight for the first time in my life. And if you want an example of what amitriptyline does to apetite - I realized that if I were to eat as much as my current appetite demands, I would be eating upwards of 1000 Cal over my daily needs... That is horrifying. And it explains how I managed to gain about 5kg within a month after birth, roughly all the weight that I "lost" when they took out the baby, placenta etc. I know you said you had no apetite, but I also thought there was nothing wrong with my apetite for two months, while eating at a ridiculous calorie suficite. So, start measuring and logging religiously to get an idea of exactly how big is your deficit/suficit. That's my honest advice.

Thank you so much for your post! Yes it is true I am not weighing things, just going by what is said on product info and what my 2 dietitians have suggested and recorded. I will now be the person walking around weighing everything lol. Did you by chance have hypothyroidism after taking amitriptyline?

Actually I just checked my thyroid this week, so some 8 months since starting amitriptyline - no, everything seems fine (I have fibromyalgia and in the past ten years every doctor would check thyroid, but it was OK every time).

@PAV8888 - Thank you! Yes, it is a decent progress, it just feels super slow to me compared to the amount of effort... The change in apetite is drustic but subtle, if that makes any sense :). E.g. where I would have before taken one piece of something (meat, cake, bread...), and hear from granmas, aunts etc how I'm not eating enough, I now take two. Nobody notices anything since it is still in the relatively normal range of eating, but for me this double the amount I always ate!