Eat More Cucumbers!

Options

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,654 Member
    Options
    I had a side dish at an Indian street food restaurant the other day. It was chopped seasoned cucumbers, corn and tomatoes with crushed cornflakes, called corn bhel. It was out of this world.

I would dearly love to learn how to make it, but the bhel recipes I find are different.

I love bhel puri chaat too. I use the recipe below but it’s probably not what you are looking for. In general chopped raw veg and coriander, some salted cereals and optional nuts, mixed with chutney.

https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/dishoom-bhel/
  • acpgee
    Options
    Here’s a bhel put chaat recipe that sounds similar to what @springlering62 had.

https://m.recipes.timesofindia.com/recipes/fresh-corn-bhel/rs58713315.cms

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,550 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    Here’s a bhel put chaat recipe that sounds similar to what @springlering62 had.

https://m.recipes.timesofindia.com/recipes/fresh-corn-bhel/rs58713315.cms

Getting closer! Theirs didn’t have a potato and had mint. It’s worth a trip back downtown to reorder and try to figure it out. Plus, any excuse for their paneer wrap!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,998 Member
    Options
    drive by vegetable porch distribution

forevermore known as fly-tipping.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I will!

But only because my sister is getting a bumper crop of them in her garden and keeps leaving them outside my door. Home grown have so much more flavor than grocery store cukes.

I had some cucumbers I needed to use or lose too (also from the garden), so decided to try making a cucumber soup (with greek yogurt, dill, and parsley, plus some lemon). Will report back. Usually gazpacho is my go to for using up cukes, but I wanted to try this.

I think that sounds so good, too! Let us know how it turns out. Sounds kind of like tzatziki soup. How do you thin it?

My favorite cucumber use is Tabouleh with tomatoes. I zest a whole lemon and use it in the lemon vinaigrette to dress it. Makes it extra lemony. Also if using couscous (vs. bulgur) it sticks to the cucumber & tomato chunks evenly which is kind of nice. I'm making it tonight, actually, as a base for chicken on the grill.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    With all this talk about neighbours flytipping excess produce, I wonder if food banks and soup kitchens vegetable donations.

None of the food banks, shelters, or soup kitchens where I'm at will accept fresh produce as it goes bad too quickly and lack of storage capacity.

This is where things like Buy Nothing and Freecycle have a part to play in the equation.

Although here in the Pacific Northwest many people just do drive by vegetable porch distribution.

Yes, I used to use freecycle.org to get rid of excess produce. Now I use my local FaceBook gardening group.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    I’m now getting marrows fly-tipped on my doorstep

^^ LOL I have no idea what this means!!
    Hah! Maybe it’s a Brit thing? Marrows = oversized courgettes (zucchini) and fly tipping is when you dump rubbish somewhere you shouldn’t and run.

As I declined the last lot of courgettes (my fridge is still full of them) my sneaky neighbour waited until it was dark then left a load on my doorstep. I did exactly the same to them last year so it’s now courgette-wars 🤣🤣

Nope. U.S. resident here. Not just a Brit thing. I don't much care for summer squash of any kind, but especially zucchini, because when I was growing up every backyard gardener (including my mother) grew them and tried to foist them on friends, co-workers, neighbors. All summer long it was watery zucchini stewed with tomatoes as the green veg (plus lots of zucchini bread, which was OK). Maybe I should try roasting it now to see if it's better that way -- but who wants to roast in summer?

Before anybody other than university academics knew what the Internet was, there were IRL memes in the U.S. about sneaky ways people tried to get rid of zucchini. Put it in a nice bag or wrap it like a gift and leave it on a bench or bus. Or put the bag on your car's front seat and leave the car door unlocked (if they took the car too, it was a small price to pay to get rid of the zucchini).

Quoting myself here intentionally, as it's far too late to edit.

Coincidentally I went out (as in eating at a restaurant outside) for a late brunch this weekend at a Spanish restaurant, and had eggs served over a pisto, which was a mix of stewed eggplant, peppers, and zucchini -- I thought I tasted tomatoes and a not insignificant amount of olive oil as well -- and it was absolutely delicious. Just so much deeper and richer flavor than the stewed zucchini and tomatoes I grew up with, so I may have to revisit that.

To stay on-topic, the meal also included a cucumber-flavored gin and tonic -- so yummy and refreshing!
  • acpgee
    Options
    Cucumber juice sweetened with a little carrot juice or apple juice is really refreshing in summer.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,369 Member
    Options
    For those who like cucumber drinks, but who don't require their drinks to be sweet, I'll point out that these exist:

17quzutqjbez.jpg

I've tried the bitters and really like them in plain sparkling water, with or without alcohol, perhaps with a lime wedge either way. (I bought them on Amazon; presumably not the only option). One only uses literally a few drops, to get a pronounced flavor, so I haven't calorie-counted it (there's a small amount of alcohol in it, 39% . . . but 39% of 4-5 drops is pretty much nothing - it's like an extract, like vanilla extract, only you need even less to get flavor).

I've not tried the concentrate, but am considering it. It's not a syrup, not sweetened, but is 20 calories per 1/5 fluid ounce serving. It contains some vegetable glycerin, natural flavor, water, salt (5g carbs, 15mg sodium are the only non-zero items on the nutrition label).

Both of these seem pricey per bottle, but have dozens of servings in them. The bitters label doesn't have a serving count, but I've had it since March, use it fairly regularly, and there's still over half the bottle left. The concentrate lists 62 servings.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I’m now getting marrows fly-tipped on my doorstep

^^ LOL I have no idea what this means!!
    Hah! Maybe it’s a Brit thing? Marrows = oversized courgettes (zucchini) and fly tipping is when you dump rubbish somewhere you shouldn’t and run.

As I declined the last lot of courgettes (my fridge is still full of them) my sneaky neighbour waited until it was dark then left a load on my doorstep. I did exactly the same to them last year so it’s now courgette-wars 🤣🤣

Nope. U.S. resident here. Not just a Brit thing. I don't much care for summer squash of any kind, but especially zucchini, because when I was growing up every backyard gardener (including my mother) grew them and tried to foist them on friends, co-workers, neighbors. All summer long it was watery zucchini stewed with tomatoes as the green veg (plus lots of zucchini bread, which was OK). Maybe I should try roasting it now to see if it's better that way -- but who wants to roast in summer?

Before anybody other than university academics knew what the Internet was, there were IRL memes in the U.S. about sneaky ways people tried to get rid of zucchini. Put it in a nice bag or wrap it like a gift and leave it on a bench or bus. Or put the bag on your car's front seat and leave the car door unlocked (if they took the car too, it was a small price to pay to get rid of the zucchini).

Even though I have central AC, I use my oven very little in the summer.

However, I will cook zucchini outside on the grill - lightly oil, a little salt and pepper, and grill until they are soft.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,517 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    With all this talk about neighbours flytipping excess produce, I wonder if food banks and soup kitchens vegetable donations.

None of the food banks, shelters, or soup kitchens where I'm at will accept fresh produce as it goes bad too quickly and lack of storage capacity.

This is where things like Buy Nothing and Freecycle have a part to play in the equation.

Although here in the Pacific Northwest many people just do drive by vegetable porch distribution.

Yes, I used to use freecycle.org to get rid of excess produce. Now I use my local FaceBook gardening group.

I used to garden. But disability put an end to that.
    Now I’m the one accepting veggies from friends. Although I pay back by dehydrating and returning some for my friends winter pantries.

Who in the world would disagree with this????

Seriously people. Some of you are an absolute trip. I swear.
  • acpgee
    Options
    My current go-to recipe for cucumbers is Sichuan smashed cucumbers. This is a version I like.
    https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/smashed-cucumber-salad/
    Here's a simpler version without chilli.
    https://www.seriouseats.com/sichuan-style-smashed-cucumber-salad-recipe
  • acpgee
    Options
    Americans might think that fly-tipping as some sort of slang but it is an official term.
    https://www.gov.uk/report-flytipping
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,550 Member
    Options
    Americans might think that fly-tipping as some sort of slang but it is an official term.
    https://www.gov.uk/report-flytipping

Cow tipping was a thing here for a while.

I have this mental image of pranksters tipping flies, giggling madly, and running off.
  • acpgee
    Options
    @springlering62
    I had a girlfriend who grew up in rural Canada who claims cow tipping was a teenage pastime. She said that cows sometimes fall asleep standing up and 4 or 5 teenagers can genty tip one over. Not sure what to believe about that.
  • kshama2001
    Options

Now I’m the one accepting veggies from friends. Although I pay back by dehydrating and returning some for my friends winter pantries.

Sometimes people click on Disagree by mistake but you have a number of disagrees on this thread where you were just expressing an opinion, so there's no legit reason for disagreeing, IMO. Looks like you may have picked up a Disagree Stalker. You can ask a mod to look into this. They can tell if a particular person is following you around disagreeing with everything you say. Stalking is against the Community Guidelines:

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/community-guidelines
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Love cukes! A slice in ice water is so refreshing!
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,517 Member
    Options

Sometimes people click on Disagree by mistake but you have a number of disagrees on this thread where you were just expressing an opinion, so there's no legit reason for disagreeing, IMO. Looks like you may have picked up a Disagree Stalker. You can ask a mod to look into this. They can tell if a particular person is following you around disagreeing with everything you say. Stalking is against the Community Guidelines:

Thanks. I think I may have a disagree stalker.

Not sure if it’s worth it to bother the mods. But maybe if it keeps up.

An excess of disagree reacts doesn’t hurt anything…. Does it?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,998 Member
    Options

Thanks. I think I may have a disagree stalker.

Not sure if it’s worth it to bother the mods. But maybe if it keeps up.

An excess of disagree reacts doesn’t hurt anything…. Does it?

No, you won't get in any trouble from "disagrees."

I don't think there is a specific rule in the Guidelines about Disagree Stalkers...I don't know where kshama came up with that...I looked!

"Disagrees" are the fruit flies of forum life. :lol: