Any suggestions on exercise’s I can try to help lose weight

I have a couple of very bad disks in my back (L4,L5, and S1) I have arthritis in them and in my hip, bursa, knees and ankles. I can only stand for 5 minutes and then I am down for several hours. 7 years ago doctors tried a medication gabapentin and it put weight on me in a couple of weeks that I can’t get off. I want to lose 60 pounds but can’t hardly move. I have been trying to walk a little more but I can only do so much that way.

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,248 Member
    I am disabled and can barely walk by myself.
    I use a couple canes, or a walker/rollator depending on the day and how I’m feeling.
    What I use is called a NuStep.

It takes up the same amount of room as a traditional treadmill. It is very very disability friendly. Stable. Easy to get on and off. Nicely adjustable. Safe. Low impact.
    The weight limit is 600 pounds, which is far higher than most at home exercise machines.

They’re used at many physical therapy offices, cardiac rehab programs, assisted living facilities, and gyms. Call around and see if there is one nearby you can try out. Get a couple of appointments to familiarize yourself with it if you can.

We adore ours. I simply could not exercise without it. Chair exercises yes. Cardio? Nope. I can do great cardio on this thing.

The only downside is that they are expensive. I put off buying one for a couple of years because of that. And I am sorry I hadn’t started sooner.
    They do have payment plans, which is what we’re doing.

Anyhow, that’s what we use here.
    There’s three disabled people in my house. Me with my balance disorder and neuropathy, a person with mid level dementia, and a person with a congenital disorder that results in extreme differences in joints, muscles, and ligaments. And I do mean extreme. They also are benefiting greatly from the NuStep.

I think there’s a similar item brand named physiostep or similar that is less expensive and may work depending on your specific needs.
  • ChaoticMoira
    ChaoticMoira Posts: 103 Member
    Does your local rec center have any kind of water walking or water aerobics programs you could try?

This! If you can get to a place which offers a water aerobics, or even just a pool you can swim laps in. Water removes pressure from your joints, so you can exercise without that strain.

Water aerobics is what I started with because it was so fun, and didn't feel like a workout, BUT it is, I lost weight. I moved on to other things, but my friend who has arthritis and two bad knees stuck with just this and it works. The people in these classes are always very welcoming and friendly as well. When it comes to workout groups they are the best.

The thing this did for me that was the best, was how my endurance grew. I went from not being able to walk up my driveway that was a small hill without stopping half way up, to strolling up it without stopping, or even huffing and puffing in the time I did water aerobics, which was about 4 months (I was doing it about 4 times a week). I was amazed by how I felt.

You should of course consult with your doctor, I don't know anything about the type of injuries you have. But I would be willing to bet they would say water exercise is the best way to start. They often recommend it to people who have issues with pain and mobility.

You could also look on Amazon for seated exercise videos, and equipment. Just be careful with your back.

• age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    I’m sorry to hear about your back pain. I know what back pain can be like. I had back surgery many years ago to correct protruded discs at L5 S1. It was the standard then, but now rarely performed.
    Weight loss happens in the kitchen.
    Muscle gain happens with exercise.
    So, to lose weight, you do not need to exercise. Exercise does use calories, so helps get to a caloric deficit (which you need for weight loss).
    In addition to water exercises, could you do sitting resistance band or loop exercises? I had a neighbour who was confined to a wheelchair and she used resistance bands daily to exercise her upper and lower body. I did a google search and found these options:

YouTube video

Healthline chair exercises

AllActive guide

Take care
  • astod4
    astod4 Posts: 49 Member
    stalea69 wrote: »
    I have a couple of very bad disks in my back (L4,L5, and S1) I have arthritis in them and in my hip, bursa, knees and ankles. I can only stand for 5 minutes and then I am down for several hours. 7 years ago doctors tried a medication gabapentin and it put weight on me in a couple of weeks that I can’t get off. I want to lose 60 pounds but can’t hardly move. I have been trying to walk a little more but I can only do so much that way.

I’m sorry that you have to deal with that, I bet it’s really tough. I’m in physical therapy school right now, and one thing my professors like to say is “motion is lotion”. It’s simple to say, but can be difficult to implement.

One of my professors had a patient that was in a similar situation as you, and she was constantly in pain. She wanted to be able to go fishing with her grandson but said she was in too much pain. My professor then said that if they’re already hurting, and it’s unchanging when they go and do things they enjoy, why not do the things they enjoy because they’ll hurt anyway. If you can get moving, even just a little, the discomfort may still be there, but you can still do the things you enjoy.

As someone mentioned above, aquatics can be very helpful for limited physical activity.

I hope that helps!
  • robertapfischer
    robertapfischer Posts: 3 Member
    i too am in your boat i barely walk and have had 2 back surgery's now my knees need replaced but my weight stops me from getting them so i am on a mission to loose the weight to get it i lost 28 pounds so far i do marching in sitting in place ,i also use a stretchy band with my legs i use weights for upper body 20 mins a day put music or watch t.v and do these and before long it gets a little easier while I'm watching tv I'm moving my body bending my sides reaching up to get exercise in good luck there are videos on you tube just type sitting exercise and it comes up good luck
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,248 Member
    astod4 wrote: »
    stalea69 wrote: »

My professor then said that if they’re already hurting, and it’s unchanging when they go and do things they enjoy, why not do the things they enjoy because they’ll hurt anyway. If you can get moving, even just a little, the discomfort may still be there, but you can still do the things you enjoy.

With respect, pain is not always “discomfort”
    It’s often debilitating. In and of itself.

It makes a person no longer enjoy the things they used to enjoy.

Yes, exercise can sometimes help when done properly. But to dismiss it like your professor did is pretty sad.
  • astod4
    astod4 Posts: 49 Member
    edited August 2021

With respect, pain is not always “discomfort”
    It’s often debilitating. In and of itself.

It makes a person no longer enjoy the things they used to enjoy.

Yes, exercise can sometimes help when done properly. But to dismiss it like your professor did is pretty sad.

Also with respect, there’s research saying that if you state pain 3 times or more to a patient their pain levels will increase. I was trying to help her out by not making her think specifically about pain, but about function and what she can do.

My professor addressing that patient’s concerns helped her get back to fishing with her grandson and changed her perspective on what she could actually do, taking control of her pain rather than letting the pain control her.