Black Bean recipes

mchopper1
mchopper1 Posts: 11 Member
I am trying to eat more protein so I bought a can of black beans. Now I don't know what to do with them. lol Would like some ideas of what you do with them. Thanks.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    I like black bean soft tacos (corn tortilla) with sweet potato chunks, a bit of some kind of calorie-efficient cheese, chopped or thin-sliced veggies (like sweet peppers, onions, whatever), salsa, maybe dab of guacamole if I have the calories, spoonful of plain nonfat Greek yogurt.

Something like tostadas is also good; frittata with beans, veggies & salsa; stew or chili; . . . .
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 353 Member
    I LOVE black beans. I think any type of burrito bowl or similar is always good. Chicken, black beans, corn, some cheese, salsa, rice/riced cauliflower, etc. Mix it in however you'd like!

I also made a black bean chili once (just googled a recipe) that turned out OK. I'd have to switch it up a bit though because it got to be a bit lackluster for me after a couple servings.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I love black beans in salad. I make a salad with just lettuce, drained rinsed black beans, and Mexican-style corn. I love it!
  • mermaidnj
    mermaidnj Posts: 161 Member
    Black bean and asparagus salad many recipes on line sound but I love it
    https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/black-bean-asparagus-salad/
  • corinasue1143
    mermaidnj wrote: »
    Black bean and asparagus salad many recipes on line sound but I love it
    https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/black-bean-asparagus-salad/

Saved that recipe. Gonna try it with canned asparagus. Won’t be as crisp. Cross your fingers.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    @corinasue1143 oh, canned asparagus makes me sad :( are you sure you can't get at least frozen, if not fresh?
  • corinasue1143
    I can do fresh right now. But not for long. Hadn’t thought of frozen. Will use fresh first. If I like it, maybe frozen.

Also, we haven’t yet said black bean burgers. Been a long time since I made them, so I forgot how. But they’re good, too. (And easy).
  • Toronto6fan
    Toronto6fan Posts: 413 Member
    Black bean salad with avocado, tomato's, corn is a fave here
  • sandielewis2001
    sandielewis2001 Posts: 318 Member
    I do a taco with cubed sweet potato, black beans and quinoa. Sometimes I add soy-chorizo if I am feeling fancy.

Also love a homemade black bean burger.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited June 2021
    I add black beans and spinach to my scrambled eggs for breakfast.
    I also use them to make a quick taco filling, mix in some salsa and heat (use in taco shells with mexican rice and some veggies).
    Gallo pinto (rice and beans) is my black bean favorite, but depends where you are because you have to have Salsa lizano to make it. (FYI you can get it from Amazon). But I do something similar with quinoa, spinach, peppers, with black beans and nutritional yeast.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Here’s what I did tonight with Black Beans:

https://www.rebelrecipes.com/spiced-black-beans-turmeric-roast-cauliflower/

lmda026p32kt.jpeg

Was very good!
  • ldaltonbishop
    ldaltonbishop Posts: 97 Member
    Black bean salsa is good cold, warm, or at room temperature. Just rinse your beans and add what you like. This recipe has nutritional information, but I my taste would run to less lime juice. You can reduce sodium by reducing the added salt. Eat the salsa as a side dish/relish or as a salad.
    https://www.thespruceeats.com/black-bean-salsa-4172306
  • michaed
    michaed Posts: 8 Member
    https://dinnerthendessert.com/chipotle-black-beans-copycat/

I make these beans any time we do a taco or fajita night. So good! They make great leftovers, too.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 976 Member
    Southwestern quinoa salad with various veggies; corn, black beans, orange bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, scallions, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, black pepper, cumin, chili powder, and a touch of cayenne. Had it today!
  • autobahn66
    autobahn66 Posts: 59 Member
    Ok: here's my go-to for black beans. Apologies to anyone from a Mexican background as this is my Irish mutation of black beans!

Ingredients:
    10ml vegetable oil

2 large onions, chopped, doesn't have to be fine
    4,6,8,10 cloves of garlic a head of garlic (like as much garlic as you want, you can't have too much), crushed
    2 Fresh chillies (medium heat), chopped

20g of whole cumin, toasted
    1 inch cinnamon stick
    5-10g coriander seed, toasted
    10-20g black pepper
    10g smoked paprika (more for colour than anything else - the chipotle is what gives the flavour)
    sprig of thyme (amount depends on dried or fresh - if dried the flavour will be attenuated somewhat)
    10g oregano (amount depends on dried or fresh - if dried the flavour will be attenuated somewhat)

1-2 dried habanero
    2 chipotle (or other smoked chilli if not available)

50g Chorizo (optional - I have used Mexican, Spanish or none when I am not eating meat or to reduce fat)

400g chopped tomato (or passata of an equivalent volume)

800g black beans, tinned (can use dried, just soak and cook as normal, then add, or soak and cook in sauce
    400-800g of any other beans (to lengthen it as black beans are more expensive than other beans here)

Salt - to taste, depending on salt content of beans

Process:

In a large pot, preferrably cast iron

Fry chorizo at a good heat to crisp up and render fat out - can pour off/discard this fat or use it to proceed to the next step

Gently fry onions - for about 8mins
    Add garlic and chillies as the onions soften, fry for further 2 mins

In the meantime, grind the cumin, coriander, pepper and cinnamon in a grinder

Add the ground spices, herbs and chillies to the frying onions and continue to fry for a moment

Add tinned tomato

Add beans

Add enough water to give everything room in the pan

Stir and heat to a boil

Reduce heat to a simmer and reduce down until thick, stirring regularly (I prefer longer than shorter, up to a few hours is fine)

(depending on the beans used some may breakdown and make this a very thick sauce, in which case care needs to be taken not to burn the bottom of the pan - if the beans remain whole then it is much less thick but just as tasty)

*Important: find and remove the dried habanero at the end of cooking, or halfway through if it looks like its going to be thick* I use a wee device to keep it submerged but not totally free while cooking, but if you don't and you serve this to someone else, they may get a little...uncomfortable... if they eat the habanero and aren't used to it.*

It ends up pretty rich and dense. Can be eaten on it's own or with a carb of your choice: goes great with bread or rice. I portion this amount out to approx 8 servings or so, but YMMV. The amount I can eat is limited by the spiciness, but I like that.

Heat can be reduced by using fewer or less spicy fresh chillies or by omitting the habanero.

It is, as most casserole type dishes, best the next day when the flavours have combined.
  • Clairin
    Clairin Posts: 95 Member
    https://cookieandkate.com/quick-dal-makhani-recipe/
    Hi black beans feature in some Indian recipes like this one.

Ive made black bean brownies before, so amazing, you cant tell black beans are in them but your digestive system will know. Lots of fibre!

I love mashed beans and will put them in a pitta with stir fried peppers and salad and yoghurt dressing. Ill use chickpeas this way and pinto beans especially work well.

• mshawski
    mshawski Posts: 1,050 Member
    This is currently in the crock pot for dinner. Super easy and great with egg whites in a burrito for even more protein if you do eggs: https://sweetandsavorymeals.com/slow-cooker-rice-beans/

• bionicpuffy
    bionicpuffy Posts: 93 Member
    I like to add black beans to a tortilla soup.
    This week I made black bean burgers for the first time, as my 9 year old has declared is is now a vegetarian. They turned out pretty well! I used a recipe from Sally's Baking Addiction for the burgers (minus the cheese as I did not have any on hand).