CAN ANYONE SEE AND TELL WHAT MY BODYFAT PERCENTAGE IS? (PIC INCLUDED)

Options
Can any of you experienced folks tell me what bodyfat percentage I am standing at right now. I dont have a fat caliper to find out.

I wanna do a recomp so I wanna make sure my TDEE is calculated properly.

h1z8dr62etqt.png

Your advise is important and very valuable for me.

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    No one can answer that for you. I'd recommend either investing in a scale that provides that information (with the understanding that there will still be a margin of error), ask the trainer at your gym to calculate your % using calipers, or spring for a DEXA scan.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Yeah, I mean people can (and will) guess...

The bottom line is, yes. Yes, start on recomp now. Log your food and exercise here on this site for a month and you'll figure out your own TDEE. The Goals wizard here does as good a job as any online calculator IF YOU KNOW how this site calculates your energy needs.

Here is the explanation:
    https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625391-How-does-MyFitnessPal-calculate-my-initial-goals-

Other than that we all have to run an experiment to establish our TDEE estimation and it is subject to change so it's not a static number. The calculators are meant to get you in the general ballpark, but there are a lot of variables. Very few people know their body fat percentages, and it doesn't really matter what it is. You know you have weight still to lose.

Really it mostly is about health and how we feel we look, right? So do the right things, run the experiment and learn!

Good luck.
  • sherryzm24
    sherryzm24 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    No one can answer that for you. I'd recommend either investing in a scale that provides that information (with the understanding that there will still be a margin of error), ask the trainer at your gym to calculate your % using calipers, or spring for a DEXA scan.

Agreed 100% with what u said. I just want to know a ballpark estimate if you could help me with that so that I can keep a starting point for my caloric intake.
  • sherryzm24
    Options
    Yeah, I mean people can (and will) guess...

The bottom line is, yes. Yes, start on recomp now. Log your food and exercise here on this site for a month and you'll figure out your own TDEE. The Goals wizard here does as good a job as any online calculator IF YOU KNOW how this site calculates your energy needs.

Here is the explanation:
    https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625391-How-does-MyFitnessPal-calculate-my-initial-goals-

Other than that we all have to run an experiment to establish our TDEE estimation and it is subject to change so it's not a static number. The calculators are meant to get you in the general ballpark, but there are a lot of variables. Very few people know their body fat percentages, and it doesn't really matter what it is. You know you have weight still to lose.

Really it mostly is about health and how we feel we look, right? So do the right things, run the experiment and learn!

Good luck.

Hey buddy thanks for taking the time out to reply. really appreciate such valuable insight from you. but I mainly wanted to get an estimated go-to around figure to get an idea what majority thinks. I just dont wanna mess up my TDEE. thats all!.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    https://www.bizcalcs.com/body-fat-navy/

Use the calculator I have linked above. It's a reasonable ballpark.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    sherryzm24 wrote: »

Agreed 100% with what u said. I just want to know a ballpark estimate if you could help me with that so that I can keep a starting point for my caloric intake.

input your stats into MFP. it will calculate your calories for you. You know you have fat to lose, so knowing an exact number right now is almost a moot point. Work on reducing calories and begin a strength training program now. You are not going to mess anything up, only help yourself.

• watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Ball park 20-22%
  • sherryzm24
    Options
    tsazani wrote: »
    My best "educated" guess is you're between 25-30% BF.

That said your approach is wrong. CICO + exercise by itself fails more than 99% of the time.

It will work until for a few months until you body ADAPTS and slows your metabolism to a crawl.

Thanks for your estimations. can you shine light as to what approach to take since you mentioned CICO + Training in itself wont work in the longer run. thanks
  • sherryzm24
    Options

input your stats into MFP. it will calculate your calories for you. You know you have fat to lose, so knowing an exact number right now is almost a moot point. Work on reducing calories and begin a strength training program now. You are not going to mess anything up, only help yourself.

I am following a 3 day full body split (resistance training)
  • sherryzm24
    Options
    watts6151 wrote: »
    Ball park 20-22%

Thanks Buddy!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    tsazani wrote: »
    My best "educated" guess is you're between 25-30% BF.

That said your approach is wrong. CICO + exercise by itself fails more than 99% of the time.

It will work until for a few months until you body ADAPTS and slows your metabolism to a crawl.

Thanks for your estimations. can you shine light as to what approach to take since you mentioned CICO + Training in itself wont work in the longer run. thanks

Suggest you ignore any advice that suggests CICO is an "approach".

Hard to tell from just upper body unflexed but TBH you are at a point it doesn't matter too much as you know the direction you want to take.
    My guess is your BF% is somewhere between 20 - 25%, you could have relatively leaner or fatter lower body as fat distribution can be quite individual.

Take tape measurements and tracking pictures monthly I would advise.

I'd suggest a small deficit rather than trying to recomp at maintenance from where you are now.
    As for your calorie goal first you need to decide on your approach to exercise calories and then choose a tool to match that approach (same very day goal or a goal that varies in line with exercise basically). After a month of consistency you will start to see the trend of what your weight is doing and will be able to adjust if necessary.

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    CICO is basic math.

Do some other sometimes factors get in the way? Sure.
    More so for some. But each one of these factors can be addressed once identified.
    Sometimes that’s difficult for an individual. But that doesn’t mean CICO is wrong.

For weight loss you don’t even need to exercise. Which is great news for those who can’t.

Just make sure your Calories In is lower than Calories Out.

I am sure others here will have good advice about recomp.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,757 Member
    Options
    OP, have you read the recomp thread? https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

The best way to determine your TDEE is to get an estimate from a calculator, either MFP (if you want to log exercise separately, or from a TDEE calculator such as

https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

. . . which I think is better than average because it's multi-formula, has more than typical activity levels with better descriptions of each than most other sources. (Since it has lots of options/info, the display is kind of busy, but that's IMO the only downside.) Some of the formulas will use body fat percent as an input, if any of the above helps you estimate that.

Even better, the Just TDEE Please spreadsheet by MFPs own Heybales:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/home/leaving?allowTrusted=1&target=https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1G7FgNzPq3v5WMjDtH0n93LXSMRY_hjmzNTMJb3aZSxM/edit?usp=sharing

Then, follow the estimate for a month, see if you maintain. Or, if you prefer, eat at a small deficit, see if you lose at the predicted rate (it'll possibly take a couple of months to be confident, if losing slowly). If your average weight loss per week (or average gain, or maintenance) over the multi-week period is different from your intention, adjust your calorie intake accordingly, assuming 500 calories per day equates to about a pound of fat per week. Using your own experience-based TDEE estimate can be more effective than any calculator estimate: Most people are close to average, but a few aren't. Experience tells you where you fall in terms of average-ness.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Body fat % is notoriously difficult to determine with any kind of accuracy.
    I use the healthstatus website calculator https://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/body-fat-percentage-calculator/
    It used four different algorithms. I also have a bio impedance scale. I then take the average of the five.
    But I don’t dwell on it, it is just a number.
    What really matters is how you feel.