"Learning to Run"-open support group

Options

Replies

• Babygirl082578
    Babygirl082578 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have been running for about a month now, training for my first 5K on October 1st. In my training, I felt I was accelerating greatly with the C25K program so one day I just decided to run as long as I could mentally take it before stopping.

I went to the track at the nearby high school before school one day so I could have an accurate measurement of time and distance and figure out my pace. After about two laps I was already hating it and wanted to stop, figuring maybe a half-mile is my limit. But I started playing games in my head and distracting myself with math of all things since I was on a school campus. I kept thinking what fraction of a 5K I would have completed after I finished each lap.

Unbelievably I did AN ENTIRE 5K!!!

I do Math too. It helps...Sounds weird but whatever works.! :)
  • lumberjacks94
    lumberjacks94 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thanks for understanding what I meant about the math comment....I also decided thinking of song lyrics as poetry in my head distracts me too...

I KNOW my legs can do it. It's ALL in my head though....I have decided that's all it is.
  • I ran a lot when I played lacrosse in college, now I generally take spin classes for my cardio workouts. Every once in a while I'll attempt running at the local resevoir. I love the way I feel afterwards, but I just ahte every step. Not to mention the "is everyone looking at me" feeling i perpetually have. HOWEVER, i want to give it another try and I want to learn how to love running and really make it part of my routine.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I have never been a runner or physically active - even when I wasn't overweight. In my last PE class in HS (sophmore year) I got a pity point for jogging the entire mile (I use the term jogging LOOSELY) even though it took over the 10 3/4 minutes we were supposed to run it in.

Just started adding some jogging to my walks and I actually really like it (shockingly). can someone tell me about the run your butt off program? I looked at C25k and I find it too irritating to have to stare at my watch constantly. Right now I just run until its really hard and then walk and then run again. The running sessions tend to get shorter and shorter until I realize thats as much as I can do that day and I walk the rest.

Thoughts?
  • Babygirl082578
    Babygirl082578 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have never been a runner or physically active - even when I wasn't overweight. In my last PE class in HS (sophmore year) I got a pity point for jogging the entire mile (I use the term jogging LOOSELY) even though it took over the 10 3/4 minutes we were supposed to run it in.

Just started adding some jogging to my walks and I actually really like it (shockingly). can someone tell me about the run your butt off program? I looked at C25k and I find it too irritating to have to stare at my watch constantly. Right now I just run until its really hard and then walk and then run again. The running sessions tend to get shorter and shorter until I realize thats as much as I can do that day and I walk the rest.

Thoughts?

Don't run until its really hard! You are wearing yourself out and can't build more stamina. I know the watch thing is a pain at first but you will be amazed at how after maybe week 2 or 3 you will know when its about time to walk again.
    Stick with it! :)
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have always wanted to be a runner. I'm not sure why that is, maybe because you don't need anything to do it, just get up and go. I have had epic fails every time. I am just starting C25K on my treadmill (I have an infant, so excercising in the house is currently my only option). I thought it was going to be a pain having to check the times and all, but I downloaded the C25K Pro app (the $2 one, not the free) for my Droid and it is great. You can play music in the background and the app has a counter on it if you want to look. If you don't want to look, that's ok because the voice tells when it's time to run or walk. For the outdoor runners it even tells you when your are at the halfway point to turn around. I hope this helps me. I want to do my work's 5K in early November. I know I will have to walk some, I just would love to finish in an hour or less. I'm going to get fitted for running shoes this weekend at a proper running store because problems with shoes have tripped me up in the past. Thanks for posting this topic!

Oh, and week 1 day 1 nearly killed me. I hate to be hot and my face could have fried an egg. I so wanted to quit after 15 minutes. I even had to walk a couple of the 8 running sessions, but I know a lot of people have to modify it to start out with and sometimes stay on a week for a couple of weeks, so I am ok with modifying. I hate every minute of it, but it is true, you feel terrific afterwards!
  • J3nnaLyn
    Options
    ohhh and for anyone who has a smart phone....I just downloaded the "my tracks" app (its by google and its free) and it is sooo cool. It maps your run...tells you distance, route, pace, total time, plus time just when you where moving and even total elevation!!! It almost makes me want to run just to play with it!!

Awesome, i'm going to download it!
  • MAC15
    Options
    ohhh and for anyone who has a smart phone....I just downloaded the "my tracks" app (its by google and its free) and it is sooo cool. It maps your run...tells you distance, route, pace, total time, plus time just when you where moving and even total elevation!!! It almost makes me want to run just to play with it!!

I have and use that app and love it! It's super helpful when I take hikes and want to track how far I went etc. I also do it with my toddler on my back in her hiking pack.
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    yeah it was great!!! I love that app!!! I run trails and never could figure out exactly how far I was running!!! 5.1 miles today.....55mins, less then 15mins of that was walking!!!
  • horseryder77
    horseryder77 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    This is a really cool group!!
    I started the c25k program back in May/June.. and now I'm doing a half marathon this Sunday! :)
    I kinda got out of the whole running kick when school started back up (I'm in college) but I just ran 4.5 today.. and I feel pretty good :) A little worried about my knees.. but I figure I'll just do a short run tomorrow, then see how it goes on Sunday.

That's a pretty awesome app! I've never heard of it.. I use "run keeper" or any of the other free apps on my phone. Then again, I also have a garmin cause there are times when running without music (and with a friend) is just more fun!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

Awesome, i'm going to download it!
    There are some great interval apps out there for Android, most of them free. I had one (My Interval Timer, I think) that I loved before my Android went kaput. It is completely flexible for your warm up, running and walking intervals and cool down period. A voice tells you "high" or "low" when it's time to either run or walk so you don't need to watch a clock. Once I get a new phone in a few weeks, I'll be downloading it again.

ETA: I agree on not running until you can't run any longer. I tried that method and while I could run for 5-6 minutes, I wasn't able to keep up the run 3/walk 1 pace I wanted for more than a mile afterward. Pushing yourself like that won't help you in the long run. It's much better to pick a set pace that you can maintain for the whole distance and slowly keep increasing the run intervals over time.
  • Tribonian
    Tribonian Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Started training on an elliptical in April to save my joints- especially my knees- from grief. By July I'd lost enough weight to run a bit and discovered I really enjoy it. In a mania, I signed up for a half marathon on September 25th, my first organized event since Spring 1986. Wish me luck, I'll need it!

6876621.png
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

Thoughts?

Don't run until its really hard! You are wearing yourself out and can't build more stamina. I know the watch thing is a pain at first but you will be amazed at how after maybe week 2 or 3 you will know when its about time to walk again.
    Stick with it! :)

Why would this prevent me from building more stamina? That's not meant to be snarky, I'm just wondering why you say that. The watch thing isn't just a pain at first, its a flat out freaking pain. I have to lift the arm with the watch up so I can see the seconds, activate the light with my other hand and I have to go through this every 15 seconds or so. Maybe its because the timer on my watch (its a HRM) is really small so other people can just glance at theirs and I have to get it a bit closer to my face? But I find it unbelievably tedious and the start and stops felt artificial.
  • dietpop
    dietpop Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Couch 2 5K app and have been stuck on week 2 for 6 weeks. My left knee aches from runner's knee so I rest it for 5-7 days at a time

Just yesterday I discovered that stretching my calf stops the ache. Anyone else discover a stretch that relieves runner's knee?

I'll give week 3 a shot tonight! ( Just got fitting with good running shoes at the Running Company. )
  • katieruns
    Options
    I am starting W2D1 tomorrow morning... week 1 went pretty well... much better than expected. I also used to be a runner before I got fat. I was training for my first half and had to have surgery done. That was 3 years and many many pounds ago. I completely let myself go so I am back to square one. Looking forward to hearing about everyone's success!!!! :drinker: Cheers!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Couch 2 5K app and have been stuck on week 2 for 6 weeks. My left knee aches from runner's knee so I rest it for 5-7 days at a time

Just yesterday I discovered that stretching my calf stops the ache. Anyone else discover a stretch that relieves runner's knee?

I'll give week 3 a shot tonight! ( Just got fitting with good running shoes at the Running Company. )
    My right knee was really bothering me when I started running until I switched shoes. Have you been fitted for running shoes yet? If not, it might be the right time to shell out a few sheckles for good ones. I ran in my cross-trainers that didn't cause problems until I started running more than 3 miles on a regular basis. Then it was time for the "right" shoes. Go to an actual running store and have them check out your gait and foot form so they can recommend the proper shoes for you.
  • AParker1974
    AParker1974 Posts: 89 Member
    Options

I use a similar app from Trimble outdoors love it!!
  • acaudill042106
    acaudill042106 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Yay!! I just started running about 2 weeks ago! i have ALWAYS wanted to be a "runner" ! been working myself up and am ALREADY addicted to running ;) after only two weeks! I am excited to wear this can take me :)
  • ladykathalina
    ladykathalina Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi Abby - :flowerforyou:
    Thanks for getting this started. I'm new at running myself. I've started the C25K and am on W2D1 last night. I'm very anxious to keep going and am worried about week three as a previous person relyed too. I am 53 years old and want and need to lose 50 lbs. I really enjoy the feeling I have after my run/walk but some days I have to force myself out the door....but Walking back in that door is an awesome feeling of accomplishment when I do. So good luck to everyone and I look forward to the support and encouragment.

Kathy :drinker: