Potassium Ploy

Options
gregc50
gregc50 Posts: 47 Member
I get it now. Potassium is listed so you buy the full version to figure out why you can never get enough Potassium in any reasonable/normal diet.

So I bought the full version, and now I know, you need to eat a case of bananas or a sack of spinach to meet your daily requirements.

And before you say its easy, post your 7 day nutrition view to prove you consume 1kg of potassium per week.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Yup, as others said: same database in premium as free MFP; and either one is incomplete because labels in the US haven't had the data until recently (let alone that there are international users here who don't use US labels).

I've spot checked my potassium a few times, and do fine; with the caveat that the zero days in my chart are me being lackadaisical about logging recently (in year 5+ of maintenance at BMI 20-point-something 😆), I think I'm OK on potassium, since the database tends to underreport potassium.🤷‍♀️

7h1eharfcebm.jpg

Also yup to what the heck is with a kg of potassium per week? Just no. Did you mean a gram? Even that isn't right. Looks like my goal would be 24.5g/week, maybe?

On a weekly basis, even MFP thinks I'm close to goal most of the time, somewhat under some weeks, over others. Maybe I'm poisoning myself, since it underreports?

Just for fun: I looked at my biggest single source of potassium over a 30-day period: It's blackstrap molasses, an evil "added sugar" 🤣, at 1 tablespoon per day, pretty much every day, in my oatmeal. Over 800mg daily, right there. So, maybe eat more blackstrap molasses (pick a good brand), OP?
  • maronesax1972
    maronesax1972 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Squash is the answer to your potassium needs. 200g each night with dinner.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Squash is the answer to your potassium needs. 200g each night with dinner.

That'll get you somewhere between 5% and 10% of your RDA. What are you doing for the rest of it?
  • gregc50
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Also yup to what the heck is with a kg of potassium per week? Just no. Did you mean a gram?

That was a joke.
  • gregc50
    Options
    The database for premium is the same database as the free version.

Only on the premium version can I look back at 7 days to get a nutrient summary AND click on the amount to see PRECISELY which foods provided those amounts.
  • gregc50
    Options
    Just for fun: I looked at my biggest single source of potassium over a 30-day period: It's blackstrap molasses, an evil "added sugar" 🤣, at 1 tablespoon per day, pretty much every day, in my oatmeal. Over 800mg daily, right there. So, maybe eat more blackstrap molasses (pick a good brand), OP?

How many calories is that blackstrap molasses ... I only have 300 to spare each day.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    gregc50 wrote: »

Only on the premium version can I look back at 7 days to get a nutrient summary AND click on the amount to see PRECISELY which foods provided those amounts.

MFP isn't particularly great for tracking micro-nutrients. As has been said, the database is crowdsourced and many micro-nutrients aren't required to be put on food labels and since that's largely where users get their information to enter into the database, that information is often missing. In other cases, some users only care about calories and macro-nutrients, so they don't even bother inputting the micro-nutrition. MFP really isn't a great place for accurately tracking micros.

Who cares if you can look back 7 days to get a nutrient summary when most of that micro-nutrition information is incomplete.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    I no longer look at micronutrients with any kind of regularity, but I used to track on a site that offered them which made it feasible to do so. Even then, I only took a peek at magnesium, calcium and the ratio of w-3:w-6.

If you're interested, it was nutritiondata.com and the database is not user sourced.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

How many calories is that blackstrap molasses ... I only have 300 to spare each day.

Nutrients and calories vary somewhat by brand, read labels. 20g of this one is 60 calories, 8% DV potassium, USDA docs say DV is 4700, so you'd need more like 40g (2T) to get 800, for 120 calories. (Mea culpa: I overstated the number in my PP, compared to the current label I have in my hand. Apologies. Still a good source, at 60 calories for 8%, IMO.)
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    FWIW, useful USDA info about needs and sources here:

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Potassium-HealthProfessional/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

1 T of my blackstrap molasses is 70 calories and provides 504mg of potassium (14%). I get it for the iron - this brand provides 20% of the RDA.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Slow-As-Blackstrap-Molasses-32-oz-Pack-of-6/17770607

Regular molasses like Grandma's is suboptimal for both iron and potassium

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Grandma-s-Original-Unsulphured-Molasses-12-fl-oz-Jar/15716722?athbdg=L1200

I like Slow as Molasses because unlike other brands of blackstrap, it is not too bitter to cook with, so now I only have to have one kind of molasses.

Also, I add it to white sugar to make brown sugar, reducing the need for an additional type of sugar.
  • kshama2001
    edited August 2021
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

MFP isn't particularly great for tracking micro-nutrients. As has been said, the database is crowdsourced and many micro-nutrients aren't required to be put on food labels and since that's largely where users get their information to enter into the database, that information is often missing. In other cases, some users only care about calories and macro-nutrients, so they don't even bother inputting the micro-nutrition. MFP really isn't a great place for accurately tracking micros.

Who cares if you can look back 7 days to get a nutrient summary when most of that micro-nutrition information is incomplete.

Yes, I'm anemic and more often than not iron values for user-created entries are incorrect.

Potassium is likely to be worse as it just became required on US food labels recently.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I get it now. Potassium is listed so you buy the full version to figure out why you can never get enough Potassium in any reasonable/normal diet.

So I bought the full version, and now I know, you need to eat a case of bananas or a sack of spinach to meet your daily requirements.

And before you say its easy, post your 7 day nutrition view to prove you consume 1kg of potassium per week.

Are you interested because the app is yelling at you for not getting enough potassium or do you have a medical issue that requires it?

I don't know why I still bother to look at the iron values in foods anymore as I'm not even trying to meet my needs via diet. My anemia is severe enough to require me to get infusions on top of supplementation.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    FWIW, from the USDA doc I linked upthread:
    Dietary surveys consistently show that people in the United States consume less potassium than recommended, which is why the 2015–2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans identifies potassium as a “nutrient of public health concern” [26]. According to data from the 2013–2014 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES), the average daily potassium intake from foods is 2,423 mg for males aged 2–19, and 1,888 mg for females aged 2–19 [27]. In adults aged 20 and over, the average daily potassium intake from foods is 3,016 mg for men and 2,320 mg for women.

That's with an AI (adequate intake, different from DV or RDA) of 3400mg for men 19 & over, 2600mg for women.
    Insufficient potassium intakes can increase blood pressure, kidney stone risk, bone turnover, urinary calcium excretion, and salt sensitivity (meaning that changes in sodium intakes affect blood pressure to a greater than normal extent) [1].

There's more, and the overall picture seems like quite a few people might benefit from getting more potassium, given that mild underconsumption is common, and mild deficiency is implicated as a factor (not necessarily the only factor) in quite a few common medical conditions, especially hypertension.

There are various nutrients people on MFP say aren't worth worrying about, and usually I agree because for quite a few specific ones, deficiencies are uncommon. I'm not sure I'd consider potassium to be in that category, personally.
  • gregc50
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Are you interested because the app is yelling at you for not getting enough potassium or do you have a medical issue that requires it?

I don't know why I still bother to look at the iron values in foods anymore as I'm not even trying to meet my needs via diet. My anemia is severe enough to require me to get infusions on top of supplementation.
    App yelling at me and completionism.
  • gregc50
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

1 T of my blackstrap molasses is 70 calories and provides 504mg of potassium (14%). I get it for the iron - this brand provides 20% of the RDA.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Slow-As-Blackstrap-Molasses-32-oz-Pack-of-6/17770607

Regular molasses like Grandma's is suboptimal for both iron and potassium

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Grandma-s-Original-Unsulphured-Molasses-12-fl-oz-Jar/15716722?athbdg=L1200

I like Slow as Molasses because unlike other brands of blackstrap, it is not too bitter to cook with, so now I only have to have one kind of molasses.

Also, I add it to white sugar to make brown sugar, reducing the need for an additional type of sugar.

Thats pretty cool, I'll check it out.