How many calories

Options
jakie0202
jakie0202 Posts: 3 Member
edited September 2021 in Getting Started
Hi, I know everyone has different goals, but how many calories and macro ratio are people on generally for weight loss. Also I miss breakfast, and so have heaps of calories left, but have nearly reached macros. Calories I am on is 1550. 😊

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    it is different for everyone.

enter your details in MFP and set your desired rate of loss. faster is not always the best option. The number MFP gives you is what you should eat (not less). If you exercise you should eat back those calories (generally about half as the MFP database tends to over estimate for most people)
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    How can you have calories left to eat but not have macros left to eat? That doesn't make any sense. Your macros are a percentage of your whole calorie goal...so if there are calories left, there are macros left.

Generally speaking for weight loss...macros don't matter much. Some people simply find that they are more easily able to stay within their calorie goals when eating a certain amount of different macros. MFP just sets them at a default. You can change them if you want to what works best for you.

Also - if you used the guided set up with MFP to calculate your calorie goal --- it is a GOAL, not a LIMIT. You should not be eating under it routinely.

• nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    If you are out of macros but have lots of calories left: that is a sign that there are foods in your log with erroneous information. Macros are made of calories. It would be like having a budget in dollars (example $20 to spend on video games) and coins (80 quarters). When you run out of quarters, you've used $20. Food logs can be a tiny bit off due to rounding.

Your macros: carbs x 4 + proteins x 4 + fats x 9 should roughly equal your calorie goal. Unless you're using a macro goal set elsewhere and a calorie goal set by your MFP stats?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    For your macros, are you looking at the pie chart? That just shows the distribution of the macros you have eaten for the day, by percentages. It will change as you eat more, unless you happen to eat all your meals and snacks in the exact same macro ratios.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    jakie0202 wrote: »
    Hi, I know everyone has different goals, but how many calories and macro ratio are people on generally for weight loss. Also I miss breakfast, and so have heaps of calories left, but have nearly reached macros. Calories I am on is 1550. 😊

If you're looking at the pie chart, that is only a snapshot of that exact moment and your %s so far at that very moment. Look at your totals in grams. You can't have "heaps" of calories left and no macros unless you've selected very bad entries from the database, which is also possible.

As far as calories for weight loss goes, there is no "generally". Calorie requirements vary as per an individuals stats (sex, height, weight, etc) and activity level. For example, I can lose about 1 Lb per week eating around 2500 calories...for someone less active and/or with different stats that could easily be too much or not enough.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Generally varies between 2,500 - 3,500 cals to lose weight slowly but some days higher and lower than that range.
    I don't do ratios for macros, that's not a great way to manage nutrition with a very varied intake.

Don't suppose that helps you much but it should underline that your calorie goal is individual.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    If you are out of macros but have lots of calories left: that is a sign that there are foods in your log with erroneous information. Macros are made of calories. It would be like having a budget in dollars (example $20 to spend on video games) and coins (80 quarters). When you run out of quarters, you've used $20. Food logs can be a tiny bit off due to rounding.

Your macros: carbs x 4 + proteins x 4 + fats x 9 should roughly equal your calorie goal. Unless you're using a macro goal set elsewhere and a calorie goal set by your MFP stats?

Just FTR, or maybe for completeness: Alcohol is not carbs, protein, or fats, but it has 7 calories per gram. It's sometimes a reason why a person's calories don't balance to their macros, though that typically applies in cases where they're running out of calories but are short on the macro goals.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Just FTR, or maybe for completeness: Alcohol is not carbs, protein, or fats, but it has 7 calories per gram. It's sometimes a reason why a person's calories don't balance to their macros, though that typically applies in cases where they're running out of calories but are short on the macro goals.

Yes, as a general point, which I think is your point. But for the OP or lurkers, in this particular instance, the error is in the other direction. Alcohol would use up calories but not the macros used in MFP. But OP is out of macros, with lots of calories left.