Options
13»

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    nbuuifx wrote: »
    cw106 wrote: »
    I can only suggest you look for a mentor who might inspire you.

Well that certainly wouldn't be you.

I'm not going to let you make me feel bad for having fish and chips and a doughnut with my family.

YES!!

Great answer!!!!!

An occasional meal with the family, including fish and chips AND a donut?

As long as it truly is occasionally?

We’re not meant to wear hair shirts and whip ourselves absolutely all day every day
    (unless that’s your thing. If so, I don’t judge)

Life is for living.
    We all go over our calorie budget sometimes.
    Planning ahead is best, obviously. But sometimes that doesn’t happen.
    So. Roll with it.
    Make up for it in the next few days by going a bit under, as has been suggested above.

You don’t have to exercise to burn it off.
    If you want to? It doesn’t hurt. But you don’t have to.

Personally? I am losing weight in order to be healthier. But if it means no more cakes and donuts and pies ever????

Nah. That’s not how I want to live my life.
    I will budget in a gluten free donut occasionally. Bet on it.

I bought gluten free donuts today.

BWA HA HA!

Maple glazed.

I shall enjoy every bite.

Dear Disagree Stalker.

I have a donut. And you don’t.

I am sorry this makes you jelly.

Nah. Not really. :p

Maple glazed gluten free donuts are delicious. Mmmmmmmmm…. Worth every calorie.

I like mine with chai. Sugar free, of course.

i had a reeses peanut butter pumpkin last night.

because reeses tastes even better when its pumpkin shaped.

almost 200 calories of pure bliss.

and i have another left over for tonight.

and it too, shall be divine.

What is it about the holiday-themed Reese's being better than the standard? I too have noticed this, though my all-time fave is still the Easter egg. Maybe something about the peanut butter ratio.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    nbuuifx wrote: »
    cw106 wrote: »
    I can only suggest you look for a mentor who might inspire you.

Well that certainly wouldn't be you.

I'm not going to let you make me feel bad for having fish and chips and a doughnut with my family.

YES!!

Great answer!!!!!

An occasional meal with the family, including fish and chips AND a donut?

As long as it truly is occasionally?

We’re not meant to wear hair shirts and whip ourselves absolutely all day every day
    (unless that’s your thing. If so, I don’t judge)

Life is for living.
    We all go over our calorie budget sometimes.
    Planning ahead is best, obviously. But sometimes that doesn’t happen.
    So. Roll with it.
    Make up for it in the next few days by going a bit under, as has been suggested above.

You don’t have to exercise to burn it off.
    If you want to? It doesn’t hurt. But you don’t have to.

Personally? I am losing weight in order to be healthier. But if it means no more cakes and donuts and pies ever????

Nah. That’s not how I want to live my life.
    I will budget in a gluten free donut occasionally. Bet on it.

I bought gluten free donuts today.

BWA HA HA!

Maple glazed.

I shall enjoy every bite.

Dear Disagree Stalker.

I have a donut. And you don’t.

I am sorry this makes you jelly.

Nah. Not really. :p

Maple glazed gluten free donuts are delicious. Mmmmmmmmm…. Worth every calorie.

I like mine with chai. Sugar free, of course.

i had a reeses peanut butter pumpkin last night.

because reeses tastes even better when its pumpkin shaped.

almost 200 calories of pure bliss.

and i have another left over for tonight.

and it too, shall be divine.

What is it about the holiday-themed Reese's being better than the standard? I too have noticed this, though my all-time fave is still the Easter egg. Maybe something about the peanut butter ratio.

they do have more peanut butter in them. i think that is why they are better. lol
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »
    I disagree with those who are concerned about the development of an unhealthy relationship between food and exercise. I’m no expert though. I found that the biggest part of losing weight was challenging mental patterns that had developed since my childhood. One of the ways I did that was to build a really strong connection in my brain between body requirements and nutritional intake. Instead of eating mindlessly or because it tastes good etc, I wanted to create a well worn path in my neural pathways that says I eat to feed my body (in addition to other things of course, but that is the biggest one that required development in my brain). So whether it’s exercising in order to eat more or exercising after I eat more, my little pea brain seems to have developed that connection and I personally think it is a healthy attitude.

Oh, there can definitely be an unhealthy relationship between food and exercise. I'm just not concerned about THIS particular OP.

We had an exercise bulimic here previously and I'm sorry I didn't bookmark a particular thread as it was a clear example of a disordered relationship with exercise.

(Again, does not apply to this OP.)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    I disagree with those who are concerned about the development of an unhealthy relationship between food and exercise. I’m no expert though. I found that the biggest part of losing weight was challenging mental patterns that had developed since my childhood. One of the ways I did that was to build a really strong connection in my brain between body requirements and nutritional intake. Instead of eating mindlessly or because it tastes good etc, I wanted to create a well worn path in my neural pathways that says I eat to feed my body (in addition to other things of course, but that is the biggest one that required development in my brain). So whether it’s exercising in order to eat more or exercising after I eat more, my little pea brain seems to have developed that connection and I personally think it is a healthy attitude.

That connection as you describe it, in your mental patterns, is healthy - sure, I can accept that.

But.

Mental patterns. It's the mental patterns that make any particular thing mentally healthy or unhealthy, dysfunctional or helpful.

Some people develop *not* the connection you did, but a mental connection that says if they miss their calorie goal by any amount on any day, they're a bad person, and that they can avoid being a bad person by doing exercise (even exercise they dislike) to expiate that sin of overeating. It becomes an obsession or compulsion. There is guilt, shame, panic, unhappiness, or other negative emotions.

Same external behavior, exercising more related to eating more . . . *completely* different mental state.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options

I eat peanut butter cups because they taste really good and I like them and they make me happy.

I guess they have some protein in them, so... there's that.

I had one of my pumpkins last night. I saved the other one for tonight. And that one will be just as yummy as the last.

Now, here is where the healthy attitude comes in. There was a time I would have eaten BOTH and wanted another package. at the same time. Truly, there was a time I probably would have BOUGHT 2 king size packages with the INTENTION of eating both. at the same time.

Its all about moderation. Even with Reeses.

maybe especially with Reeses.

I had to completely stop even looking at the caramel or peanut butter M&Ms. I will eat the whole bag Yes. Even the party sized bag.
    Gave them up a few years ago. Absolutely had to.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options

I eat peanut butter cups because they taste really good and I like them and they make me happy.

I had one of my pumpkins last night. I saved the other one for tonight. And that one will be just as yummy as the last.

Now, here is where the healthy attitude comes in. There was a time I would have eaten BOTH and wanted another package. at the same time. Truly, there was a time I probably would have BOUGHT 2 king size packages with the INTENTION of eating both. at the same time.

I had to completely stop even looking at the caramel or peanut butter M&Ms. I will eat the whole bag Yes. Even the party sized bag.

i havent had the caramel M&Ms

but peanut butter M&Ms

mmmmmmm

yeah. i dont buy those. well, havent in a long time, anyway. talk about mindless eating lol

When it comes to my weaknesses like that, ill only buy what im willing to eat in one sitting (if i can stretch it to two, great, but I will go ahead and plan on it for one, even if it means im over a bit that day). no way would i buy a party size bag. that would just be asking for problems. it would be like buying a 10 pack of twin wrapped PB cups and saying it was 20 servings. nope. LOL
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options

but peanut butter M&Ms

mmmmmmm

yeah. i dont buy those. well, havent in a long time, anyway. talk about mindless eating lol

When it comes to my weaknesses like that, ill only buy what im willing to eat in one sitting (if i can stretch it to two, great, but I will go ahead and plan on it for one, even if it means im over a bit that day). no way would i buy a party size bag. that would just be asking for problems. it would be like buying a 10 pack of twin wrapped PB cups and saying it was 20 servings. nope. LOL

That's an excellent rule that I live by. Even if what I'm "willing to eat in one sitting" is a 3000 calorie sort of thing, I need to be in control of what I'm choosing to eat and how much in order to stay in balance. If I'm not willing to spend the calories (and would spend them "unwillingly" if exposed to them) I would rather not have that stuff in front of me taunting me. I buy single servings of things when a single serving is mentally satisfying enough, and I plan for multi-serving things when a single serving is not satisfying. I never buy/make multiple servings expecting myself to eat a single serving if my experience taught me I have a problem moderating that food.

last week i was in excruciating pain, waiting for a CT scan. bought a package (whole package not some mini size thing, if such a thing exists of these, ive never seen them) of the wafer type (not hard cookie type) nutter butter cookies. knowing, full well, I would eat the whole thing in one day. And i did. and it came out to 3000 some odd calories. and i logged it. and i didnt regret it. and i still lost weight that week. LMAO

needless to say, i only buy about one package of those a year LOLOL fortunately they are not 'eye level' for me on the cookie aisle. they are up at the very top and i am very short, so i actually have to stand way back and LOOK for them to see and find them and then climb to get them down

yes, thats worth it, too.

LOL

Ah! Another good reason to carry a cane!
    I have knocked so so soooooo many things down and into my cart with my cane!

(announcer voice) “This has been another episode of Crip Tips!
    Brought to you by the people at “Is this a new pain or the same old one?” and “Do I have the spoons for a shower today?”
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options

but peanut butter M&Ms

mmmmmmm

That's an excellent rule that I live by. Even if what I'm "willing to eat in one sitting" is a 3000 calorie sort of thing, I need to be in control of what I'm choosing to eat and how much in order to stay in balance. If I'm not willing to spend the calories (and would spend them "unwillingly" if exposed to them) I would rather not have that stuff in front of me taunting me. I buy single servings of things when a single serving is mentally satisfying enough, and I plan for multi-serving things when a single serving is not satisfying. I never buy/make multiple servings expecting myself to eat a single serving if my experience taught me I have a problem moderating that food.

last week i was in excruciating pain, waiting for a CT scan. bought a package (whole package not some mini size thing, if such a thing exists of these, ive never seen them) of the wafer type (not hard cookie type) nutter butter cookies. knowing, full well, I would eat the whole thing in one day. And i did. and it came out to 3000 some odd calories. and i logged it. and i didnt regret it. and i still lost weight that week. LMAO

needless to say, i only buy about one package of those a year LOLOL fortunately they are not 'eye level' for me on the cookie aisle. they are up at the very top and i am very short, so i actually have to stand way back and LOOK for them to see and find them and then climb to get them down

LOL

Brought to you by the people at “Is this a new pain or the same old one?” and “Do I have the spoons for a shower today?”

my ex was disabled and had a cane. I forgot he used to do that LOL

was quite handy, actually!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options

but peanut butter M&Ms

mmmmmmm

LOL

I think there's a great market being missed to combine one of those canes that end at the bottom with multiple prongs (for stability, I assume) with one of the trigger claw mechanisms for grasping objects that are out of reach (or for trying to extract toys from the big glass boxes at the arcade).
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options

but peanut butter M&Ms

mmmmmmm

LOL

I think there's a great market being missed to combine one of those canes that end at the bottom with multiple prongs (for stability, I assume) with one of the trigger claw mechanisms for grasping objects that are out of reach (or for trying to extract toys from the big glass boxes at the arcade).

It exists.
    And is too bloody expensive for a cane that isn’t made of titanium and gold.

om3i12lk00fp.jpeg
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options

but peanut butter M&Ms

mmmmmmm

LOL

It exists.

om3i12lk00fp.jpeg

I think three or four prongs would work better. That does seem pricey. I recently bought a folding walker, and it was only slightly more expensive. I haven't priced canes in more than 30 years, so I don't have a basis for comparison, but I would expect them to cost a lot less than a walker.
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options

but peanut butter M&Ms

mmmmmmm

LOL

It exists.

om3i12lk00fp.jpeg

I think three or four prongs would work better. That does seem pricey. I recently bought a folding walker, and it was only slightly more expensive. I haven't priced canes in more than 30 years, so I don't have a basis for comparison, but I would expect them to cost a lot less than a walker.

Depends on the canes and the walkers (zimmer for you Brits)

I’ve had canes that cost $15 and did the job.
    I love my Leki walking sticks. Carbon fiber. Very light. $250 with the rubber feet. But they are not working as well as they once did.
    The first walker I used was the one my husband got during cardiac rehab. That was “free” with his VA/Medicare. Probably about $75 on Amazon.
    My current walker I got just a few months ago. $225. And it has many bells and whistles.
    Canes can be expensive if they are made of lightweight materials. Which you definitely want if you’re using forearm crutches. Because metal forearm crutches are heavy and a pain to use.

Anyhow. Off topic. Happy to discuss further but in a dedicated disability issues thread. If others want to.