Question About Nipples - For MALES (Believe it or Not)

Options

Replies

• flawedandfabulous
    Options
    I understand that wearing something like an underarmour shirt works.
  • 1myfit
    Options
    Wow....didn't know this happened to guys. That would suck. We have these things at work call tegaderm dressing. It's like a film of plast with sticking edges. Protects wounds from fluid. I know the sell them at walgreens maybe walmart. Good luck.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I'm a little concerned that they're bleeding at all!

It's actually a common thing with male runners. I was reading up on some running things a couple days ago and randomly came across an article about males with bleeding nipples from running (was a bit awkward to read but was like an accident - I couldn't look away). They said what everyone here has said - Body Glide.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    NOT A GUY HERE, but I know: :tongue:

The absolute worse thing I hate to see at the finish line is a guy's t-shirt streaked with blood. This is just as important as a sports bra. Wear a mositure-wicking shirt (never cotton - as it hold moisture therefore causes chafing) & check out www.nipguards.com.

I learned this in a co-ed marathon training group. :wink:
  • lumberjacks94
    lumberjacks94 Posts: 135 Member
    Options

It's actually a common thing with male runners. I was reading up on some running things a couple days ago and randomly came across an article about males with bleeding nipples from running (was a bit awkward to read but was like an accident - I couldn't look away). They said what everyone here has said - Body Glide.

Oh, great was this awkward for everybody to read???
    Seriously though, thanks for the suggestions. I'm getting some Body Glide and better band aids today!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Wear something like this under your regular running shirts. Super light, super comfortable, protects your nipples...

Craft Pro Cool Mesh Super Light Sleeveless
    http://www.triathletesports.com/Craft-Mens-Pro-Cool-Mesh-Superlight-Sleeveless-p/194378.htm

Or you might have luck with better shirts. A finer weave with softer materials might help. I bought some Champion brand running shirts from target that seemed nice, but they've chaffed/irritated my nipples every time I've worn them. None of my better shirts do.
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Yup..it happens. It happened when I did my first triathlon this summer and was wearing my cycling jersey for the run. By the end of the run..I got to experience that for the first time. I had heard about it, but never experienced it personally. I was then told to use Body Glide. Next time I sign up for something like that, I'll have to keep that in mind.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I had this problem when running in cotton t-shirts. The best thing to get is sweat wicking shirts like Nike Dri-Fit or Under Armour. These running shirts are way better for sweat management, comfort, etc while running anyways plus they keep the nipples from getting chaffed.
  • Leola2011
    Options
    Well, well...you learn something new everyday!
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Nipguards-Runners-Nipple-Protectors/dp/B00473REDW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316023160&sr=8-1

Nipguards, and highly recommend Lanolin for repair.

Happens to my husband too.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

Seriously though, thanks for the suggestions. I'm getting some Body Glide and better band aids today!
    I bought my running shoes at the Roadrunner in Tempe last month. I saw Body Glide while I was in the store waiting in the crazy long line to check out.
  • topyule
    topyule Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    What type of shirt are you wearing? Cotton t-shirts are not the best. Try a sports type fabric like UnderArmor or a nylon.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    what about pit stick? I know for my thunder thighs, i put pit stick on em and it prevents chaffing (lmfao sorry, I'm chubby)
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Just chop 'em off. You don't need them anyway! ;)
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    Ditch the shirt. Babes like it when you do that.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    nipplemassage.jpg
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I actually get really good mileage out of paper tape. You can buy a roll in the drug store for a couple dollars. I criss-cross 2 strips over each nipple and I'm good to go. I have had success with the tape staying on for up to 18 miles (3.5 hours). And I run in Hawaii and sweat A LOT so that is saying something.
  • Tribonian
    Tribonian Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Had this problem a month ago. I use band-aids mostly and body glide if I don't have band aids. Cotton shirts are a killer- it has not been an issue since I started using shirts that wick well.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options

Haha no no. It was just that the article was written in a bit of an awkward way. Your question was fine! :flowerforyou:
  • Montco_cancel
    Montco_cancel Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Stick with bandaids, but get the higher quality ones. Like the ones that are more fabricy feeling rather than the flimsy ones. I use them and they have never fallen off. Kind of hurt to take off at the end though, haha.