Is my heart rate normal

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,546 Member
    edited September 2021
    royjason96 wrote: »
    I know you are worried about contributing to the problems in your healthcare system.
    So you should start with
    Expressive Therapy For Depression

Commenting SOLELY on the SPAM Flags. I did click to see what was being peddled.

Healthline does medically review the articles they publish and this one indicates it has been medically reviewed too. Skim read indicates nothing specific being sold.

Thus, in my opinion, regardless of whether it is appropriate, pertinent, accurate, and whether I agree with it, or not, spam it is not!
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Are fitness trackers accurate though?
    My Fitbit puts my resting heartrate between 50 - 55 most days and goes up if I'm due my period or have had a night out with alcohol involved.
    The chart for fitness puts me at the heart rate of someone of excellent fitness - which is definitely not the case 🤣
  • 39flavours
    39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
    So I went for the heart tracing electrocardiogram thing yesterday. I was early for the appointment so was sitting with headphones in and didn't realise the nurse was calling my name, that gave me a bit of a shock, then, shock number 2, I had to have an unexpected blood test for my thyroid which was really painful, then I had to strip down to my bra and lay down while the nurse stuck all the sensors on me and I'm not good with that kind of close contact so I was feeling a bit freaked by this point, then another nurse comes in unexpectedly and the two of them have a bit of a tense exchange about both needing the machine at the same time and trying to fit in another patient, so all in all I was feeling quite stressed out. My heart rate reading was 68bpm which she said is perfectly fine as a good range is between 60 and 100bpm. I asked her if it had seemed a little low, she said 'why? Have you been getting low readings?' So I told her I'm av.44bpm at night and btw 55-125bpm in the day but that as I am using an activity tracker to measure I'm not sure how accurate. She replied that activity trackers are actually usually quite reliable and that my readings were quite low, she said to make sure I tell the doctor about it when I see them next week.
  • 39flavours
    My Fitbit puts my resting heartrate between 50 - 55 most days and goes up if I'm due my period or have had a night out with alcohol involved.
    The chart for fitness puts me at the heart rate of someone of excellent fitness - which is definitely not the case 🤣

Interesting! I just compared my HR chart to my period tracker and the 2 days before I came on last month my high heart rate was up by 15bpm, curious!
  • thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member

my heart rate is usually mid/high 40s (I'm a runner), it goes up to low/mid 50s for around a week during ovulation....
  • 39flavours

my heart rate is usually mid/high 40s (I'm a runner), it goes up to low/mid 50s for around a week during ovulation....

Is this when you're asleep or when you're resting during the day?
  • thisvickyruns
    39flavours wrote: »

during the day, I don't wear my watch when I sleep
  • 39flavours

Ah OK, that's really low for during the day, must be even lower at night
  • thisvickyruns

Ah OK, that's really low for during the day, must be even lower at night

it's normal for me, I'm reasonably fit.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Fitbit's resting HR value as displayed is not what is usually considered resting HR, first thing in the morning at it's lowest.
    So you can look at your HR graph and find your morning lowest. Keep looking at that low, it's good to note those changes.

Fitbit seems to include in their value daytime resting too.

And get ready for the Dr visit when he looks at data and says this doesn't appear that low - have the phrase ready that is not normal as you were stressed and it's normally whatever lower value.

Whenever I follow the nurse in, hop on table, and get my blood pressure and they say seems high - I always respond "that seems high for just walking in and getting up here?" - to which they usually sheepishly admit maybe not.
    I'll ask if they want to try again after some restful minutes. Such a crock, which I like to make a point of since those checks allows tagging the visit for insurance as a full workup.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited September 2021
    heybales wrote: »
    Fitbit's resting HR value as displayed is not what is usually considered resting HR, first thing in the morning at it's lowest.
    So you can look at your HR graph and find your morning lowest. Keep looking at that low, it's good to note those changes.

And get ready for the Dr visit when he looks at data and says this doesn't appear that low - have the phrase ready that is not normal as you were stressed and it's normally whatever lower value.

Whenever I follow the nurse in, hop on table, and get my blood pressure and they say seems high - I always respond "that seems high for just walking in and getting up here?" - to which they usually sheepishly admit maybe not.
    I'll ask if they want to try again after some restful minutes. Such a crock, which I like to make a point of since those checks allows tagging the visit for insurance as a full workup.

my docs office always kills time before doing the BP to give it time to settle. review medication list, review reason for visit, has anything changed, yadda yadda yadda then does BP right before doc comes in

in my case, i have pretty low BP, so id just get a 'normal' reading if done soon, which, if the nurse that day bothered to look at my history, might freak her out thinking something was horribly wrong. my doc certainly would notice and retake it himself.

anyway yes, it does seem fitbit does take the daytime resting heart rate as your resting heart rate. i go by the night time one which for me is in the low 60s. was in the 50s but one of my meds has increased it a bit it seems.
  • 39flavours
    Thanks guys, mine's not a fitbit, it's a Huawei Honor band so I'm not sure if the way it measures is the same. Trying to attach a screenshot from today's reading so far,
    hope it works. Resting heartrate seems a bit higher today but I've been feeling anxious so that might be why. uds7jv9iifvz.jpg
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    That's cool it gives a range, letting you see the low that easily instead of zooming in on chunk of time and perhaps getting a specific reading to see it's low.

I'd agree not a real resting HR value either - perhaps despite attempting to figure out when you got up, these devices don't want to assume they are right, and that the low morning HR reading before wakeup really is the resting HR.
    So they just avg all the low values that perhaps have no steps during that time.
  • hjahangiri
    hjahangiri Posts: 56 Member
    Only your doctor can say for sure, so I'm glad you've already got the appointment. Your symptoms (chest pain, esp.) are concerning. If it were JUST heart rate as measured by a fitness device, I wouldn't worry - sometimes mine's a bit loose and probably not picking up all the data while I sleep. I KNOW for a FACT that my Garmin measures blood oxygen a consistent 7-9 pts. low. (My PulseOx measurements are always 98-100. Garmin would have me seeing a pulmonologist, STAT!) The rest of its measurements are spot on, but that one's just stupid. At least it's consistently stupid, so it's fine.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Low heart rate is called Bradycardia. It can be caused by a lot of things. Best to have a doc check it. But don’t worry- I’ve had it for years- even at >100 lbs overweight. Sometimes it can mean something isn’t right though so good that you’re seeing a doctor.

My heart rate runs about 43-44 even as I sit here writing this. It is normal for me. Never been to a cardiologist but numerous GP’s have told me not to worry about it.

I use a Garmin forerunner 35 (their cheapo model) and it is always spot on when I test manually.
    Make getting into the “heart rate zones” etc really challenging for me.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,960 Member

This annoys me at my doctor's office. They pretty much break every guidance on taking blood pressure. They do it first thing after they walk me back to the exam room and have me hop up on the table, no support for my feet, no support for the arm they're measuring the blood pressure in, asking me questions so I'm talking while they take it ... which you couldn't do in the old days when the person taking the measurement had to be listening with a stethoscope, but now that it's all automated, apparently there's no requirement for the person taking the BP to actually know the right way to do it.
  • callsitlikeiseeit

This annoys me at my doctor's office. They pretty much break every guidance on taking blood pressure. They do it first thing after they walk me back to the exam room and have me hop up on the table, no support for my feet, no support for the arm they're measuring the blood pressure in, asking me questions so I'm talking while they take it ... which you couldn't do in the old days when the person taking the measurement had to be listening with a stethoscope, but now that it's all automated, apparently there's no requirement for the person taking the BP to actually know the right way to do it.

that reminds me of a follow up visit my husband had at his ENT earlier this summer. The chick (not an RN, im not even sure a CNA) first didnt hook up the cuff and couldnt figure out why it wouldnt come on. then figured that out, but put the cuff on inside out on his arm, so it inflated....toward the outside. im sitting there (having been raised by a nurse who then taught nursing and wanted nothing more in the world than for ME to be a nurse and basically felt like i lived in a nursing boarding school my entire childhood thinking 'OMFG'. hubby is getting more irritated by the minute. the assistant is acting like shes never seen any of this equipment in her life. Finally gets a pressure off him, and its normal, but like me, a normal reading is HIGH for him. So I ask her to recheck the connections, and recheck his pressure. 'because that reading is high for him'... 'its a normal reading' ...'not for him its not'

now im getting irritated. up until that point i had been doing quite well to hide my irritation. hubby was not even bothering to hide HIS irritation lol

'never mind. we'll just wait for the doctor'

few minutes later, the doc comes in, I tell him what happened. he apologizes for that, shes filling in for someone, we'll do the exam and he'll do the bp himself at the end. which he did. manually. pressure was (hubbys) normal.

dont have someone fill in who cant hook up a machine a 5 year old can connect and push a button. ugh. ive never wanted to take over someones job so bad with 'here, just let me do it'
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,248 Member
    edited September 2021
    I use a program called Cardiogram.
    It works with Apple Watch, Garmin, and FitBit.

It helps me notice trends. And is generally pretty good.

https://cardiogram.com/
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    A little update
    I'm just back from the docs and the main take away from my blood test is that it shows a borderline underactive thyroid and she wants me to come back in 8 weeks for another blood test. All other markers were good including liver and cholesterol which is fantastic! We still can't get to the bottom of the chest pain, checked lungs and no issue there. She wants me to go straight to A&E the next time I get the crushing chest pain sensation so that they can take a blood sample while I'm having symptoms. We discussed my heart rate concerns and she doesn't think it's something to be worried about. She suggested that the chest pain might be related to my large beast size and said I should go and get refitted for a more supportive bra. Larger breasts can also cause difficulty breathing making exercise hard. I'm a uk size 32GG so that's a lot of weight on my chest and can cause bad posture and shoulder pain and as I'm left handed it may be why I'm feeling pain on that side. I think I need to find some strengthening exercises for my upper back so that I can see if this improves things.

if you dont already do strength training/weights at the gym, definitely look into it. the upper body work (chest, back, shoulders) will all help strengthen those muscles and may work towards giving some relief, if the chest size is contributing to the problem.