Prescription Drugs For Weight Loss

Options
First a little background: Currently 50 years old, ex-athlete, got married, had kids, got fat and decided to do something about it.

I've lost 42 lbs on my own with roughly another 40 to go. My family doc thought it would be a good idea to speak with a dietician. During the initial meeting, she presented me with four or five prescription options to aid in weight loss, one of which was an injection. She continued by stating, they would be a good option for when my weight loss plateaued and she said, "you will plateau."

I'm sorry, but I can't remember what the medications were she offered, but I emailed her for them and I'll post them when she responds, anyhow.....

How many of you have used prescription meds or injections to aid in your weight loss journey? Please share what you used or are currently using; side effects; weight lost as a direct result of the meds; would you recommend them; what would you change if presented with the same opportunity again?

Thank you for helping.

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I'm really curious to know what specific meds she was suggesting. Most of them are just stimulants, you can get the same appetite suppressant effects from black coffee. Others like Alli/Xenical are useless at best and traumatizing at worst, check out the threads about them around here.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    There are a number of very informative threads about people's experiences with weight loss drugs. You can search for the threads using the key word search. Most people's experiences were... problematic. The other thing to remember is that, yes, they will help you to lose weight, but unless you change lifestyle habits, you will immediately gain it all back, generally plus some, after you stop the drug.

BTW, most modern ones work by causing you to poo out undigested fat. And this experience can be... unpleasant.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I'm really curious to know what specific meds she was suggesting. Most of them are just stimulants, you can get the same appetite suppressant effects from black coffee. Others like Alli/Xenical are useless at best and traumatizing at worst, check out the threads about them around here.

Here's the notorious Alli/Xenical thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10290083/alli-xenical-does-it-work-please-only-answer-if-you-have-actually-taken-it/p1
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I didn't internalize healthy eating habits when my appetite was artificially suppressed by taking a legal amphetamine-like drug and I gained all the weight back when I stopped taking it. And now I am on medication for heart palpitations.

Here's my favorite post about Phentermine: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10329901/phentermine/p1
    I have seen a lot of posts on and off about this and other weight loss drugs. I can vouch that they absolutely work. I have lost a lot weight using Phentermine on and off throughout about a 10 year span.

BUT...

The weight doesn't stay off. And those side effects? They are real.

You could take Phentermine and lose the weight, but you might end up like me. I'm 30 years old, slightly over weight, and have moderate tricuspid valve regurgitation. As in, I might need open heart surgery because my heart was damaged by Phentermine. To be clear, I never took it for more than a few months at a time, was monitored by a doctor, and did everything "right".

My lifespan has likely been shortened to lose a few pounds. Weight I could have lost on my own with a little bit of gumption. It wasn't worth it.
  • flatcoatedR
    flatcoatedR Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You've successfully already lost 42 lbs. Why start using drugs now? Continued doing what you used to lose the 42 lbs. Most drugs have side accents. Why risk it.
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    This may be, okay....is, a little snarky. Meth addicts as depicted on TV are quite thin. :smiley: I guess there are also people who infect themselves with parasites to lose weight. We'll put that as Option C.

I've just started this journey (AGAIN), and if there was a pill that I knew was safe and effective, I would absolutely take it to speed up the process and not have to log food and count calories. I just don't think such a thing really exists (safe and effective that is).

Good luck on your continued journey!
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Are you diabetic? The injectable drugs that you are referencing sound like Ozempic, Saxenda and Wegovy. All of which are derived from Semaglutide which has been used to treat obesity. They have varying concentrations of Semaglutide with Saxenda being the weakest and Wegovy the strongest. Saxenda and Ozempic are used to treat Type 2 Diabetes.

If you are not diabetic and able to exercise then keep doing what you are doing. It is important to establish consistent healthy habits that lead to steady weight loss than to try to shortcut those habits and take an unneeded medication.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    I have ADHD, and my medication has been abused before for weight control. I'd already learned how to deal with the food disinterest that it causes. (This is not as helpful if you think; if you need to eat a certain number of calories to get through to the next meal, getting bored with eating 1/3 of the way through the meal is a problem.) What it did for me is to firm up my focus and willpower, so that I could resist the gentle persistent voice that says, "You could have a snack. It would be tasty...." As opposed to finding myself halfway through the snack and saying, "Why am I eating this?" because it happened mindlessly.

It certainly helps to have the amphetamine bringing my executive functions fully online, and I probably would have difficulty being successful on my diet without it, but I would have difficulty doing anything else successfully. But just like the rest of my life, the drug is merely one part of changing habits, creating positive feedback routines, and supporting my goals. It's not a miracle.

(And the fact that I forget to take it if I don't have alarms to tell me to do it and partners who ask, "Did you take your pill this morning?" says something about how addictive we who are prescribed it find it, lol.)