50+ Beginning Weight Lifting Routine

Options
I just turned 52 years old and I have been on MFP for almost 2 months. I am very overweight and am looking at an 18 month to 24 month weight loss adventure. My immediate concern is losing weight, gaining everyday strength and lowering my blood pressure. I was athletic into my 40's (even when heavy) so I am not a complete stranger to the gym etc. What I am looking for is a weight lifting routine to get things started. I will mainly be going to the public recreation center to use the weights and I will be by myself, so I was thinking to start with the series of machines. Is there any sources for a good program that fits what I am trying to do? I am currently at 400lbs and trying to get down to 250lbs. I want to make sure that I dont hurt myself and cause myself more delays. I do have concerns about bad cushioning around a lower disk in my back, it can start aching or causing issues occasionally.

Any thoughts? Searching the web always leads to pay sights etc.

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    check out these 2 beginning lifting programs online: Starting Strength and Stronglifts
  • Nattygrandad
    Nattygrandad Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would be considering a small routine to start 1 set 10 to 15 reps on each individual muscle exercise with a comfortable weight ,
    Starting with the largest muscle.
    Then start to increase your sets then your weight your lifting once this is comfortable you can do individual muscle group through the week, after each routine I would consider 10 minutes on the exercise bike steady until your endurance comes back.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Doesn't really matter what program you use if you are novel to training recently.

I would look for something simple that includes the equipment & time you have available.

If you chose to do a linear program such as starting strength (which is ok), don't run it into the ground with deloads and whatnot. Just move onto more appropriate programming after you stall on a lift.

I'm your age and train all types of sizes, age, goals, etc...don't be shy if you need some guidance and want to bounce questions off me.

Also if you have the finances a good coach(I highly stress GOOD) is literally the most efficient way to train and work towards your goals with low injury risk. Also I wouldnt higher 99% of the commercial trainers.

Biggest advice I can give to someone who is starting to train for the first time or after a hiatus is to perform less volume than you think. More stimulus is not necessary and almost always makes things way more difficult to recover correctly.