Your game changer

Hi lovely people,

I've been wondering what is everyone's game changer on their journey towards a healthier, better self? I'll start - using a food scale. At the beginning it totally blew my mind how much I underestimate especially when it comes to condiments. It has also helped me navigate portion control better. But it is a bit of pain in the *kitten* sometimes to measure every little thing, especially if I'm in a hurry.
What about you?

Have an amazing Sunday!
Mia

P.S. I'm always looking for new friends so that we can support and motivate each other on our journeys, so please add me!

Replies

• vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    I would say developing an awareness of what my calorie requirements are as well as the calorie content of foods and the calorie burn of exercise. I was reflecting about the reasons I eat: food is yummy, it’s in front of me, mindlessness, habit, social obligation etc. And it struck me that prior to this mu reason was never because my body required a particular number of calories to fuel it - in fact I had no idea what those numbers even were. So that has been a game changer for me.
  • NerdyScienceGrl
    NerdyScienceGrl Posts: 669 Member
    edited September 2021
    EyeOTS wrote: »
    Taking care of my mental health

I second this!

No matter how many tools I put in the tool box to lose/maintain weight, I can’t use them if my mental and physical health are out of whack.
  • Ms_Mia_
    Ms_Mia_ Posts: 128 Member
    vanmep wrote: »
    I would say developing an awareness of what my calorie requirements are as well as the calorie content of foods and the calorie burn of exercise. I was reflecting about the reasons I eat: food is yummy, it’s in front of me, mindlessness, habit, social obligation etc. And it struck me that prior to this mu reason was never because my body required a particular number of calories to fuel it - in fact I had no idea what those numbers even were. So that has been a game changer for me.

I can definitely relate to that - finding out the reason why you are eating. For me the main reason is simply boredom and am still trying to work on this. Anyone suggestions for hobbies I can do instead of eating hahaha?
  • Ms_Mia_
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Hmm, the game changer for me was simply realising I actually COULD lose weight, that my metabolism wasn't doomed. I grew up with a mom who complained weight loss was impossible and I thought my weight gain was inevitable and irreversible like hers (according to her).

But, lo and behold, once I started tracking my food intake and weighing my foods, I not only lost weight, but I actually realized I don't even have a slow metabolism.

I am so happy for you and that you found out what works best for you! Believing in yourself is definitely a big milestone, at least in my opinion. Also I've noticed that once your results start showing surprising number of people around you are not supportive. I'm guessing they start feeling worse about themselves and try to pull you down with them, unfortunately this also includes family. So shake off that negativity and continue being awesome!
  • Ms_Mia_
    EyeOTS wrote: »
    Taking care of my mental health

For someone struggling with depression and anxiety this hits so close to home. Once you start taking care of your ming everything else starts following suit
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Having the internet to learn about my dietary reactions and their underlying causes which had been blanked by our national health service. I'd done calories/Atkins and all but nothing helped me feel really well let alone get near a sensible weight. I discovered salicylate intolerance, addressed by eliminations, Thanks to an Australian Hospital. I even tried lactose free, no change, later I proved to be casein intolerant.

I read as much free scientific information as I could get my hands on, verified/cross referenced on different sites. Followed by reading several over seas medical professionals free web-sites, all giving me the same insights worded differently, I knew what I needed.

Then I looked nationally for some way of accessing a similar approach. Eventually I fond one. We addressed my
    many underlying health issues with dietary substitutions for even more identified intolerances and appropriate imported medical supplements. I lost more than a third but not quite half my body weight. I was one stone short of my goal that was 7-8 years ago. Even with some covid comfort eating and more advancing age, I can't gain weight as I used to, my systems work in unison. I'm more healthy in my 70's than in my 30's. I deeply wish all this information and support had been available to me in my 20's when my symptoms got going. I'd have been saved all the years of health struggling, being told it was all my fault.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    habeebz921 wrote: »
    To stop baking while i am trying to lose weight. I cannot eat just one piece of cake so abstain from that for time being. Bake less- manage calorie deficit-lose weight.

That's funny, because I love to bake (in the fall and winter, mostly) and have no problem leaving it alone. IF I dont have any to begin with. If I have some, its game over. But if I make it and just leave it for my husband and son.... it doesn't bother me in the least (cakes, pies, breads, stuff like that).

There are a few exceptions - more in the line of bite size candies done around the holidays. fudge, buckeyes, preacher balls (whatever theyre called, something like that). christmas crack.... things like THAT are dangerous for me to make. i make them but usually give my son (teenager so im sure he eats it all in 10 minutes lol) his to keep in his room, hubby to keep in his truck (winter so it wont melt or anything), save a small portion for me (and keep it in freezer so its not easily grabbable off counter when i walk by), and give away whatever remains (if any).