HCG versus lapband

Options
I'm looking into both and I've heard good things from both, and I know I have people that have tried both on here. So...your experiences please? No comments unless you have actually tried them, or know someone well that has please. And no being negative just for the sake of it either lol.

Replies

• aclark6818
    aclark6818 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Don't know much about HCG. My sister had the lapband & she's really struggling to drop weight. She lost more weight on South Beach. Good Luck
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    well... I'm going to be a negative Nancy here. I've seen people do the HCG, and really didn't lose weight. They're consuming about 500 calories daily, and their body goes into starvation mode, so they're not keeping their metabolism going. Plus, I had a friend tell me that her tastebuds changed so much that the foods she was "allowed" to eat were making her sick, so she REALLY wasn't eating.

I'm a lapbander going on 2 years, and I've had nothing but issues with it. Earlier this year, I found out I have a leak in my band, and insurance will not cover any revisions, or removal. The only thing my surgeon wants me to do is to keep coming back on a monthly basis, pay $100 for each visit, and keep getting filled. Also, earlier this year, I had strep throat, and I started having more drainage. Well, when you have drainage, and when you try to eat, it forms into a big blob, and you can't pass it thru the lap band, causing you to get sick, causing you to not eat your proper nutrition. So, I've been on a plateau with the lap band.

Really.... in all honesty, ... using this site for 6 months has helped me lose more weight than the lap band has in 2 years. I wouldn't give this tool up for the world!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I suggest neither.

Healthy food and exercise.

although I do know someone who has had great success with a lapband. I also know someone who got deathly ill and needed a reversal surgery to save her life. not worth the risk IMO. And HCG is just disgusting in every way. Injecting a hormone found in pregnant women's pee and starving yourself? That is in no way healthy.
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that did HCG, lost a bunch of weight on it but was tired all the time, and then when she went back to eating normally gained it all back and then some. She said she was miserable when she was following the strict HCG diet, too.

My friends that have done lapband are a mixed bag. Some are having huge success with it and some are really struggling to drop any weight at all, but (to me) it seems a little better than the HCG. At least, they don't SEEM like they are constantly starving.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    HCG is simply a fraud. Simple as that.
    Anyone would lose weight on 500 calories per day, and the price tag for the injections is inexcusable.
    Eventually you will need to eat a lot more than 500 calories and your metabolism will be shot and you will gain weight much more easily.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Unless you learn to eat better and look at it as a life style change, then you're wasting your time with either IHMO.
  • estepteau
    Options
    Just eat healthy and exercise! There is no secret to weight loss!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I'm looking into both and I've heard good things from both, and I know I have people that have tried both on here. So...your experiences please? No comments unless you have actually tried them, or know someone well that has please. And no being negative just for the sake of it either lol.

I am on HCG for a non-dietary related reason. I don't think it's had any impact on my weight but it's helped me with certain things like self control, however; that could also just be due to the HCG helping to correct the problem and it's just normal for me.

My aunt and uncle had something similar to Lapband but they've put a lot of the weight back on.

Is your weight that severe where you need something more invasive? Your picture doesn't really look like it. Have you tried some diet improvement and exercise?
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    How about a well portioned, well rounded diet of whole foods, and exercise? I hear it works wonders, and you don't have to have surgery or inject yourself with pregnant urine!
  • livinghcglacey
    Options
    dont you have to eat considerably less with both? why dont you just eat considerably less now, make healthy choices, throw out all junk, refuse to eat out, and exercise 3x a week? i'm not an expert in any way, and i'm new to weight loss, but i'm just thinking.... maybe??? i cut out pop ( i only drank on average 3 a week to begin with), cut down sugar and starchy foods, eat my fruit and vege servings/day and make sure i eat lean proteins...i've lost 13 lbs in about 35 days. :)
  • Waynes_World
    Options
    The lap band is a nice tool to have if you are committed to a life style change. If you do not change your eating habits and exercise you will not be successful with the band. With that being said I can tell you I love my band. It was one of the best things I have done. I had the surgery 10 months ago and I have lost around 140 pounds post op. But like I said you have to exercise and follow the diet guidelines for the band.

I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide !
  • Danidelion
    Options
    Ok look...I have been on and off of diets my whole life, I have a lot of self control issues and basically I have lost a lot of faith that I can do this on my own. I understand that eating right and exercising will get you to lose weight, OBVIOUSLY. I never said it didn't. I just feel like I need some help that my medical insurance will cover because I don't have money to hire a trainer or anything expensive. Not everyone has the same success by themselves. I hate how every time I post on the forums I feel attacked, all I wanted was some personal experiences from a neutral standpoint, thank you for the people that did give me that. But I don't like feeling yelled at, I wouldn't do that to anyone else. I'm not trying to find a shortcut or a crutch, just a helping hand. I would still put in all the work that your supposed to put in in achieving a healthier lifestyle.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    If you have to pick one over the other, go with the cheaper non permanent option. With 115 lbs to lose you'll be OK on a VLCD either lap band or HCG. But like the other's have said you don't need to do either. You CAN do this without the additional help. MFP works.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • Corby86
    Corby86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend homeopathic HCG at all (unless you have seen a qualified homeopath who has prescribed it for you). It is a homeopathic preparation of a pregnancy hormone.

Homeopathic remedies can have a profound effect if used correctly (and this takes a lot of study & years of practice), by taking homeopathic HCG you risk screwing with your endocrine system - NOT something you want.

I don't personally study homeopathy so my knowledge is limited...but this is the response I got when I asked the homeopathy lecturer at my college.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    IDK neither seems good to me. I have known people who had the lapband and they have had major health problems since or gained weight back because their eating habits are the same. HCG seems like another temporary fix to me.
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    being overweight is not something that should be cured by curbing the quantity of food you eat. It should be the types of food you eat. Neither of your presented options are your best options.
  • Corby86
    Options
    As for the lapband - good luck finding a surgeon who will ethically perform the procedure on you. . .looking at your photo it doesn't seem that you have much more weight to lose.

I feel that unless the procedure is for life-saving (ie. hundreds of pounds) purposes it should not be done... you are making a permanent change to the anatomy of your digestive system and this is not to be taken lightly because you will have to change your entire life forever.
  • Corby86
    Options
    Just eat healthy and exercise! There is no secret to weight loss!

AMEN SISTER!!!
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have read through all of the posts, and I do not think you were being attacked. In fact, I think you were being extremely supported, and people were looking out for your best interests. Weight loss and lifestyle change are not easy...and there are really no "quick fixes." You said you have self control issues...well, HCG, Lap Band, or anything else for that matter are not going to fix that problem. It's something that you have to work through yourself.

We will all be here supporting you and helping you through it when you decide you are ready to take control of your life. No insurance needed.
  • degausspdx
    degausspdx Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Well, I for one have lost over 50 lbs on HCG. I've had neighbors do lap band and are still struggling. One thing I will say about HCG, while you will likely lose weight (most lose 3/4 -1lb a day) it is very strict in the first 2 phases, phase 2 being the VLCD (500 calorie) phase and the foods are VERY limited. It can be very tough. That said, after the first week on phase 2 most cravings and hunger issues have subsided and you just get through it knowing it'll pay off in the end. Now, I've done 3 rounds of HCG. First one I lost 30lbs kept it off. 2nd lost 20, put back the whole 20lbs. 3rd lost that 20 again and have kept it off. I mention this because following the protocol after completion is VERY important. The thing about HCG is it can be a fast way to get the initial pounds off. The bad thing is most people treat it like a 'diet' and don't read the entire protocol to make the permanent life changes to keep the weight off permanently. This is the danger spot. Go back to your old ways after done you WILL gain back all the weight you lost and probably then some again. I've been off for 6 months and notice if I get too out of hand one stuff I'll put on some weight. But I follow the protocol immediatly (steak day) to address that and immediately return to my set point. This is a good start for HCG, find the Pounds and Inches guide online and read it. Lapband to me is WAY more extrme. Surgery in my mind is a last ditch effort. Try HCG first and if you don't lose there lapband or bypass may be the ticket for you. HCG is NOT a fraud if done by a real ND or other professional. HCG with holistic drops IS a fraud and should be avoided. I did HCG under ND care and it was tough, but VERY effective. It's not cheap but it does work and any speaking against it have likely not gone to a professional for the program. DMPIZZA has a point about more than 500 calories but has obviously not read the entire protocol to understand HOW and WHEN to add more calories and variety back in. I'm currently at 1600 calories a day and mostly stay within my 2lbs of goal weight. Any further questions about HCG I'll be happy to address, just PM me.