HCG versus lapband

Options

Replies

• MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    As for the lapband - good luck finding a surgeon who will ethically perform the procedure on you. . .looking at your photo it doesn't seem that you have much more weight to lose.

I feel that unless the procedure is for life-saving (ie. hundreds of pounds) purposes it should not be done... you are making a permanent change to the anatomy of your digestive system and this is not to be taken lightly because you will have to change your entire life forever.

In all actuality, any surgeon will perform the surgery on you, as long as you have the cash for it. Most insurance companies now want you to be a certain BMI before the procedure will even be considered. Even then, you have to show proof sometimes of you trying other non-surgical diets, like Weight Watchers, a doctor-written diet plan, etc.... and show that it wasn't effective.

A "moral" surgeon would set his own personal criteria and say what BMI is and isn't acceptable for surgery.
  • Corby86
    Corby86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    As for the lapband - good luck finding a surgeon who will ethically perform the procedure on you. . .looking at your photo it doesn't seem that you have much more weight to lose.

I feel that unless the procedure is for life-saving (ie. hundreds of pounds) purposes it should not be done... you are making a permanent change to the anatomy of your digestive system and this is not to be taken lightly because you will have to change your entire life forever.

In all actuality, any surgeon will perform the surgery on you, as long as you have the cash for it. Most insurance companies now want you to be a certain BMI before the procedure will even be considered. Even then, you have to show proof sometimes of you trying other non-surgical diets, like Weight Watchers, a doctor-written diet plan, etc.... and show that it wasn't effective.

Luckily there are insurance companies. . .assuming you guys are in the USA where the medical industry is extremely different and very driven by $$. . . i'm sure you're probably right that any surgeon would do it for the money. But would that be doing it ethically?
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Ok look...I have been on and off of diets my whole life, I have a lot of self control issues and basically I have lost a lot of faith that I can do this on my own. I understand that eating right and exercising will get you to lose weight, OBVIOUSLY. I never said it didn't. I just feel like I need some help that my medical insurance will cover because I don't have money to hire a trainer or anything expensive. Not everyone has the same success by themselves. I hate how every time I post on the forums I feel attacked, all I wanted was some personal experiences from a neutral standpoint, thank you for the people that did give me that. But I don't like feeling yelled at, I wouldn't do that to anyone else. I'm not trying to find a shortcut or a crutch, just a helping hand. I would still put in all the work that your supposed to put in in achieving a healthier lifestyle.

What's funny about this is people DO usually yell and make snarky comments about HCG, (myself included) but none of that happened here. You have not been attacked from what I can see. I just read a lot of comments from people hoping that you find a healthy way to achieve your goals. You just didn't get any of the answers that you WANTED to hear. I mean this sincerely, good luck. You have everything in front of you. I personally know people who have had success with weight loss surgery, (my very best friend) and I know one person who actually DIED. So, there you go.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Ok look...I have been on and off of diets my whole life, I have a lot of self control issues and basically I have lost a lot of faith that I can do this on my own. I understand that eating right and exercising will get you to lose weight, OBVIOUSLY. I never said it didn't. I just feel like I need some help that my medical insurance will cover because I don't have money to hire a trainer or anything expensive. Not everyone has the same success by themselves. I hate how every time I post on the forums I feel attacked, all I wanted was some personal experiences from a neutral standpoint, thank you for the people that did give me that. But I don't like feeling yelled at, I wouldn't do that to anyone else. I'm not trying to find a shortcut or a crutch, just a helping hand. I would still put in all the work that your supposed to put in in achieving a healthier lifestyle.

What's funny about this is people DO usually yell and make snarky comments about HCG, (myself included) but none of that happened here. You have not been attacked from what I can see. I just read a lot of comments from people hoping that you find a healthy way to achieve your goals. You just didn't get any of the answers that you WANTED to hear. I mean this sincerely, good luck. You have everything in front of you. I personally know people who have had success with weight loss surgery, (my very best friend) and I know one person who actually DIED. So, there you go.

I personally made sure not to attack and see noone here attacking either. karin is right on.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Never done hcg but I hate my lapband. I've changed my eating, exercise and have nothing in it and still throw up. I've hard more negative and experienced more negative than positive with mine. I emptied mine and have lost weight on my own.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    this is actually the most civil discussion of these topics I have ever seen here.

(and I still say "neither")
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    Options
    I hope I wasn't being mean, or hurtful with my comments. If I came off that way, I apologize!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    You weren't, Kelly...some people take offense at anything that doesn't directly agree with what they want to hear.

Apparently the truth hurts.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    If you just want to try it, have the money to blow incase it doesn't work, then go HCG.
    Who knows, maybe you get some eating tips or something.

Just get it from a dr or weight loss centre.

I don't trust online sources, or the homeopathic versions.
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I do not know anyone personally who has done HCG, so my only comment on that would be that I do not think it is healthy.

I do know someone (a coworker) who had the lap band procedure and she has had nothing but issues with it. She initially lost weight and now has gained all of it back.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options

I also have self control 'issues'. The yelling and criticism from friends is what I NEED them to do. I don't like being told I am wrong, or am doing something irrational... but it doesn't matter. It's what keeps me in check.

Just think about it, ok?
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    Options

I also have self control 'issues'. The yelling and criticism from friends is what I NEED them to do. I don't like being told I am wrong, or am doing something irrational... but it doesn't matter. It's what keeps me in check.

Just think about it, ok?

Would that fit under the category of "constructive criticism?"
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I am on HCG and have lost 85 pounds on it so far (started May 4). I do recommend you go through a clinic that includes an MD and registered nurses. Also a chiropractor is helpful because they are more educated on nutrition. They prescribe lots of supplements so that you are no malnutritioned and you check in every week which is a lot of accountability. My step sister and her mom did lapband and neither have gotten to their goal weights. They both had it done over 2 years ago. I still have 130 pounds to go (have lost 115 total so far) and truly believe I can get to my goal with HCG. The diet is strict, but it gets the pounds off. As long as you follow the maintenance part of the diet when you are done, then you won't put it back on. Maintenance is normal healthy eating, normal amount of calories. Just very little processed foods and simple carbs.

I understand your struggle to not be able to change your eating habits right now. This diet has helped me change my habits and my relationship with food.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Surgery is always the last thing you should every do because there is always a chance something can go wrong and people can die. I personally, have known someone that this happened to so I would not recommend a lap band. Second, HCG is a scam, you can only eat 500 calories which is extremely unhealthy for you for many reason. If you would like, below is a thread that discusses it a bit. But several institutes (Nation Institute for Health and American College of Sports Medicine) have done the research and produced findings.

Now, I completely understand the control issues, but you made the first step to change your ways. If you push yourself to come on here every day, you can do it. If you feel like you are slipping, please make a post. Heck, many of us will personally work with you if you ask for it to improve your situation (I know if you sent me a private message, I would work with you every day if you wanted). Please keep in mind, you didn't gain weight over night, so you won't lose it over night. It takes dedication, as it would with both HCG and Lapband. It's not something you can just get done and forget about it.

What personally helped my friend lose over 100 lbs was P90X (and it's helped me lose as well). It's an in home workout program, he modified the moves until he had the strength to do them and the only person that could judge him was himself. Also, keep in mind this site is full of people who have gone through your situation and there are a ton of resource and motivation we can provide you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/311640-confused-about-the-magic-1200
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Neither. Create a plan and stick with it. If you can't then it's a discipline issue you need to fix first.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    so, my sister's boyfriends mothers hairdresser's daughter had a friend who did both. First she did the HCG (Hungry Crazy Girl) diet and loved it, but was a hungry crazy girl, then ate everything in sight and gained it all back, so then she had the lapband done. She never learned to eat right, so she gained that all back, too.... Moral of the story is eat cleanerand work out. :flowerforyou:
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about the Lap Band myself and read up on it on WebMd. I would not be able to to the HCG because I am positive I could not stick to the 500 Calories per day. I can barely stick to the 1480 on here. Anyway, a co-worker of mine has battled weight all of her life. She had done every diet out there. She had the lap band done a little over a year ago and she has lost over a 100 pounds and says she has not had any problems and it has changed her life for the better. I read on WebMd that some folks end up having to have the band remove but it is good to know you can have it removed. I have physical limitations due to a couple of strokes and a heart attack so I can't exercise much which is why I have popped on so much weight. I did go to a nutritionist a few years ago and picked up some good info - I have not eaten a hot dog since after seeing that test tube of fat she pulled out for one hot dog! If your insurance will pay, you may want to talk to a Nutritionist. Another thing is to see an endicronologist. I had an undiagnosed thyroid problem that led to the heart attack - no clogged arteries. It would not hurt to rule out a few things before doing either. Good Luck what ever you decide. Weight issues are a pain in the butt!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options

Just think about it, ok?

Would that fit under the category of "constructive criticism?"

Yes. Kid gloves don't work.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    If it's a discipline thing you have issues with, I would go see a psychologist or someone to that effect.
  • kt4president
    Options
    I've had a couple of friends lose weight using HCG but both spoke of how horrible it was during the process. One lost over 100lbs. It can definately work, but make sure you know what you're getting into. Good luck to you.