Extreme obesity and paper plates. Question for people in the USA

Options

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    There are some extremely interesting posts on the thread.

I asked the question because I was genuinely interested to know the prevalence of disposable crockery and cutlery. From this unscientific, unrepresentative and not statistically significant snapshot, it does seem that the use of paper plates is more common in the USA than in the UK. Coming from a very damp small island, it did not occur to me that obtaining water for washing up could be a problem. So I have learnt something.

Full disclosure, I have some paper plates in my kitchen cupboard leftover from the BBQ season. They are likely to site there until next summer.

I don't know if I dare say - Another surprise watching My 600lb life is that judging from the nature and condition of their homes, many of the participants live in poverty. I suppose this is because they can not work due to their size and are in receipt of benefits. Nevertheless, they often (although not always) own very nice cars.

I'm guessing a car is provided by the show if there is no suitable vehicle owned.

I have never watched this show, but I am having a hard time imagining someone who weighs 600 lbs fitting inside a car, much less behind the wheel and able to drive it. Or is 600 lb life not meant literally? Are there a lot of contestants* below 400 lbs (which is about the point where my imagination can't picture someone being able to drive).

*Again, I haven't seen the show, so apologies if the participants aren't actually contesting for anything. Is it more like that nanny show whose exact title I can't remember, or Queer Eye, or those home makeover shows, where people are just swooping in to try fix some aspect of someone's life, in this case their weight, rather than people competing to see how much weight they can lose?

At my heaviest I was 387, and was still fully mobile and self sufficient and cared for my ex and grandparents and drove ;) good thing, no one else could lol

its not a competition of any kind- not like biggest loser. more like their personal story. how they gained the weight, then their surgery, the post surgery and how they do after. I haven't seen a lot of episodes, mostly earlier ones. the people range in weight from probably 500ish to 700ish? Many of them, particularly the larger ones, do not fit in the seats of the cars (or minivans)- they lay in the back of the vans, which is quite sad, and something I had never even considered before watching the show.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    I buy plastic spoons for my kid to take to school in their lunch for yogurt, only because I am none too keen on my actual silverware being lost or accidentally thrown in the bin! Paper plates/bowls/etc are good for bigger gatherings or cookouts/BBQ's but I literally can't remember the last time I bought any.

random on dishwashing - the previous owners of our house were this super sweet little old couple who had lived there ~50 years. They never had a dishwasher and did all their dishes by hand. The kitchen countertops were formica (I am sure I'm spelling that wrong?) and there was a place on the counter beside the sink below the cupboard where they put plates that was actually worn down from where they would stack the plates and bowls in between washing and drying after every meal.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,969 Member
    Options

I asked the question because I was genuinely interested to know the prevalence of disposable crockery and cutlery. From this unscientific, unrepresentative and not statistically significant snapshot, it does seem that the use of paper plates is more common in the USA than in the UK. Coming from a very damp small island, it did not occur to me that obtaining water for washing up could be a problem. So I have learnt something.

Full disclosure, I have some paper plates in my kitchen cupboard leftover from the BBQ season. They are likely to site there until next summer.

I don't know if I dare say - Another surprise watching My 600lb life is that judging from the nature and condition of their homes, many of the participants live in poverty. I suppose this is because they can not work due to their size and are in receipt of benefits. Nevertheless, they often (although not always) own very nice cars.

I'm guessing a car is provided by the show if there is no suitable vehicle owned.

I have never watched this show, but I am having a hard time imagining someone who weighs 600 lbs fitting inside a car, much less behind the wheel and able to drive it. Or is 600 lb life not meant literally? Are there a lot of contestants* below 400 lbs (which is about the point where my imagination can't picture someone being able to drive).

*Again, I haven't seen the show, so apologies if the participants aren't actually contesting for anything. Is it more like that nanny show whose exact title I can't remember, or Queer Eye, or those home makeover shows, where people are just swooping in to try fix some aspect of someone's life, in this case their weight, rather than people competing to see how much weight they can lose?

At my heaviest I was 387, and was still fully mobile and self sufficient and cared for my ex and grandparents and drove ;) good thing, no one else could lol

its not a competition of any kind- not like biggest loser. more like their personal story. how they gained the weight, then their surgery, the post surgery and how they do after. I haven't seen a lot of episodes, mostly earlier ones. the people range in weight from probably 500ish to 700ish? Many of them, particularly the larger ones, do not fit in the seats of the cars (or minivans)- they lay in the back of the vans, which is quite sad, and something I had never even considered before watching the show.

Thanks.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I’m not going to chime in on the environmental side or the moral high ground side (great reading though!), but the cost thing is interesting. In the UK water meters are fairly new (as in, last 10-20 yrs in most places) so we used to pay a flat rate for our water. As a kid we would never have had paper or plastic plates or utensils as that would have been expensive - parents would have baulked at paying for stuff like that when we had perfectly good plates at home.

So as someone who has very very rarely used paper plates - don’t they get soggy / struggle to hold a volume of food?? Can they cope with baked beans or a decent sized jacket spud for instance?
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options

600 lbs is indeed literal, some have been heavier. I don't think any participants have started the show below 500 lbs.

Not all can drive but many do fit into vehicles, usually minivans or pickups, but I've seen a few sedans too. Depends a lot on the distribution of the excess weight.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    I’m not going to chime in on the environmental side or the moral high ground side (great reading though!), but the cost thing is interesting. In the UK water meters are fairly new (as in, last 10-20 yrs in most places) so we used to pay a flat rate for our water. As a kid we would never have had paper or plastic plates or utensils as that would have been expensive - parents would have baulked at paying for stuff like that when we had perfectly good plates at home.

So as someone who has very very rarely used paper plates - don’t they get soggy / struggle to hold a volume of food?? Can they cope with baked beans or a decent sized jacket spud for instance?

There are degrees of thickness so, yeah, some can hold heavier items and not have food p,opping onto the ground or something. A commercial comes to mind, I think it was for Hefty, that shows just that.

And since this is also a hill I'm apparently willing to die on, whoever asked if that was being a bit dramatic, it's not to be taken literally. Just something the young'uns say now to say it's a cause they'll fight for.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options

I grew up in boats and outdoors so we used disposable stuff a lot when I was young. These help:

914TohNxUeL._AC_UL116_SR116,116_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Fox-Run-5493-Bamboo-Holders/dp/B001AT3KPW/ref=asc_df_B001AT3KPW/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198090964233&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12487617596011253973&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033270&hvtargid=pla-318953024809&psc=1

i remember those!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    This is such an awesome thread.

It's a fairly benign and unimportant question in the whole scheme of things that has now morphed into Moral High Ground and has gone on for five pages so far.

Don't ever change, MFP.

i doubt it ever will LOL
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

I must be watching older seasons. They are almost always in minivans in the seasons I've seen, they aren't nice cars.

I do think the show provides a rental to use in Houston though, they have to be able to fit the camera in there and stuff, there are other reasons for them to provide a generously sized car.
  • ythannah
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    And since this is also a hill I'm apparently willing to die on, whoever asked if that was being a bit dramatic, it's not to be taken literally. Just something the young'uns say now to say it's a cause they'll fight for.

Yes, it's just an expression, meaning this (the hill) may or may not be something I'm so invested in that I want to continue to fight ("die on") for it.

And it's not just a young 'un thing because I'm an oldie and it's one I've used a fair bit.
  • ythannah
    Options
    Something I meant to say in an earlier post is that the 600 lb threshold isn't really very meaningful as an absolute anyway. 600 pounds is vastly different on a 5' female and a 6'4" male. All the participants are what Dr Now calls super morbidly obese.

This didn't really click for me until one episode with quite a short female participant whose weight certainly wasn't the highest number I've ever seen but the doctor told her she had the highest BMI of anyone on the show. It was over 100.